Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mall Punk Emo: The Ultimate Triumph of a Scene/Counter-Culture
Old 02 Oct 2007, 13:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003
Default Mall Punk Emo: The Ultimate Triumph of a Scene/Counter-Culture

I've got to say, for all their faults, they've done what no scene has done since the original punks, they've made everybody hate them.

At the end of the day, as a counter culture and an alternative hipster scene, there can be no greater triumph than this. Utter loathing by everybody. With a set of alternative fashion, shocking style and utterly bizzare ethos, they've outraged not only the mainstream, but even the other hipster scenes. And, as much as I want to deny it, there can be no greater achievement for any counter culture genre than this. (With the exception of hair metal, which we'll ignore for now due to the completely opposite ethos that pervades in hair metal). They've managed to gain incredibly wide mainstream publicity (something indie, goths and the original emo could not do) whilst also earning mainstream hate (something hip hop, alternative rock and house could not do).

Panic! at the Disco gets projectiles thrown at them at concerts, Fall Out Boy is the laughing stock of every internet nerd (finally! somebody more loser than us lol!) and even I've personally dreamed up my brakes happening to give out as MCR are crossing the road. Saying you support and like mall punk emo these days will earn you the collective hatred of indie, goths, original emos, alternative rock, punks, pop punks (who have absolutely no right to speak), glam rockers, metal-heads of every flavour, and even modern hip hop fans! (Who before this I was SURE remained completely oblivious to anything in the world that actually mattered due to the severe learning disabilities).

The only genre I haven't seen declare war on mall punk emo is house, and that might be because that every house fan I know is far too apathetic and lifeless to express hate, like some kind of funk robot designed for the soul purpose of mindless partying.

So, they've got, public hatred, check, disdain by fellow scenesters, check, overly grandiose supposed magnus opus to go down in the history of music, check (Black Parade by MCR, also known as "okay guys, just do everything Queen did, we're bound to get something right one of these days), utterly insane and ugly clothing style, check.

Of course, many people would argue that mall punk emo is already no longer a proper hipster scene because it is merely a mainstream manufactured perversion of the original emo and pop punk (i still maintain pop punk is worse than current emo has come up with though), but I would disagree due to the fact that their culture, ethos and fashion is still far too out there and it's very easy to tell a proper scenester from just your 15 year old sister listening to this. A genre is properly perverted by the mainstream when you just can't tell them apart anymore. ie. RnB, Post Grunge, Crunk, etc. For example, whilst you can spot Kurt Cobaine a mile off (if he were still alive) due to his habit of wearing whatever he happened to find lying around (as is the grunge style, leading to some terrifying fashion statements) you can't tell Chad Kroeger (lead singer of Nickleback, a post grunge band) apart from just a guy with a really stupid haircut.

Mall Punk Emo has still maintained it's individuality. If you took a look at whatever the hell the lead singer of Panic! at the Disco is named you won't think "oh look, there's a regular guy who just happened to dip his hair in black paint, fell into that standard red marching band tuxedo which we all have lying around in our bedroom i'm sure, and botched up the makeup to a clockwork orange themed party".

So opinions, by our rampant hatred of this most peculiar of a genre/scene, did we in fact create a monster far more successful than us? (successful in the weird way you measure success by in counter culture)

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2007, 01:12   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Mall Punk Emo: The Ultimate Triumph of a Scene/Counter-Culture

is that what that type of music is called?
god I really loath those bands. just hate them. there music sucks and ive noticed that the only people that advertise these bands (you know like wearing them having them on their binder ect.) are those like 15-16 year old fags who want to be punk but don't know any real punk bands like say leftover crack or the casualties or the addicts, so they think of some "punk" mainstream band and slap on a my chemical romance shirt coat themselves with a corpse bride sweater and die that one strand of hair in front of their face purple and put a whole bunch of stupid buttons on their backpack. I swear dude.....
SkaR98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2007, 01:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to kin7777 Send a message via MSN to kin7777

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaR98
leftover crack
Props, one of the greatest political bands ever. Glad to see someone else knows of them. **** world trade, eh? You did, however, forget their umlauts. It's actually Leföver Crack. =p

As for the Mall Emo's (I refuse to grant them the label of Punk whatsoever), as much as I dislike it, I must grant them a round of applause. The sheer amount of controversy and utter hate from everyone they have generated for themselves is that to rival those members of the original Punk movement back in the '80's. In many ways, it's turned into the fact that they are disliked because they've done what many other movements have tried to do and failed to commit to on the scale of these guys.

