Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1850 Kroot Tourny List
Old 28 Nov 2007, 20:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default 1850 Kroot Tourny List

Quote:
This is a revised and different list then I've used in a while. It should actually be half decent. I'm using stuff that I picked up from playing so much in my groups league, and from the last tournament I was at. I only need to order the Riders soon, so I can get them in time for the event...

[hr]

HQ

Master Shaper Nymune, Meltagun, Veneration Charm, Power Weapon, Surefoot Charm, Kroothawk Totem, Mark, Frag Grenades, Reflexes
Lone Tank Hunter. He might join the hounds for extra Ld, and another power weapon. He's normally a let down... but every once in a while he's the man!
HQ1 148p

Troops

Carnivore Kindred (12)
Shaper, w/ Eviscerator, Reflexes, Blood Of The Stalker
Back up Vehicle/Big dude assaulter. They should come into CC later in the game and can be generally useful against dreads where they'll still get attacks and their small squad size won't kill them.

Carnivore Kindred (14)
Basically same as the small squad but a tiny bit more resiliant. Again tanks and big dudes are priority.

Carnivore Kindred (14)
Shaper, w/ Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol, Melta Bombs, Blood of The Stalker, Frag Grenades, Reflexes
I love this squad! Early hardhitting squad with a ton of Power Weapon attacks. Normally used to tie up anyone and grind themselves and the enemy squad down until help arrives.

Carnivore Kindred (16)
Shaper, w/ Power Weapon, Flamer, Melta Bombs, Blood of The Stalker, Frag Grenades, Reflexes
Same purpose as above, but even more resiliant. They're the 'block' squad, they'l hold down a section and assault if they can. Flamer for hordes or just because BS stinks.

Troop1 176p
Troop2 192p
Troop3 190p
Troop4 213p

Fast Attack

Kroot Hound Pack Kroot (10), Hounds (20) w/ Nymune,
Shaper 21p, w/ Eviscerator, Surefoot Charm, Blood Of
The Stalker, Frag Grenades, Reflexes
Uber combat squad. Looking for first/second turn assault and wipe out whole squads at a time. Huge squad size helps with morale and the inevitable causilties, and 'Super Kroot' (the Shaper) hardly does wrong.

Trackers (6) Shaper, Eviscerator, Reflexes
New addition, Manaditory first turn tank removal. With a scout move, a six inch move, and a 12" assault they'll try and get rid of (Baal) Preds, Land Raiders, Russes, whatever looks scary and can stay far away. In games with little tanks they'll tie up units first turn, or stay back, use their sniper rifles and grab objectives late game.

Fast Attack1 316p
Fast Attack2 160p

Heavy

Goaded Great Knarloc (2) Goads (10)
Shaper, w/ Eviscerator, Surefoot Charm, Reflexes
Dino One and Dino Two together! A late game charge or objective grabber. Hopefully will pack a huge punch when they assault... but I doubt it. If the Goads don't get shot the unit will probably stick around for a while...

Mounted Great Knarloc (1) Explosive Bolts
Late game objective grabber and annoying counter charge guy. Never hits but the gun is still fun!

Hunter Kindred (6) Shaper, Reflexes
And the little snipers. They kill more tanks then Eviscerators, and are an annoying scoring unit. Normally the last unit to die, or they're never touched. They hold the Deployment zone and just shoot anyone that looks dangerous!

Heavy Support1 286p
Heavy Support2 85p
Heavy Support3 75p

Break Down

Model Count: 112 (kinda low!)

HQ 08% Fast Attack 26%
Elite 0% Heavy Support 24%
Troops 42% Total points: 1841p

[hr]

What do you guys think? Should be a blast? It doesn't rely very heavily on first turn charges, but its definitely an 'in yo face' list. There's just a ton of Kroot that want to charge you!
Old 04 Dec 2007, 02:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987
Default Re: 1850 Kroot Tourny List

I would personally take a shaper council, as oppose to a Carnivore Squad. Possibly the 12 man squad. Yes, it will lower your model count, but it puts some better saves and weapons in the army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2007, 06:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hey TipTop,

I missed your post, and finally saw it now! Yeah I was debating whether to take a Council or not. The problem is 1) A single Carnivore squad will not cover the cost of a Council. Even an extremely minimal one comes out to be 200+ points. 2) I'm a bit of a composition Nazi and would like to have a decent Troops percentage. 40% is ideal, but I'll go a bit lower...

Also, it's my opinion that in 4th edition, more models is key. Especially in a Kroot list. I've been toying with the idea of a Carnivore spam assault army, but I'm pretty sure it'd be boring to play...
Old 05 Dec 2007, 16:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

First let me say that you have more experience than I do at using the Kroot so just take my opinion for what its worth - you are experimenting on some units that I have used so that all I have to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exokan
b]Master Shaper[/b] Nymune, Meltagun, Veneration Charm, Power Weapon, Surefoot Charm, Kroothawk Totem, Mark, Frag Grenades, Reflexes
Lone Tank Hunter. He might join the hounds for extra Ld, and another power weapon. He's normally a let down... but every once in a while he's the man!
HQ1 148p
I played with the exact build except he had 2 hounds. In the 3 games I played I attached him twice to a large houndpack but found that he was a little more useful just hanging around them but not attached. Just moving him around just behind the advancing forces I found my opponent didn't have enough resorces to even deal with him.

I really like the idea of the hounds he can take as wargear - its like adding additional wounds to him like a meat shield.

Question, does he have to take a leadership test if I lose the hounds? The hounds are a wargear item right? Not a retinue so I am not exactly sure how to deal with losing the hounds to gun fire and close combat when dealing with morale tests.

