Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Validate Your Opinion; Research What You Say
Closed Thread
Old 10 Jun 2006, 11:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Validate Your Opinion; Research What You Say

As you all know, it is standard forum policy/rules to make sure that you back up what you say. However, I would like to emphasise that in Music, this is especially important!!! You must support any opinions and statements with why you believe whatever you are saying is so. Just so this is clear:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinion, not backed up
[band name] are a pack of talentless bums.
This is not acceptable. In fact, I will smite for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Validated Opinion
[band name] are not a good band. Their lyrics are unimaginative, their chords are repetitive, they rarely vary in terms of rhythm and tempo. They lack creativity and have become sell outs.
This is much better. The statement is backed up.

I would also like to say that music is a subjective topic - a lot of it relies upon the listeners own perceptions. People will differ from your own opinion. Do not take offence if someone does not like your favourite band. Get over it, I'll bet you don't like some of their favourite bands/songs etc. However, as I have stated above, if someone comes out with "Dude, [band name] suck. Why do you like such a sucky band?", they are not putting forth their opinion in an acceptable manner; are indeed flaming and will be smote.

It's...OK to say "I hate [band name]. Really can't stand them.", but again, I would prefer it if you backed that up. Indeed, if you are at all interested in the topic progressing and in making a positive contribution, it is pretty much a necessity.

To contribute to this feel of the forum, I'd like to recommend to you all Wikipedia.org. This website will be able to help you with many many things. It was the main source from which I drew my information for what we have thus far of the Styles and Genres topic, so if you want a bit more of an elaboration on exactly what the site can help you with, check out that topic for examples.

..."because music is in everything, it's the richness of the music that enrichens our lives." - Jay-Z

7 Reasons the 21st Century is Making You Miserable

"As soon as there is life there is danger." Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1860
"God created Man in his own image, and Man, being a gentleman, returned the compliment." - Mark Twain

Old 22 Jun 2006, 10:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Validate Your Opinion; Research What You Say

Perhaps I wan't being clear enough. Let me just get this straight:

[size=14pt][b]There will be no mindless, unbacked up, bashing of genres or bands!!! Consider this your final warning!!![/size]

Say, for instance, this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by let's just keep this anonymous....
linkin park(I hate them so much! >!)
Oh, and hey! Guess what? They're my favourite band! That's right, and at present - I'm writing an article on them! *slap* What did I just say? Don't do it!!!

Clear? OK then. The next example I see of this will be a smite. I thought to give you lot a bit of leniency; as we just set up this board. Also, I thought there would be exceptions. I am not a mean and nasty dude and quite frankly I hate smiting people.

But you are abusing my generosity and that I will not tolerate. >

..."because music is in everything, it's the richness of the music that enrichens our lives." - Jay-Z

7 Reasons the 21st Century is Making You Miserable

"As soon as there is life there is danger." Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1860
"God created Man in his own image, and Man, being a gentleman, returned the compliment." - Mark Twain

Closed Thread