Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The old ones army
Old 04 Mar 2008, 02:18   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default The old ones army

Repost************************

Hey peps I'm a newb poster but my little brain was working away yesterday and i came up with this idea which i think is interesting ill let the public be the judge.....

For those of you who don't know who the old ones are, The censational Che Circus Cegorach gave an excellent description of them: The Old Ones were a race of god-beings who were the "good" counterpart to the C'Tan. They created all the 40k races as we know them apart from the Necrons and possibly the Tau depending on who you believe. And the Tyranids.

These guys are obviously a minor race and i would like them to become more popular. According to the fluff they are all dead but somewhere in the storyline there are hints that some are still alive and kicking.

1. What i would like to see is an old ones army. But the question would be, what kind of army would they be like? / all the armies out there already have a particular style of play and new ideas are not easily come by.

2. But i have an idea! Certain armies specialize on CC or firepower or speed or whatever, but have you seen an army specifically geared to just HQs and weapon platforms. Probably not! This could be a whole new type of army for the warhammer 4k universe. As strange as it sounds it could be an army based on buildings, so people big in scenery and that kind of detail could be brought into the gameworkshop market, and could actually bring in more revenue for games workshop.

3. You are probably asking what a stupid idea, buildings cant move? can they? The old ones troops could use warp Fields to transport the buildings over the map or something. (the troops would have to run over to the other side of the board so the buildings could be transported to the infantries location). + certain buildings could be used to make other things, such as weapon platforms, more powerful. Or they could be used to make you one all powerful HQ, the old one, extremely powerful.

Since this idea of static warfare using buildings for the old ones hasn't been adopted yet, i figured it maybe a good idea Yay? Nay? Is there already too many races in warhammer 40k? voice your opinions....O one last thing the basis troop could be the Sloan or whatever they were called i believe that they were the servants of the old ones if i am not correct...

um one last thing for those of you who dont know who the old ones are, they are basically the lizardmen of warhammer 40k, just wanted to make sure that is understood
Old 04 Mar 2008, 19:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Re: The old ones army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldarpro
um one last thing for those of you who dont know who the old ones are, they are basically the lizardmen of warhammer 40k, just wanted to make sure that is understood
They're not. The Old Ones were a race of god-beings who were the "good" counterpart to the C'Tan. They created all the 40k races as we know them apart from the Necrons and possibly the Tau depending on who you believe. And the Tyranids.

The Lizardman connection is purely because the Lizardmen in Fantasy are the only ones who still worship them.

You could do a Slann army, which is basically Lizardmen in 40k, which seems to be what you're aiming at. There's been several lists in the past, and I'm sure there will be in the future. In fact, I'm positive (all those who've been picking up the hints in Paradigm Shift...).
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2008, 20:34   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Right well what i was trying to say is that each race in warhammer 40k have a mirror with an race in warhammer like the eldar being "space elves" for example. So, in many diffrent forums and other material the old ones are refered to as the lizardmen of 40k and thats what i was trying to get across.
Old 04 Mar 2008, 20:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Sorry dude, but they're wrong.

I like your ideas though, it's just how you categorise them =)

And your grammar could be cleaned up a bit, the first post was a little hard to read... but that's just a minor thing.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2008, 23:08   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

amen on that ill fix up this post so it is at least a little legable
Old 05 Mar 2008, 08:20   #6 (permalink)
AC
Shas'Ui

A old ones army would be manoverable, because it says that the old ones beat the Necrons (before the C'tan took over) using speed, thanks to the Webway.

There are three things that matter in marksmanship. Location, Location, Location - Vindicare Assassin Training Dogma.

I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but I know that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Semper Fi
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2008, 03:54   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

lol ok, i guess it wasn't that great of an idea. Well this was just my take on how an old ones army could be created, seeing that there was no other army with a fighting style like this out there. My ideas aren't written in stone and im open to suggestions. Then again this has probably been discussed before.
Old 08 Mar 2008, 08:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I would see lots of invo saves, infiltrate and psychic powers as standard. Old ones really wounld'nt have an arym, but appear and manifest mad pyscic ability.

Rather than a swarm of saurus and skinks, imagine a bunc of Slaan 1st generations. And those are the "grunts".
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2008, 13:08   #9 (permalink)
AC
Shas'Ui

I would see infiltrate, but that they could do it behind enemy lines.

There are three things that matter in marksmanship. Location, Location, Location - Vindicare Assassin Training Dogma.

I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but I know that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Semper Fi
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2008, 02:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

The lizardmen are NOT the old ones. They worship the old ones. The "Slann" are the rulers and mages of the lizardmen, and were a favored species of the old ones. They founded the planet (Warhammer world) and created the lizardmen as the first species. Things went down hill from there...

Why not just update lizardmen rules into 40k? Wouldn't be that hard... Or just play Tyranids ;D