Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kroot list
Old 13 Oct 2007, 10:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Kroot list

Im new to kroot, having come to love the models from my tau army...
I've gone and done research on Kroot, looking at this site and Kompletely Kroot.
This is a 500 point list ive been thinking about

HQ

Master Shaper
-Power Weapon
-Flamer
-Frag Grenades

60 Points

Troops

12 Man Carnivores
Shaper with
-Power Weapon
-Flamer
138 Points

12 Man Carnivores
Shaper with
-Eviscerator
-Frag Grenades
151 Points

12 Man Carnivores
Shaper with
-Eviscerator
-Frag Grenades
151 Points

This would mainly be used to counter nids, as their are two players with almost opposites for lists
1) Gaunts Gaunts and more Gaunts. 80 seperate 5 point gaunts in 750-1000 point games. Also with warriors hq and zoanthropes for synapse/anti tank
2)Hive Tyrant/Carnifex Galore. About half the points spent on them each game, and theyre usually 250 points each.
I plan on combining the Master Shaper with the Flamer to counter any gaunts and the eviscerators on the MCs
I probably wont face any non monolith tanks* and no marines except some khorne and grey knights (amazing isnt it, gaming club without any regular marine players)
*Theres a mech ig out there but i dont think kroot would have much of a chance vs them.
To expand I do like the Krootoxs, Greater Knarlocks and Vultures but cant find any cheap wings

Any feedback is welcome
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2007, 19:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Kroot list

If you are facing nids i would drop a carnie squad for hounds.
Old 12 Nov 2007, 01:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

Hate to say it, but your points are off. Unless you counted the Shaper as a separate model than one of the Kroot (As you counted him as one of them with the first Carnivore squad), that leaves you with 16 points left over. And I'd have to agree, that taking Hounds are better. Here's what I suggest, working off of your list:

HQ
Master Shaper
-Eviscerator
-Frag Grenades
-2 Hounds (As he'll still count as an IC)
PTS: 68

TROOPS
10 Man Carnivores
-Shaper
-Power Weapon
-Bolt pistol - or - Shuriken pistol
PTS: 118

10 Man Carnivores
-Shaper
-Power Weapon
PTS: 118

FAST
10 Kroot
10 Hounds
-Shaper
-Frag grenades
-Power weapon

The reason I took the pistols over the flamer is that it allows you the extra attack. Though, taking the flamer (No power weapon) with the hounds would be a nice idea as the whole point of them is to get into assault. Leaves you 11 points left though (Could take melta bombs on the Master Shaper for extra tank hunting). Happy Hunting! ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2007, 18:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

One problem I'm noticing here is that you all can't leave shapers well enough alone with Kroot Rifles. You don't pay any extra, and you get +1 attack, and still have a decent shooting weapon.

Have you thought about using traps against nids? Granted, traps aren't the best, but for 15 points it's basically a free blast template's worth of gaunts. If nothing else, telling the other player that you are using traps might just keep his expensive units out of cover! Traps may not be strong, but hey, psychology can be a weapon.

Also, think about stalkers if you don't like traps. You can set up a nice li'l ambush, and when those expensive warriors come scuttling across, POW! Locked in CC before they knew what happened.

If you need me to explain the rules for Ambush and Traps just send me a PM, they don't sell the Catachan codex in most stores anymore. Too bad, it's a lot of fun!

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2007, 21:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Alright just a few comments aimed at previous comments...

A Shaper with hounds will not be treated as an IC in 4th edition. The rules are ambiguous, but you will loose almost every debate on that topic... There's really no good argument as to why he can or can't stay an IC and so like with drones, he's accompanied by guys, and becomes a unit.

Shapers need upgrades. They are the reason you take Carnivore squads (besides being required to...). Shapers are the only units in the a Kroot list that can actually be kitted for close combat or tank hunting, and they need to be that way. Another S4 gun is uneeded.

Traps are poor poor choices, when Hunters, Great Knarlocs are the best heavy units we have. Hunters are simply amazing and traps are sub par at best... the enemy has to actually activate them!

Also, let me say that using anything from Catachans outside of a very friendly game will get you a weird look. The book is from 3rd and technically no longer very legal. Jungle Fighting rules and Ambushes can rarely be used at all. I'd look Stalkers and I would always take them if they had Lictor Deployment rules... but they don't they have archaic rules out of an outdated Imperial Guard Codex. Don't take Stalkers (or traps for that matter), if for nothing else but their out of date, and virtually unusable rules.

Besides that the list looks pretty standard. It's tough to do anything interesting at 500 points. The Hound squad is definitely going to be killer... remember to give them HNO and Surefoot... it's almost a must!