Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

kroot merc combat patrol
Old 02 Oct 2007, 00:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default kroot merc combat patrol

IMPORTANT NOTE:
1) to allow this list to play battle patrol, all shapers have 2 wounds and are 10 points cheaper

2) this is my first kroot merc list

3) i probably made a bunch of mistakes, so please correct me

4) i only have basic kroot models from my tau army at the moment

SEA: Fast Reflexes
the idea is to make sure i get to attack first with a massive infiltrating force that will overrun the enemy

troop:
kroot carnivore kindred
10 kroot
*shaper upgrade
*shaper has an additional close combat weapon
total: 101 points
infiltrate, tie up things like heavy weapons, force target priority, and just cause general havoc :P

heavy support:
hunter kindred
10 kroot
*shaper upgrade
*auspex
total: 102 points
these guys will sit back and fire/pin against MC's or low LD squads, or anything high priority

fast attack:
kroot hound pack
10 kroot
10 hounds
*shaper upgrade
*auspex (to make sure i dont get counter- infiltrated)
*hyperactive nymune organ
*blood of the stalker
total: 202 points
infiltrate these guys, and hopefully get right up to the enemy with blood of the stalker, and hopefully if i get first turn, unleash a massive wave of 50 WS4, S4, I4 attacks (50 attacks on the charge)

hq:
master shaper
*kroothawk totem
*mark of the favored child
*wings
*frag grenades
*close combat weapon
*another close combat weapon (if i make any model, its gonna be this guy, dual chain swords... ;D)
total: 96 points
i mostly added him to increase my chances of getting 1st turn, but he offers some CC support in the form of 6 WS4, S4, I5 attacks on the charge!!! plus he would look awesome

[glow=red,2,300]TOTAL: exactly 500 POINTS[/glow]

i know, this is lacking anti armor, but i dont really understand where kroot get there anti armor from. i figure they are better off ignoring vehicles and just going for the footsloggers. any major problems with this list though?
yosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2007, 00:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: kroot merc battle patrol

Well, first off Combat Patrol is played at 400 points. Second, even with mini Shaper, squads of 10 are a bit too small, but then again, you're using them simply as the mandatory Troop, so oh well. Third, your Hound Shaper should have a Power Weapon, or Eviscerator to perform well.

Finally, I'm not a big fan of makeshift Shapers. I understand the list is utterly colorless without them, but that's the nature of the game. Kroot Mercs don't really work well in a combat patrol setting. The points limit is too small, and unless you get enough early assaults off (with power weapons) any marine player will cream you.

That being said, it looks fine...
Old 02 Oct 2007, 00:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: kroot merc combat patrol

well, at this point in time, i can barely even pull this list off (i will have to borrow a squad of kroot from someone). but as i was tyring to put this together, i came to the conclusion that the kroot codex is VERY unnecessarily complicated!
Old 02 Oct 2007, 06:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Really? I think it's one of the more simple ones coming out of 3rd... actually it's out of a White Dwarf, so it's minimalistic as well. Really, I feel like GW decided to write the list on a rainy day, and had no idea that people would be into it...
Old 02 Oct 2007, 11:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i do not understand why kroot do not do well in games this sized! ???

due to the lack of kroot anti-armor i figured combat patrol would be fine, where the highest AV you usually see is 12. you will lack mass numbers, but you will also have less tanks, souped up characters, etc.

and the rules i downloaded state that combat patrol can be 400 or 500 points... is this wrong?