Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vespid Army Codex
Old 07 Jul 2009, 18:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to runer60000
Default Vespid Army Codex

Ive been lookin around the website, and it seems to me that no one knows of this codex. the codex is here:
http://www.tristanworld.com/0_second...odexVespid.PDF

Post what you think of it, I'm not interested in starting it myself but I thought some of you would be interested. I think its pretty solid though.

I should also say I had nothing to do with the making of this.

edit
Nice, although it was already in the sticky thread about minor race codice.
Boneguard
Against Tyranids: L2, T1, W0
Against Necrons: L1, T1, W2
Orks: L0, T1, W0
Current Eldar Standings:
Against Blood Angels: L0, T0, W0
Against Orks: L0, T0, W0
Against Tyranids: L0, T0, W2
Against Ultramarines: L0, T0, W3
runer60000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2009, 09:10   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Digby
Default Re: Vespid Army Codex

Wow, this is awesome.
I'm collecting these fan made Codex's, so this is great. =]

Thanks,
Digby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2009, 22:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

No problem, I'm glad to share any info I find!

Edit for grammar.
Boneguard

Current Eldar Standings:
Old 13 Jul 2009, 05:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

From a quick skimming of the text, this list looks Soooooooo broken. The Queens stats are waaaayyyy too high for the points cost, and normal vespid in this codex are 11 points each with the same stats and equipment as the tau one except the gun has AP D6 instead of 3, but in the tau codex, the vespid are 16 points each! > This codex definitely needs revision. That's my opinion anyway...

If you need any Black templar advice, just PM me. I've got over 4 years of BT experience!
comicfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2009, 17:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

A lot of Tau players believe the Vespid in the Tau codex are overpriced.

You know, I read through this and the first thing that popped into my mind was "Mine more minerals"
Orks 15 3 2 (Mekboy and weirdboy based force with boyz, deffkoptas and walkers)
Chaos12 2 4 (Infantry based chaos)
juraigamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2009, 19:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicfreak
From a quick skimming of the text, this list looks Soooooooo broken. The Queens stats are waaaayyyy too high for the points cost, and normal vespid in this codex are 11 points each with the same stats and equipment as the tau one except the gun has AP D6 instead of 3, but in the tau codex, the vespid are 16 points each! > This codex definitely needs revision. That's my opinion anyway...
I haven't evaluated the whole codex, but the tau vespids are overpriced crap. 16pts each is far, far too high, and a codex based around that would simply not be viable. 11pts sounds about right.

Also, AP d6 is generally less useful than AP3. 3+ or higher armor is incredibly common. AP D6 is going to fail to pen that half the time, so their killing power against the most frequent targets has been reduced significantly. The chance of penning termie armor helps compensate, but does not fully do so, because 2+ armor is much rarer, and is almost always paired with an invulnerable save anyhow.

I'll have to check out the full codex later, though.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2009, 23:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman

First thing that struck me was the outline. (Always have to look at the outline first. Don't know why). You repeated the list of weapons in the entries; Codexes only mention the weapon, and unless it's special or particular to that unit, are the stats posted. Your rules are also very wordy. You used the old style (3rd Edition) Codex words when describing that each and every single unit can Deep Strike or has Jump Infantry, etc. You also have unnecessary lines dividing your stats. The page background is completely plain, without even a boarder.

What you need to do is find a simple background that pertains to the nature of the Vespid, and stick it in the background, fade it if necessary. You could also browse Deviant Art and ask if any artists might be willing to help you with it.

Your font titles for each unit is also extremely large and very overpowering. It feels like you're filling blank area.

Also, you could simply combine all the standard Vespid rules. Make a special rule titled "Vespid", and point back to reference page. Then, in that page, state the special rules that all Vespid have, like the other Codexes, rather than reposting them each time. Such rules include Jump Infantry. Also, all Jump Infantry models automatically have the Deep Strike rules, and the phrase, "May Deep Strike when the mission allows" is now nullified because Deep Strike is always allowed in 5th Edition.

The new Codex style (Eldar, Space Marines, Orks) looks like it was somewhat used as a reference, but the Eldar are particular in that each and every unit uses completely different wargear from the other, so all of their wargear rules have to be posted for every unit entry. Space Marines need some of it here and there for their specialties, but the Orks have lots of common wargear, and don't.

I don't understand the Ancient Ones at all. You gave them an armor value? Anything that lives always has wounds to represent losing limbs, certain body parts for their sheer size, and yet not dying. You can't have them work in the same way as a vehicle. The wording for "Winged But Slow" could be re-worded (and I think a different name is in order).

You have vehicles with rear armor 11 and 9; why?

You also never made a reference sheet.

I don't understand why you made the Table of Contents the way you did, grouped on the left side and carried on over to the next column. You should be able to make more than two columns.

Your "Vespid Weaponry" page is a direct copy of the Eldar army list for their list of weaponry. I honestly don't care for the names you gave them. "Nature's Sword", "The Launcher of Death", etc... what?

A lot of the weapons you have will add a lot of different choices, rules to remember, and dice rolling, lots of it. Weapons with randomly generated AP and Strength value are exceptionally rare, and for good reason. I feel like I'm reading a fast, tougher, Ork-type army.

Your fluff is a single page long, most of it describing the bare basics of the Vespid we know from the Tau Codex, the coming of the Tau, and the other half is the warrior culture history. Just seems bland.

I give credit to the basic outline and I like the organization of information, though.

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Colonel Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2010, 06:01   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

First thing i noticed was how tiny of an army it is...wayyy too little choices available there.
Peloquini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2010, 22:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

@ Colonel Marksman:
I just want to remind you that the codex is not mine in any way, I just found it on google. :P
Current Eldar Standings:
Old 22 Feb 2010, 21:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
I made the list ages ago when I was just a tiny little 40K fanboy (and in 4th ed).

I think I went over a few of the points values again later but I'm not sure I uploaded them.

They were balanced (mathhammer-wise) against 4th ed marines.

Quote:
I was working the mathammer on AP4 so the pessimistic side of average. of course that pushed the cost down a fair bit from the 3 it could be.

I'm going to plead codex creep. ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Marksman

Your fluff is a single page long, most of it describing the bare basics of the Vespid we know from the Tau Codex, the coming of the Tau, and the other half is the warrior culture history. Just seems bland.
As I say, I wrote it when I was a wee grot (that applies to everything else as well). And I knew nothing about vespid so it was doomed from the start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloquini
First thing i noticed was how tiny of an army it is...wayyy too little choices available there.
I agree, see above for the reason.

[hr]

All in all, I'm embarrassed by this codex now but now I've got to try and forget it again. Oh well.

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Omeganus is offline   Reply With Quote