Quote:
Carnivore Kindred (12)
Back up Vehicle/Big dude assaulter. They should come into CC later in the game and can be generally useful against dreads where they'll still get attacks and their small squad size won't kill them.
Used the same exact squad (even the fast reflex signature) and they did wonderfully against the marines - this made a huge difference when charging units in the open and when going into the second round of combat as the Kroot got to hit simultaneously. It was definitely wasted against the Tau as I was going to hit first anyway. For units that can take all Frag grenades this makes the unit to hit simu in both situations of charging into cover and the second round of combat so that was a bonus.

As for assaulting dreds, armor and big dudes I found Carnivores rather slow (or just too far away even with infiltration and BoS to assault anything) - my houndpacks on the other hand were always a prime unit to assault vehicles on the first turn as they got that very important fleet of foot move and with the surefoot charm they were able to make up the distance that infiltration put me out at. The Carnivores I found took an extra turn or 3 to even get into charge range (and thats also with Blood of the Stalker option). I ended up using them equally between a fire base and CC support unit (not by design but thats just how I used them based on the situation).

I would leave the Trackers as armor and monster poppers and use the carnivores as a possible back up but again, you find your units with fleet or scouting move to out-run everyone else. I found the hounds to be able to last in a drawn out close combat and can often survive until the carnivores catch up. Not a big problem but relying on Carnivores to reach a dreadnaught isn't a sure thing and thus I don't count on them to do that.

The Houndpack looks great and again used the same exact build. They were easily the star of most of my games.

The rest of the list I can't count on and I am rather eager to hear how the great knarlacks perform. Please let us know how you fare with this list.

Good luck and happy hunting!
Old 06 Dec 2007, 02:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Kwi
Question, does he have to take a leadership test if I lose the hounds? The hounds are a wargear item right? Not a retinue so I am not exactly sure how to deal with losing the hounds to gun fire and close combat when dealing with morale tests.
You would, as they are treated as body guard, not wargear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2007, 05:24   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Howdy Exokan,
Well first off, I saw your pics, from that tourny you played in, looked sweet.

As far as the list, I had some questions for you....
The trackers, are they really worth it? I'm trying to build my own list, and I can't decide if I like the trackers.
As far as goaded Knarlocks... sweet. I've always had them do well in the games that I've played. And of course, hound packs are good. I wouldn't be too shy about skimping on kroot troops. I think their other units are far superior.
jhagadurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2007, 01:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, on the 28th we'll see how I do! I'll make sure to bring my Camera. I can only hope FW delivers my riders in time.

I haven't ever used trackers but I can just imagine their usefulness. 6" scout, 12" movement, 6" assault. 24" inches without difficult terrain, and they can still infiltrate. Add Blood of the Stalker and you can potentially have 30" maneuverability! Basically I'm looking for first turn tank removal. We'll see if it works out... This a learning experience for me too!

The Hounds are amazing, the Knarlocs not so much, and I actually really like Carnivores. They're cheap, plentiful, and provide more shapers! They also form the very important second wave assaulters. Kroot close combats run out of steam very quickly without back up. Anyways, as I said before, I'm a bit of a composition freak, and so going under 40% Troops isn't really an option for me. Comp-Sportsmanship-Painting are categories that are as important to me as battle points... if not more so...
Old 20 Dec 2007, 05:48   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I've been looking at putting 3 Knarlocs armed with twin-linked Kroot rifles into my army... It's a lot of points.... 300 to be exact, and it's only 3 models. But that's 15 wounds, which 'can' potentiall take out light and medium armor from a range. My reasoning is, they will be a threat, but they will be an easy target, yet, it will take many shots to kill them. I'm hoping that not only will they do some damage, but also be a good misdirection from my my force of carnivores and hound packs?

Now, I'm open to advice on this, I'm sure many people will disagree with me on this. I'm not even entirely convinced, but I've been reading a lot about the Duke Wellington, and his tactics.... so the sacrifice of the diversion has been on my mind recently.

Also, I already have the models for these...

Old 20 Dec 2007, 20:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Mmm, Mounted Great Knarlocs... I'd love to own three!

I only use one and as I see it, two would be better. Now you have an even number of wounds, and you'll always be at least 50% (but you'll also have to All On Your Own Too...). The footprint would be a little bit smaller, and when it comes time to assault the punch might be harder (then one).

Three is very expensive, and autocannons (now much more popular) and heavy bolters tear apart Great Knarlocs. Saying 'Cover is important' is obvious, and moving them quickly when the time comes is also key. It'd be interesting. Mercs are all about sacrifice, but then again 300 points is a bit too much...
Old 22 Dec 2007, 22:53   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Indeed true.

I played with 2 of them in a 1000 point game on Friday... I had those guys, a decently sized hound pack, 2 carnivore squads, and a master shaper. I was allied illegally with 1000 points of tau. And there is a reason for this.... wether you choose to believe me or not, the tau allies where completely useless in combination with my kroot. I tied up so many targets in melee, he couldn't do much. In fact, all game, he only killed a chaos predator, 2 khorne marines, and 2 chaos terminators.
Our opponent played 2000 points of khorne marine heavy chaos, as he knew that he would be facing kroot. Kroot don't fare well against khorne marines. They did pretty good against the possessed marines that they charged first turn, taking out 8 of the 10 models. But then a unit of khorne marines counter charged, and while the big hound pack lasted for 4 turns, eventually the chaos HQ beat down the master shaper and cleared the squad out. My knarlocs shot at them but didn't do too much. THe game ended before they could get into combat. And for no reason should kroot be assaulted. THey need all the attacks they can get. I had my 2 carnivore squads (24) in a castle thing, and because they didn't assault, one squad of khorne with a second HQ was able to totally kill all of the kroot.

So, in short, khorne are retarded.