Gretsch Blackhawk?? 5 71.43%
Premier Olympic?? 1 14.29%
Other, if so could you post your contribution 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03 Jun 2007, 17:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Aunva Drklite
Default Drum Kit

Hey guys for those of you who saw my topic 'persuasion techniques' you will know i am picking up drumming. I have now persuaded my parents thanks to all who helped me and i am looking at kits.

My price range is anything up to 450 or roughly $890 us.

So far i have either a Gretsch Black hawk in mind (310)

or the premier olympic (250)

if you fellow drummers could vote id appreciate your assistance. On the other hand if you have picked other could you state what kit it is, its price and maybe a picture with information?

With my price range i am wanting a basic 5 piece kit with full cymbals, and it will be rock, so that it 22" bass, 12"13" toms, 16" floor, 14" snare.

My kit at the moment
Aunva Drklite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2007, 22:14   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Drum Kit

Yo! funky Man! Well done joining the drummers!!!

many people call us stupid but you get used to it.

I have an electric kit. many people think they are awful and I agreed till about 18 months ago. i went to get a kit and my parents begged me to go electric. (so I could turn it down) and I tried one to keep them happy. It was love at first beat. I have a Roland TD3 and it is great!

good points.

can turn it up and down (parents love this one, whether you use it or not!)
it is quite compact
range of noises
can turn it down to CD player range to play along.
packs really small for travelling.

bad points

cost a bit extra
dynamics are a bit harder
doesn't look as good.

hope this helps!

if you are dead set on an acoustic kit, get a Yamaha, they are dead reliable.
Old 08 Jun 2007, 22:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

Go with the premier olympic. You can get a second pedal and a few more symbols...
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
T pok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2007, 08:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I drum on a Yamaha Custom kit with Paiste cymbols. Try and check out one of those and see how you like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The All-father
A horror! HOOORRRROOOOORRRR!
Hive Tyrant Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2007, 19:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Aunva Drklite

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'shuva
Yo! funky Man! Well done joining the drummers!!!

many people call us stupid but you get used to it.

I have an electric kit. many people think they are awful and I agreed till about 18 months ago. i went to get a kit and my parents begged me to go electric. (so I could turn it down) and I tried one to keep them happy. It was love at first beat. I have a Roland TD3 and it is great!

good points.

can turn it up and down (parents love this one, whether you use it or not!)
it is quite compact
range of noises
can turn it down to CD player range to play along.
packs really small for travelling.

bad points

cost a bit extra
dynamics are a bit harder
doesn't look as good.

hope this helps!

if you are dead set on an acoustic kit, get a Yamaha, they are dead reliable.
Can i ask, what kind of drumming do you play? I just think that if you tried hard fast metal drumming you wold damage them easily and fast.

My kit at the moment
Aunva Drklite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2007, 05:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

If this is your first kit, I would say stay away from electric. I have played a number of different sets of both approaches and I can tell you from experience it is simply not the same feel. Unless you have pissy neighbors or parents or something you are better off going with straight accoustic. In the long run it will teach you better. Elec kits just don't respond to your touch like authentic accoustics do. Of course its really a matter of application too... if you want to rock out with your friends in a garage then accoustic is obviously easier. If you are making studio projects then an elec is much easier since you dont have to worry about mics and room ambience and so on - but you can hear the difference.

Also - it depends on yer style... "nu-metal" and thrash and so on are just fine on electrics (actually a lot of metal albums use roland V-drums - and they go with the notion that all the heavy mixing and effecting in the mix is going to give it a drum-machiney sound anyways so why not?)

On the other hand, stuff that is a little more touchy and not necessarily hard hit all the time usually sounds a lot more convincing on old worn-in accoustic kits with old worn-in heads. I can't get brand specific, and I'm only a drummer by necessity, I've backed a couple of bands but I am by no means a conoisseur. (gtar/voice is my thing). Honestly, bottom line - I would go with whatever fits in the budget and leaves you a couple hundred bucks left over for extra cymbals or a picc snare to accompany your bang snare.

Brands don't really sound that different unless you are comparing seriously high end with seriously low end. It's the drummers that sound different. Make sure you get a comfy kick-pedal for your style of footwork and a snare you can abuse the hell out of.

Good luck
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2007, 15:03   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion
If this is your first kit, I would say stay away from electric. I have played a number of different sets of both approaches and I can tell you from experience it is simply not the same feel. Unless you have pissy neighbors or parents or something you are better off going with straight acoustic. In the long run it will teach you better. Elec kits just don't respond to your touch like authentic accoustics do. Of course its really a matter of application too... if you want to rock out with your friends in a garage then accoustic is obviously easier. If you are making studio projects then an elec is much easier since you dont have to worry about mics and room ambience and so on - but you can hear the difference.
this is an excellent point. I got an electric on the grounds that they have several free to use acoustics at school, so I would still have the chance to use a range of kits.

In answer to your earlier question, about what and how I play, I play nearly every type of drums, jazz, metal, samba, orchestral (don't laugh), rock, pop, dance, to name a few. they all work well on electric. you don't have to worry about hitting them too hard, they take an immense beating. (no pun intended).

hope it goes good.