Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Part 1)
Old 28 Sep 2007, 23:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Part 1)

Iced Earth has been a band apparent to me for some time, I have heard the name tossed around various metal circles but I've never come into contact with their music... until now that is. Framing Armageddon was bought on a whim when I realised it was within my budget and it had awesome cover art. Not, perhaps the most effective way of purchasing good albums but it's never stopped me in the past and so far I have yet to be wrong.

The first thing I noticed about Framing Armageddon was it's concept album status. With 19 songs it was bound to have some filler I though, but then when we reffer to filler in albums we normally think of pointless tracks that offer no wieght. There is absolutely no filler on this album.

Instead there is a selection of incredible heavy metal anthems, most boasting roaring sing along choruses from one of the best vocalists in the genre. I speak of course of Tim 'Ripper' Owens (You know, the bloke who was in Judas Priest for a while) whose high pitched, multilayered screams eject huge emotion into all the songs he features in. The album also features lavishly arranged instrumentals boasting clear eastern influence as evidenced by The Awakening and Something Wicked Part 2. There are also some softer songs like Reflections and one anthem which opens like a Pink Floyd song. (seriously I'm not kidding)

The albums storyline and thus by definition all of the lyrics are a clever weaving of ancient mysticism and classic sci-fi. Schaeffer's lyrics are catchy, clever and in a canny move present the story in a veiled and ambiguous way letting the listener work their own subtle nuances and ideas into the story whilst still retaining the basic premise.

Although it's hard to pick stand out tracks on album as good as this I'll certainly give it a shot.

The Domino Decree: The second longest track on the album and arguably the heaviest, this song starts with a slow, intricate riff and Owen's screams give you the fright of yourlife as they enter unexpectedly a few seconds in. The chorus is a wonderful mix of extended howls and powerful guitar work. Awesome stuff

Something Wicked Part 1: The first heavy metal song on the album opens with a fast paced riff and doesn't let down throughout the entire song. With vocals sounding like mid-era Bruce Dickonson and a singalong chorus rivalling anything HammerFall have ever done this song is incredible.

Reflections: One of the slower, more laid back songs on the album reflections stands out due to its incredible guitar work and beautiful vocals which make it a deffinate stand out track. It is also worthy because it provides the perfect opener to the next song.

Ten Thousand Strong: With a tital rivalling any Manowar anthem this song had a lot to live up to in my eyes. Good God did it deliver. One of the most energetic and exciting songs I have ever heard Ten Thousand Strong, with its incredible chorus, rapid guitar work and powerful drumming stands tall as one of the greatest heavy metal songs I have ever heard.

When Stars Collide (Born Is He): Although slower than most of the other songs When Stars Collide is no less heavy for it. With massively powerful, grinding guitars and a solemn, but still tremendously strong, multilayered vocal performance this song is a testament to the sheer power of a band like Iced Earth.

Basically what I'm trying to say is... I can't wait until Something Wicked Part 2 *
That's what the new Space Marine codex relates to. Grilled puppies.

Thanks to JD for the awesome siggy
Tim the Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2007, 23:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to GueVesaUnit
Default Re: Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Part 1)

Y'know, Tim, just for that, I'm going to check it out right now. Hope you were right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineluki
If we were all normal, we wouldn't be talking on this forum every single bloody day, instead of breathing in some fresh air once in a while. Anyone remember what the sun looks like? I think it was a sphere...
[quote=Ineluki]
Weirdo? Please, you're as normal as I am. ...wait, what?
GueVesaUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Oct 2007, 23:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Part 1)

So tell me, was I right or was my review completely wrong?
That's what the new Space Marine codex relates to. Grilled puppies.

Thanks to JD for the awesome siggy
Tim the Tau is offline   Reply With Quote