While I must grant them that, it doesn't change how much I despise these things.

Their music sucks- it's just a bunch of whiny lyrics about how your pathetic, meagre existence in the epitome of suburbia is so disdainful. Let's throw you in a Sudanese sweat shop, see how you like it then.

Their clothing sucks- it's all just a rip off of old punk with a pathetic twist. Let's go spend $100 on a pair of pants at Hot Topic that've been made through third world child labour, spend a few hours trying to manage to fit them on, get dropped off by my parents at the closest mall, then go cry in a corner about my mediocre existence.

Everything about them sucks- while they have all of this negative attention, they aren't even using it. The punks used the attention the grabbed to throw up controversial political views. They don't do anything to destroy their stereotypes; they accentuate them.

All in all, they should be commended for the controversy they've created- it's the envy of all other low down cultures and mindsets-, but it's all a bunch of bullshit of how it got there and what they're doing with it.

PUNK'S NOT DEAD
Think, it's not illegal yet.
kin7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2007, 04:26   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Their music sucks- it's just a bunch of whiny lyrics about how your pathetic, meagre existence in the epitome of suburbia is so disdainful.* Let's throw you in a Sudanese sweat shop, see how you like it then.

Their clothing sucks- it's all just a rip off of old punk with a pathetic twist.* Let's go spend $100 on a pair of pants at Hot Topic that've been made through third world child labour, spend a few hours trying to manage to fit them on, get dropped off by my parents at the closest mall, then go cry in a corner about my mediocre existence.

OH MY GOD yes! yes! dude you hit right on! thats exactly wat i was thinking (just not very good with words :P)
btw i knew how that was really spelled just didn't know how to add the umlauts. i didn't think anybody on this site would even know bout em so i just hoped no one would notice*
my friend has that shirt the Unseen one with "so this is freedom?"

Old 03 Oct 2007, 07:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Haha, well this topic was only a natural progression of the "Hip-Hop suxors!!1!" of old.

I will here, on this forum, in this den of metal-heads and supposed musical elitists, say that I love Mall Punk Emo, or whatever title you would like to give it. Frankly, as far as I'm concerned it's still pop-punk or pop-rock. Either way, there can be no denying that the bands in question are talented both in their musicianship, and in their marketing.

Now, I'm not naive enough to try and argue the musicianship issue with a group who have already made up their minds (read: close minded snobs ). I will say that mongoose hit the nail on the head. The popularity that the genre enjoys stems as much from the hate it receives as from the love that it gets. Every smelly, parachute pant-wearing, teenager lamenting about how the genre is garbage is only fueling the fire. Kids/adults/people who like music without preconceived biases want to know why the topic is so polarized. So they listen to an album. Some love it, others don't. There is a very obvious neutral 'base' in the debate. It's large but normally passed over. You don't need to love or hate Fall Out Boy, but those who rant and rave bring them into the limelight regardless.

For all the faults the scene has (and it has some big ones) it's fanbase is still as legitimate as any other. Except they're in the spotlight. And that means they'll always be targeted. Anyways, I have a feeling that for all the moaning and groaning anti-pop punkers do, it simply stems from a want to be in the same position.

[hr]

PS: Also everyone is making value judgements and giving no substantial support. Tell me why Fall Out Boy 'suxors lol', not that they do. 90% of the time someone has bashed a band, I've never seen a decent case being given. You might not like the lyrics, the vocals or the actual music, but that doesn't make it suck. You just might not like it. Now run along and listen to the incoherent noise you call grindcore...

PPS: Leftover Crack, are a great punk rock band. But you really need to be disillusioned to take anything they say to heart. I've seen way to many teens running around spouting lyrics like they were dogma. Are you really going to burn that prison down? Is it the best idea kill cops? You decide. And for all the musical love that I have for the group, it still surprises me to see that they have a Myspace page, the epitome of consumerist mega-profiling. My respect for them dropped a little...

