Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Codex: Build your own Xeno race.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 17:18   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Codex: Build your own Xeno race.

I have this idea, based upon an old article on the GW webstite (and I believe WD) that had rules for developing your own alien creatures for random encounters/special missions that you could run in 40K, and I thought that it would work really well for all the creative types to build their own races. That is, there we a few blank "templates" of basic light, medium, and heavy infantry, light, med, hvy vehicles, tanks walkers, etc. The ability to make HQs with generic upgrades which can be named by the creator. All of these options should have tons of upgrades and abilities you can buy for them, and they should be vague like "+5 save" and the creator can then say, "well its armor" or "They have hard shells" etc. What do you guys think of an idea like this? And should this be in another category?

Thanks for the input, and obviously, if anyone wants to put out some ideas that would be great, this codex would work better if it was a group effort. Thanks!
Amishmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2009, 17:27   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Codex: Build your own Xeno race.

It's a great idea, though it would be hard to keep it balanced yet not too restricted. It would be a LOT of work too. I'd be willing to lend a hand though.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 19:02   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Well, I did Codex: Lizardmen :P
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2009, 19:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Circus has had enough rules-writing for a month or seven, but I'd be happy to write up some "sample" Xenos races that you/the reader could use as inspiration. And maybe throw in a couple of units, too.

It should be fairly simple, actually, Rezzy. Look back at the Nid books since 3rd Ed, it's just that but... more so.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2009, 20:35   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Yeah but to allow people to create races with different flavours you need a very wide range of possible weapons, units and vehicles. And they all need to be balanced no matter what combination is used.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 20:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Totally doable. I think. You'd do it almost like Guard doctrines, I reckon. Have a wide selection of unit types, then let the player pick X amount from those unit types.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2009, 16:53   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

The guard codex example is a good one. We could have the choice of several broad "archetypes" like one that allows many monstrous creatures, but few vehicles or one that gives the option for really heavy tanks at the expense of good heavy infantry options etc. In that way, we could have people get a basic structure for their race right off the bat.

On another note, i figure we could have a simple weapon editor to make the weapons customizable as well, for instance:
Rifle(Template) S:3 AP:6 Assault 1
+5 Pts. Increase strength +1
+5 pts Increase AP+1
+5 pts change to Assault 2 OR Heavy 3

Just an example with random points values but thats the general idea.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 23:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I could help with this if you need some help :P

Another potential idea is to have unit type points or something along the lines. For example you start off with say....50 points. For every unit you want to be an MC you have to pay say like 8 points, like 1 point for a basic troop and so on and so forth until you fill up your unit points.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 11:00   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

You would also need to work out how the FOC would work. For example, once a unit has been upgraded beyond xx points it becomes 0-1, or something.

And do you have a 'fast-attack' choice with various upgrades, or do you have a generic unit that can be upgraded to be either fast attack, heavy support etc.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 15:37   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone! If you have any ideas for codex entries post them to this thread and credit will be given in the PDF when this project is finished. So i think that Restayvien has an interesting idea, maybe all vehicles with average AV 11 or less (not walkers) will be considered fast attack, and they get one free fast upgrade (fast movement, etc) It would also unlock turbo boosting as an option. Keep 'em coming!