Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

another kroot list
Old 16 Aug 2007, 19:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default another kroot list

first time into kroot. these models are simply to crazy to pass up an entire list!
but im going to put in some of my eldar just to give an "elite" feel to it.

1000 points:

HQ
1 master shaper
storm bolter, 2 hounds, fleet of foot, shuriken pistol

1 farseer
DOOM, witch blade

ELITES
9 head hunters 1 shaper
fleet of foot, shuriken catapult, frags

TROOPS
10 Guardians
shuriken cannon

10 Guardians
shuriken cannon

14 kroot 1 shaper
melta bombs, storm bolter

14 kroot 1 shaper
melta bombs, catapult

FAST ATTACK

9 trackers, shaper
melta bombs, catapult

HEAVY SUPPORT
1 punji trap

exactly 1000 points if i added right.

azr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2007, 22:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha
Default Re: another kroot list

1.) Master shaper loses independant character if he takes hounds, and the storm-bolter is an assault weapon. Drop the hounds and the pistol, and consider taking a power weapon...or even an eviscerator.

2.) Where are your anti-tank weapons? How long have you been playing, man?! Three melta bombs will not be enough to take down a tank.

3.) Trackers are useless compared to hunter kindreds, given that they carry heavy weapons. Drop them, and take the hunter kindred if you are so inclined.

Here's a much better example of what your list could be, if you are going for an all-infantry specialization:

[hr]
[hr]
HQ
Farseer, Doom: 80 points

TROOPS
16 guardians, Eldar missile launcher: 143 points

16 guardians, Eldar missile launcher: 143 points

5 Pathfinders: 120 points

5 Pathfinders: 120 points

Carnivore Kindred x16, Blood of the Stalker, Eviscerator, Slugga, Auspex: 197 points

Carnivore Kindred x16, Blood of the Stalker, Eviscerator, Slugga, Auspex: 197 points
[hr]
TOTAL: 1000 points
[hr]

This gives you a solid base of shooting, with the Farseer's doom laying down some serious pain, the guardians with their missile launcher taking down tanks from cover, and the pathfinders picking off any heavy armor infantry (5+'s to hit causing AP1). The kroot form a large body that still fits fairly well in cover, shooting out and assaulting targets of opportunity (such as monstrous creatures or tanks ) with the eviscerator, as well as providing moderate infiltrator push-back.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2007, 22:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

heres an improved list:

HQ
1 master shaper
storm bolter, 2 hounds, fleet of foot, shuriken pistol

1 farseer
DOOM, witch blade

ELITES
9 head hunters 1 shaper

TROOPS
10 Guardians
shuriken cannon

10 Guardians
shuriken cannon

14 kroot 1 shaper

14 kroot 1 shaper
melta bombs, catapult

FAST ATTACK
9 kroot 1 shaper 5 hounds
cc weapon

HEAVY SUPPORT
5 hunters 1 shaper
storm bolter, melta bombs

i simply dont like rangers, and would like to have more kroot, but that EML combo is where i want to go, so lets think.
possibly get rid of the hounds and give the master shaper a melta?
or get rid of him all together?

Old 17 Aug 2007, 00:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

My first and only love for the master-shaper is my tank-muncher combo: Wings, Eviscerator, Blood of the Stalker and Mark of the Favored Child. It's expensive for just one model, but if you take advantage of cover and the IC rules, he's almost always guaranteed to hit something big, expensive, and soon to be dead ;D. The melta combo works, but if you do make sure that you Master-Craft the Meltagun to ensure better hit rates.

Kroot mercs as add-ons are hard to manage at small points levels, especially if you are using them as anything other than a supplement. Kroot have the advantage of numbers, but unless you max out your squads or use cover intelligently they will drop like flies. Additionally, you STILL don't have ANY anti-tank weapons. I will restate this: Unless you use the BloodFleetSurefoot combo with an Eviscerator OR bait the enemy into a trap, those Medium-high armor vehicles are going to wade through you.

Do you actually have any Kroot yet, or is this all theory?
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Old 17 Aug 2007, 03:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

so far its all in theroy because i want to have agood list down before i buy anything.

I have an eldar army so how does the list above eith EMLs and only 12 kroot warriors in each squad sound?

Old 17 Aug 2007, 03:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hang on, you can only take one Kroot unit for each Troops choice in your base army, if I remember rightly... sorry, but you need to rework.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2007, 03:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

thanks for killing my idea of a kroot army there bud! :P
ill work around it somehow....

well since id like to have an effective force that is mainly centered around my kroot i will offer what eldar units i have and see what would work well in a list, heres what i have eldar wise:

farseer
2 warlocks
20 guardians
6 dire avengers and an exarch
2 dark reapers and exarch
5 fire dragons
5 howling banshees

id like to have more kroot than eldar but seeing as how that aint possible anymore, im just gonna go for effectivness.

hows this for a list?

HQ
farseer
DOOM

TROOPS
10 guardians
EML

10 guardians
EML

fast attack
19 kroot 1 shaper 18 kroot hounds
auspex, melta bomb, frag g-nades, storm bolter, fleet of foot, close combat weapon, chameleon to the shaper

19 kroot 1 shaper 18 kroot hounds
auspex, melta bomb, frag g-nades, storm bolter, fleet of foot, close combat weapon, chameleon to the shaper

this should take up exatcly 1000 points

Old 17 Aug 2007, 06:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
Hang on, you can only take one Kroot unit for each Troops choice in your base army, if I remember rightly... sorry, but you need to rework.
Actually, only the basic limitations of 1 HQ and 2 Troops from the normal army have to be satisfied. After that, you may take 0-1 HQ, Elite, FastAttack, &/or heavy, and 0-2 troops units from the kroot mercenary list.

Additionally, azr9, you may take sig. evolutions ONLY in full kroot-mercs armies, and they must be applied to every single kroot carnivore-type model (meaning everything but hounds and 'tox).

Old 17 Aug 2007, 13:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

so this would be a legal list?

HQ
1 master shaper
storm bolter, fleet of foot, shuriken pistol

1 farseer
DOOM, witch blade

ELITES
9 head hunters 1 shaper

TROOPS
10 Guardians
EML

10 Guardians
EML

12 kroot 1 shaper

12 kroot 1 shaper
melta bombs, storm bolter, cc weapon

FAST ATTACK
9 kroot 1 shaper 5 hounds
cc weapon

HEAVY SUPPORT
5 hunters 1 shaper
storm bolter, melta bombs

Old 17 Aug 2007, 14:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Legal? Yes. Effective? Hell no. I cannot over-emphasize the importance of having a reliable, powerful weapon to take out tanks, monstrous creatures, heavy armor or other large units. Also, some of your upgrades make no sense: giving shuriken catapults to kroot just gives them an extra point of AP, at the cost of their extra CC attack. And for the love of Prok, why do you still have a pistol on your master shaper, when the storm-bolter is a TWO HANDED ASSAULT 2 WEAPON (You cannot get the "dual weapons" bonus unless they are both one-handed weapons)? Or putting a storm-bolter on your hunter's shaper, which removes their sniper rifle AND shortens their range?

To top it off, this list fails to take advantage of the Kroot Merc's special equipment, like Blood of the Stalker, which allows you to get even closer to your opponent at the start of the game. Yes, it costs 2.5 kroot. Yes, it is worth it.

Here's some suggested changes.

[hr]
HQ
Master Shaper, Wings, Master-Crafted Meltagun: 83

Farseer, Doom: 80 points

ELITES
Headhunters x10, Fleet, Eviscerator: 166

TROOPS
Guardians x10: 80

Guardians x10: 80

Carnivores x11, Power Weapon, Shuriken Pistol: 125 points

Carnivores x11, Power Weapon, Shuriken Pistol: 125 points

FAST ATTACK
Hound Pack x10, Hounds x5, Fleet, Eviscerator: 176 points

HEAVY SUPPORT
Hunter Kindred x8: 85 points

[hr]

Take advantage of your strengths: the Shaper's 3 attacks, infiltration + fleet + blood of the stalker + surefoot charm for a near-guaranteed 1st turn assault, and the bonus to cover in forests. Place strategically, and try to hit hard all at once once the enemy is where YOU want them.