PPPS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kin7777
The punks used the attention the grabbed to throw up controversial political views.
Yes, The Casualties' "Drinking is Our Way Of Life" or The Misfits' "Skulls" did a lot for socio-political problems...

[hr]

I typed a bit more then I wanted. I'm sure this topic will continue like it has. I suppose I'll swing by now and again...
Old 03 Oct 2007, 07:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Crazed... I'd never thought of it that way before, but it makes a whole lot of sense. They're wrong when they say that "no one understands me!!11!", but they're actually correct in thinking that absolutely no one likes them...

Quote:
<snip>are those like 15-16 year old fags who want to be punk but don't know any rea<snip>
Be advised that using the term "gay" or "fag" or the like in a derogatory manner is absolutely not tolerated.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2007, 08:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Note that I am neither for nor against Mall Emo in this topic. I despise the subculture but then that's what this type of scene is supposed to make me do.

As for the musical merits of these bands, it's very hard to say because our judgement of it is so clouded by our contempt for the subculture. But if you look at the critical receptions to say, The Black Parade by My Chemical Romance:

Quote:
] Rolling Stone went on to rank The Black Parade #20 in its "Top 50 Albums of 2006" feature.[22] Spin magazine named it the 5th best album of 2006.[23]
And the majority of the professional reviews for the album generally laid at the 80% region. The point is it's not as black and white as you'd think (pun not intended).

And it's okay really, Exokan, it's almost impossible to have a discussion of mall emo without having large amounts of aggressive criticisms anyway. And I can't even be bothered to defend mall emo because down at the core I still don't like them that much. But from an objective standpoint the controversy they generated hasn't been seen since oh...let's say.....Sex Pistols (maybe I'm being a bit over the top here, but it's late, I'm tired and it's the only band I can think of).

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2007, 21:55   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
Crazed... I'd never thought of it that way before, but it makes a whole lot of sense. They're wrong when they say that "no one understands me!!11!", but they're actually correct in thinking that absolutely no one likes them...

Quote:
<snip>are those like 15-16 year old fags who want to be punk but don't know any rea<snip>
Be advised that using the term "gay" or "fag" or the like in a derogatory manner is absolutely not tolerated.
alright sorry, wont happen again.
Old 03 Oct 2007, 22:48   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Crazed, I'm making a statue of you and worshipping it everyday for a week now.

That was oh so fething hilarious, and yet, while being massively amusing, you make a very good point.

I got tired of seeing guys wearing their sisters tight jeans at the forum about 5 minutes after they started, and guy on guy action, as far as I know, does not attract the girls.

I don't mind Fall Out Boy, if you don't take them seriously, it can be ok (although the Bono video was not needed :)

MCR, well, I've been smited for negative comments towards them, I shall suffice to say I dislike them.

Quote:
They're wrong when they say that "no one understands me!!11!", but they're actually correct in thinking that absolutely no one likes them...
Indeed.... we understand, we just despise

It does have some benifits, as a subculture. I must say, its nice now when I mention I listen to Nightwish, Lacuna, Man'o'war, Dragonforce etc people don't ask "So you worship Satan and dance in cemetaries then?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2007, 22:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: Somewhere cliché, like... behind you, or in your room maybe. I don't know.

Mall Emo? Is that like Scene kids?

Well I personally think that Fall Out Boy, Panic! at the Disco, My Chemical Romance, and other such bands do have some good songs. I don't complain about how life is pain or cut myself, or even dress in all black. I like Metal music too, though. I really don't see the big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kin7777
Everything about them sucks- while they have all of this negative attention, they aren't even using it. The punks used the attention the grabbed to throw up controversial political views.
I'd like to point out that Panic! has done so.
Quote:
Prescribed pills
To offset the shakes
To offset the pills
You know you should take...
It a day at a time.
- "Nails for Breakfast and Tacks for Snacks"

This is clearly a criticism of our society prescribing meds so quickly without a second thought. Now, since I do listen to many other genres, I really haven't heard that many emo songs. Out of the 493 songs on my iPod, 21 are Emo. I don't even understand half of what the emos are talking about in their songs. If I found that and don't even listen to that many emo songs (in comparison to the emos themselves), I'm sure there's plenty more political stuff where that came from.

If you read this sentince, it will tell you nothing.
compubrains is offline   Reply With Quote