Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Lizardmen - 40k
Closed Thread
Old 21 Apr 2009, 16:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Lizardmen - 40k

Firstly, I saw and perused the link to the Slann army in the sticky. Is that based upon an old official army faction, or just a very old version of the WH Fantasy Lizardmen? At any rate, it's not even close to what I had in mind.

I have spent a long time playing LM in fantasy and think that there could be a lot of merit in a NON horde CC army. The lizardmen are definitely not the horde type, so simply using their models under Orc or Tyrannid rules would miss the point completely. Is it feasible in 40k to run this kind of list, without feeling like they are overpowered?
I'm thinking of a relatively few amount of troops (comparable to SM), decent armor saves involving some sort of scaly carapace, very little if any effective shooting, little or no vehicle support and some interesting monstrous creatures. CC statlines for core troops would be comparable to that of MEQ, although without such a nice save. To make up for poor or no shooting and increase CC threat there may be an option for some type of power weapon effect that could be taken by most things.

I'm pretty new to 40k in general still, so stop me if I drive the crazy bus off a cliff
More thoughts on this to come... All constructive comments greatly appreciated!

For the rules properly speaking see here.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 16:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Lizardmen - 40k

I'd like to see the remnants of the slaan in 40k in some form or another. For instance, what ever happened to Zoats (if thats right, been a while... the centaur type creatures). Didnt they have a link to the Slaan empire long before we ever heard about Tyranids?
Certainly what I can remember from Rogue Trader anyway... though I cant find my copy atm so cant check it out for sure.

Commission?! PM me to discuss a price. Based in the UK.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/glam_andy/Anubis.jpg[/img]

Fat bottomed girls make the rockin' world go round!
Old 21 Apr 2009, 16:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeghrefn
Firstly, I saw and perused the link to the Slann army in the sticky. Is that based upon an old official army faction, or just a very old version of the WH Fantasy Lizardmen? At any rate, it's not even close to what I had in mind.
If I recall correctly Slann used to be part of 40K background way back then. It has been modify...the same way that 40K is not the same universe as Fantasy anymore. So no it's neither and old official faction or a lizardman in space idea.

Quote:
I have spent a long time playing LM in fantasy and think that there could be a lot of merit in a NON horde CC army. The lizardmen are definitely not the horde type, so simply using their models under Orc or Tyrannid rules would miss the point completely. Is it feasible in 40k to run this kind of list, without feeling like they are overpowered?
I'm thinking of a relatively few amount of troops (comparable to SM), decent armor saves involving some sort of scaly carapace, very little if any effective shooting, little or no vehicle support and some interesting monstrous creatures. CC statlines for core troops would be comparable to that of MEQ, although without such a nice save. To make up for poor or no shooting and increase CC threat there may be an option for some type of power weapon effect that could be taken by most things.
Maybe this could help. it's based on a lizardman race mentioned in 3rd edition. Might help guiding you.

Quote:
I'm pretty new to 40k in general still, so stop me if I drive the crazy bus off a cliff
More thoughts on this to come... All constructive comments greatly appreciated!
Nah Go ahead drive...could be a fun unit to playi n friendly games.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Old 21 Apr 2009, 17:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Moved to the House Rules board.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 18:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Are those your how stats or did oyu simply retrook those from Fantasy Lizardman?? If it,s from fantasy please remove them they breach the rules.

If they are your own, stats creation should be done in the House rules board...here is more to discuss the story of general discussion of your race.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Old 21 Apr 2009, 18:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Those are off the cuff, but similar to the Fantasy line. Thanks for the heads up

Maybe this entire thread belongs more on the board you linked, as the LM background would work pretty well without modification. I am primarily trying to make them fill the non-horde CC niche in 40k... I will remove the previous post and start something there.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 19:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Off the cuff rule is fine and no problem.

I've added the link to your creation in your original post. This way you can talk about the background and history here, whereas rules matter can be done over there in parallel.

You could eave this here and it would simple direct people to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Old 21 Apr 2009, 22:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks Boneguard!

So to continue I assume that the Slann, being a dying race in the absence of the Old Ones, have all expired by the time our 40k current time line arrives. This also saves us the problem of attempting to adapt a powerful magic user to psyker rules.
Essentially, the lizardmen have continued on and currently exist on what the Imperium would term a death world. Most of the surface is covered by dense jungles and oceans. Without the guidance of their slann the LM have continued on as best they are able, but would probably be completely lost as far as their society's direction is concerned. The technology would have progressed very little, leaving them without space travel or advanced ranged weaponry of any sort... until another race finds this world. >
Old 22 Apr 2009, 18:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I am willing to help create rules for them, I love writing rules and have done many different armies fantasy and 40k I think I can help you with this if you want.

Old 20 Aug 2009, 07:01   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

khorne beserkers with a little modifying could work as they are good in combat and have a 3+ save
Closed Thread