Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Some questions on Kroot Mercs
Old 26 Feb 2009, 11:31   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Some questions on Kroot Mercs

Hi all

This is my first post on Tau Online. I'm thinking of putting together 500pts of Kroot to keep me busy waiting for the new IG Codex (not much point adding things to my nucleus of an army when the rules could change!). I've always loved the Kroot models and I really love the fluff too (as a BA player there is something familiar about eating dead enemies!). I know the list is woefully out of date but my friends would certainly let me use it, but I've got a few questions...

1) Should I go for +1 T or +1 I upgrade? I know Kroot are rather CC orientated so would benefit from more initiative, but T3 is a major setback when you won't normally be getting saving throws.

2) Should the Master Shaper get an eviserator or is he better off swinging a PW? (Cheaper and benefits from his I4). Also, I'd like to give him wings and attach him to a vulture sqd, is this a good idea?

3) Are hunter kindreds worth it (the guys with sniper rifles)?

4) Are Krootox or cavalry worth it at this points level? Also, what does the T5 in brackets on the Krootox profile mean? (I like the rules for the cavalry but there is NO way I'm spending 40 on the, admittedly gorgeous, FW models)

5) Where can I get good wings for the vultures?

Thanks in advance, I apologise if these are incredibly obvious questions, but I only recently returned to the game from 2nd ed so lots of stuff still utterly vexes me.
TychoLives! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2009, 11:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Some questions on Kroot Mercs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TychoLives!
Hi all

This is my first post on Tau Online. I'm thinking of putting together 500pts of Kroot to keep me busy waiting for the new IG Codex (not much point adding things to my nucleus of an army when the rules could change!). I've always loved the Kroot models and I really love the fluff too (as a BA player there is something familiar about eating dead enemies!). I know the list is woefully out of date but my friends would certainly let me use it, but I've got a few questions...

1) Should I go for +1 T or +1 I upgrade? I know Kroot are rather CC orientated so would benefit from more initiative, but T3 is a major setback when you won't normally be getting saving throws.

2) Should the Master Shaper get an eviserator or is he better off swinging a PW? (Cheaper and benefits from his I4). Also, I'd like to give him wings and attach him to a vulture sqd, is this a good idea?

3) Are hunter kindreds worth it (the guys with sniper rifles)?

4) Are Krootox or cavalry worth it at this points level? Also, what does the T5 in brackets on the Krootox profile mean? (I like the rules for the cavalry but there is NO way I'm spending 40 on the, admittedly gorgeous, FW models)

5) Where can I get good wings for the vultures?

Thanks in advance, I apologise if these are incredibly obvious questions, but I only recently returned to the game from 2nd ed so lots of stuff still utterly vexes me.
1. I found the Intitaive bonus the best, then you strike simo with marines in combat and thus you will get attacks regardless of how many they may kill. Though, some people do sweat by the Ork-hybrid.

2. Power Weapon, you don't want to waste his IN. which is the highest in the force. Getting him to the enemy quickly is always a good idea, vulture borne, or with fleet. Either is good.

3.I found so, they could pin units or just give some fire support. also, they are dirt cheap. I had good experiences with them. Since snipers are now rending (IIRC) then they can be potentially more brutal.

4.no, just focus on Shaper and kroot squads with evisorator champ. I played a few 500pt games with Kroot Mercs and nothing else really made too much of a a difference. The fact the entire force could infiltrate meant I got quick-fast. You just need the numbers to account for loss from shooting. Blood of the stalker (I think thats what it's called) is very, very handy.

5. The GW online store has wing packs. I recommend looking for Harpy wings. Not as expensive as one may expect. either that or convert some with greenstuff and wire (which would be more work, but cheapest)
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2009, 12:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

eviserators are about all the antitank you have but now that you hit rear armor in melee it really only matters for landraiders and the small chance to get a monolith.

The t5 in brackets means you use the other number for instant death rules.

Sniper rifles are good for taking care of light transports and softening monstrous creatures you don't want to charge a rhino just too let out all the assault marines after all.

Not sure if krootox are worth it and most people seem to like the greater knarloc over riders. If you have access too imperial armory 3 it has a few other good kroot units in it.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 12:41   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the helpful replies. I've put together a list based on the suggestions. Best thing is, I only need 2 boxes of Kroot and an extra 6 Kroot from a bitz provider to make the whole army!

HQ
Master Shaper: PW, bolt pistol, fast reflexes

TROOPS
Kroot Carnivores: 14 Kroot, shaper, eviserator, FR

Kroot Carnivores: 13 Kroot, shaper, eviserator, FR

HEAVY SUPPORT
Hunter Kindred: 10 Kroot, shaper, FR

Old 26 Feb 2009, 13:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

add a box of fire warriors a devilfish and a commander and you have a small tau army as well
Old 26 Feb 2009, 15:52   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Nice, I didn't think of that! Thanks!
Old 26 Feb 2009, 17:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by TychoLives!
Thanks for the helpful replies. I've put together a list based on the suggestions. Best thing is, I only need 2 boxes of Kroot and an extra 6 Kroot from a bitz provider to make the whole army!

HQ
Master Shaper: PW, bolt pistol, fast reflexes

TROOPS
Kroot Carnivores: 14 Kroot, shaper, eviserator, FR

Kroot Carnivores: 13 Kroot, shaper, eviserator, FR

HEAVY SUPPORT
Hunter Kindred: 10 Kroot, shaper, FR
Looks like a decent enough start. Somewhat similar to what I did. If you could possibly maybe remove some of the hunters, to fit in blood of the stalker it could help. Infiltrating closer can possibly allow a first turn charge. But if your going to be out-flanking it's not as necessary. A kroot hound unit that infiltrates and has blood of the stalker is dirty. Besides that, I have found giving the Mast shaper a meltagun can help for anti-tank as well, may not be the best use for combat but it can real help in shooting and if anything you get to nuke a marine or infantry before you charge. The fact hes on his own wont hinder your units too much if he decides to nuke a vehicle instead of charging with the boyz.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote