Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

2500 Points of Kroot - 'Ard Boyz Worthy?
Old 03 Oct 2008, 15:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to whitestar333
Default 2500 Points of Kroot - 'Ard Boyz Worthy?

So over the years I've fallen in love with Kroot and collected kroot models randomly because they look awesome and I think they are one of the most interesting races in 40k from a biological perspective.

So I made it into the semi-finals of the 'Ard Boyz tournament and I was toying with the idea of playing a Kroot Merc list because I think with the new 5th ed rules, these guys have potential to be extremely powerful given that two of the missions are annihilation. My starting thought was that since the whole army infiltrates, during the 2nd and 3rd missions Dawn of War deployment is used where you deploy all troops and HQs on the board. Since my whole army infiltrates, I'd hope that my opponent would deploy all the way in the middle in an attempt to push my forces back towards the board edge. Using my infiltrators I could deploy BEHIND them and move my fast vulture kindred to take up my opponents entire board edge - thus preventing his entire army from coming on, and picking everything off one unit at a time.
Even if that strategy doesn't work, I have tons of bodies on the board and I think it's a sizable force and will wreak all sorts of havoc.

HQ: Master Shaper - meltagun, meltabombs, wings, auspex, kroothawk totem, mark of the favoured child, veneration charm, wings

Troops: Kroot Carnivore Kindred (19 + shaper w/ eviscerator, Auspex)

Fast: Vulture Kindred (18 + shaper w/ eviscerator, auspex, Blood of the Stalker) - all with frag grenades
Fast: Vulture Kindred (18 + shaper w/ eviscerator, auspex, Blood of the Stalker) - all with frag grenades

Heavy: Hunter Kindred (9 + shaper w/ auspex)

Oh and they're all Ork hybrid
So I actually own all of these models (I've been collecting for a loooong time) and I think nearly 160 T4 models is nothing to laugh at, no matter what army you are. At this point the only army I could see giving this list a hard time would be Orks. At first I was worried about something like Armored Company, but I sincerely doubt I'll see armored company, and then I have eviscerators buried in every squad so I'm not too concerned. The only other concern is leadership, but with large squads I might still be to regroup relatively easily.

Any thoughts?
whitestar333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Oct 2008, 05:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha
Default Re: 2500 Points of Kroot - 'Ard Boyz Worthy?

All I will say is that you are going to get eaten alive if you try to play a CC game against the enemy. Your high toughness is a boon, but you are only going to be able to get so many attacks in, especially since the enemy will usually attack before you do. I am a fervent fan of Fast Reflexes for most games, as it is cheaper AND does more for the army (both for getting attacks in, and for getting away if the battle goes poorly).

Also, with all units in 5th edition getting run moves, I would throw some Surefoot Charms on your basic carnivore squads. Being able to run with the same dice as a Difficult Terrain test is a big help in getting to the enemy, or putting enough distance between each other to launch an effective counter-attack.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote