Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Bands that have crapped out
Old 14 Aug 2007, 00:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Bands that have crapped out

I am noticing that many bands that used to rock kinda suck nowadays.

Take Green Day for example. They used to be my favorite band. songs like Deadbeat Holiday, When I come Around, and (best bass line ever) Longview were great! the songs on American Idiot, however, were terrible! I hate to say it, but they were better when they sang about Drugs, Sex, and Booze!

The same goes for Blink-182. back when they sang about Teenage kids running around doing crazy things and sucking at dating, they were amazing! old style Blink is still some of my favorite music. Now, however, they are all emo and suck.

If you know of any more bands that were once good but are currently in the crapper, Please share! any Comments/Rants are welcome!

I have a very hard time picturing Aun'va rocking out to "Our God Is An Awesome God".
-Raptor Jesus

Ninja Fish Robots, Flesh-Eating Space Chickens, AND Supersonic Cockroaches??? W00t!!! (^ ^)
-Damian

I like me

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature spread the word!

if you think you've had too much to drink, you're obviously to coherent to have had too much to drink When I was your age, Pluto was a planet!
rattythepuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2007, 00:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Bands that have crapped out

Metallica? Master of Puppets, Kill 'em All,; they had good music in spades.
Then St. Anger came out and we all laughed at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2007, 04:50   #3 (permalink)
lonely tau

Guns N' Roses

1996, worst year for them EVER.
Old 15 Aug 2007, 04:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to NileChild

Well maybe you grew out of both Greenday and Blink-182 and just can't it as appealing as back then. Blink-182(as far as I've heard, I don't listen to them much) have been doing songs about the same stuff for years now, but unfortunately you can only write so many songs about teenage kids running around doing crazy things and sucking at dating. Greenday decided they wanted to be taken more seriously and tried their and at a concept album, American Idiot is decent, but yes it can't compare with Dookie, Nimrod and Warning. The two bands also will have a constantly shifting audience. They have to tailor their music to the largest fan-base that likes them to get the most record and ticket sales.

I also don't think you can expect amazing output after amazing output on album after album from the songwriter(s). I know that as a songwriter myself I have ups and downs in my writing and will one moment write what I think to be brilliant and then the next have a blank page or what I see as a piece of grade F crap. Writing great songs is very tough and unfortunately the bar of what a great song is, is slowly being lowered year after year. It's sad really because you can't expect what you did out of a band 10 years ago. When the Smashing Pumpkins new album came out, I wasn't expecting a Mellon Collie or Siamese Dream, what I got was good, but all bands will go through a plateau and then slowly whittle down to just plain rotten or Hit their climax and then just plummet into crap. I guess what I'm getting at is that it's hard to maintain popularity with the public with the music fans found great 5-10 even 1 year ago.

And my final note is that the disappearance of a key piece to a band can throw them to the dogs. Take Pink Floyd- Dark Side, Wish you were here, Animals , and the Wall. The final cut comes out, people think Roger is losing his touch, Roger leaves the group. Floyd then puts out A momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell. Now I like the last two albums they put out, but without Roger, it's just not the same and makes it seem like Pink Floyd just started sucking after The Wall to most people.

And while none of this can be proven since this is all subjective and based on opinions, thats what I think of the matter at hand.

NileChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2007, 18:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to AvalonSurfer739

I wouldn't judge if a band has crapped out because of your personal opinion, i would look more into the popularity of the band and the band's performance in general. Yes in my opinion i think Greenday has crapped out compared to what they used to play. But in reality they haven't. And the reason we think that is because we liked the old green day. I remember when I used to listen to them and my favorite song by them was Basket Case. Then they came out with American Idiot. After that all of greenday's old fans hated them. But along with that album came million's of new fans for them. Not to mention the fact that is was their most succesful album ever released climbing all the way up to #1 on the billboard charts. They went from being popular to being famous.

Now Blink 182 I will agree 100% on because they were on of my favorite bands growing up and had alot of good songs. I havent heard any new stuff that I liked or any hit single of any sort from them in more than 7 years

-Made by the awsome Photoshoper TchicoriTa
AvalonSurfer739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2007, 03:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to kin7777 Send a message via MSN to kin7777

Quote:
Originally Posted by NileChild
Well maybe you grew out of both Greenday and Blink-182 and just can't it as appealing as back then. Blink-182(as far as I've heard, I don't listen to them much) have been doing songs about the same stuff for years now, but unfortunately you can only write so many songs about teenage kids running around doing crazy things and sucking at dating. Greenday decided they wanted to be taken more seriously and tried their and at a concept album, American Idiot is decent, but yes it can't compare with Dookie, Nimrod and Warning. The two bands also will have a constantly shifting audience. They have to tailor their music to the largest fan-base that likes them to get the most record and ticket sales.

I also don't think you can expect amazing output after amazing output on album after album from the songwriter(s). I know that as a songwriter myself I have ups and downs in my writing and will one moment write what I think to be brilliant and then the next have a blank page or what I see as a piece of grade F Klkn. Writing great songs is very tough and unfortunately the bar of what a great song is, is slowly being lowered year after year. It's sad really because you can't expect what you did out of a band 10 years ago. When the Smashing Pumpkins new album came out, I wasn't expecting a Mellon Collie or Siamese Dream, what I got was good, but all bands will go through a plateau and then slowly whittle down to just plain rotten or Hit their climax and then just plummet into Klkn. I guess what I'm getting at is that it's hard to maintain popularity with the public with the music fans found great 5-10 even 1 year ago.

And my final note is that the disappearance of a key piece to a band can throw them to the dogs. Take Pink Floyd- Dark Side, Wish you were here, Animals , and the Wall. The final cut comes out, people think Roger is losing his touch, Roger leaves the group. Floyd then puts out A momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell. Now I like the last two albums they put out, but without Roger, it's just not the same and makes it seem like Pink Floyd just started sucking after The Wall to most people.

And while none of this can be proven since this is all subjective and based on opinions, thats what I think of the matter at hand.
Green Day didn't just decide out of the blue to try and fake a political album. They did it because it's what their managers and producers told them would sell.

And if a band can't keep up with their quality of albums, they should stop. Why fix what's not broken? Leave yourself in good standing. You've probably sucked enough money out of the brainwashed kids to keep yourself happy for a while. :

PUNK'S NOT DEAD
Think, it's not illegal yet.
kin7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2007, 04:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: Somewhere cliché, like... behind you, or in your room maybe. I don't know.

While you do bring up a good point, I'm afraid I must disagree. I mean, ideals and "keepin' it real" sound great on paper, but they're just doing there job. Sure, they could get off fine with their ideals, they'd still be really freak'n rich, and after all how much money do you need? But it is a job, and in a job you try to earn the most you can and work your way up the scale. Green Day had to pretend to care to climb the buisness ladder.

If you read this sentince, it will tell you nothing.
compubrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2007, 05:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

The day I refer to making music as a job is the day I melt my trumpet down into a gun, and shoot myself.

Do you have any musical background, CompuBrains?
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2007, 05:34   #9 (permalink)
lonely tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by kin7777
Quote:
Originally Posted by NileChild

I also don't think you can expect amazing output after amazing output on album after album from the songwriter(s). I know that as a songwriter myself I have ups and downs in my writing and will one moment write what I think to be brilliant and then the next have a blank page or what I see as a piece of grade F Klkn. Writing great songs is very tough and unfortunately the bar of what a great song is, is slowly being lowered year after year. It's sad really because you can't expect what you did out of a band 10 years ago. When the Smashing Pumpkins new album came out, I wasn't expecting a Mellon Collie or Siamese Dream, what I got was good, but all bands will go through a plateau and then slowly whittle down to just plain rotten or Hit their climax and then just plummet into Klkn. I guess what I'm getting at is that it's hard to maintain popularity with the public with the music fans found great 5-10 even 1 year ago.

Green Day didn't just decide out of the blue to try and fake a political album. They did it because it's what their managers and producers told them would sell.

And if a band can't keep up with their quality of albums, they should stop. Why fix what's not broken? Leave yourself in good standing. You've probably sucked enough money out of the brainwashed kids to keep yourself happy for a while. :
Note the crossed out word. I'm 15 years old, and Yes is still making quite a bit of money off of me. My mum keeps buying all this new "rock" stuff and my Dad and I listen to quite a bit of country musicians. On the whole, music is just starting to decline, in my opinion. Hell, compare the Charlie Daniels Band with any of the new country stuff, and you'll find Charlie to be more rewarding.
Old 16 Aug 2007, 18:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to kin7777 Send a message via MSN to kin7777

I'm 15 too Lonley Tau. It was in reference, of course, to all of the white suburban kids who say "awesome" way too much. Also in reference to the "tweens," who are the most horrifying monster ever to be birthed from the corporate wet dreams of MTV and the fashion industry in an attempt to crack into consumerism all those few years earlier.

Although I do disagree with the decline of music comment a bit. In general, this is true, but take bands like Leftöver Crack. "**** World Trade," their newest album, is great. Many bands do decline in general, mainly due to the fact that most of what they make and produce they are told to do by their record labels and the like. There are, however, the few that continue to create outstanding music, or even improve upon their style and songs.

PUNK'S NOT DEAD
Think, it's not illegal yet.
kin7777 is offline   Reply With Quote