Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Kroot Codex
Old 26 Jul 2007, 08:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default New Kroot Codex

Hey

A long time fan of the Kroot, i have decided to create a new kroot fandex type things. i have already decided to change a few things, like having Kroot Shamans as a seperate HQ choice with their own psychic powers, powering up the M.S a bit, making shaper councils cost a bit less and have them not take up a HQ slot, like a bodyguard, and will include some new choices, such as Great Beast Herd(Great Knarloc and Kroot beast), Metamorphers, Adaptationals and Kroot Swarms(more on all of them later). Your help and ideas would be greatly appreciated

Therdyne
P.S i know about the Kodex Kroot, and that is the main reason i am doing this, to make a combination between the C.A codex and the Kompletely Kroot one

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
-A very clever person

Haemonculi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2007, 14:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha
Default Re: New Kroot Codex

Make sure that you tone down the cost of krootox to match the current Tau codex.

What, by force-org chart, are the units you are going to have in the army, and could you give a short description on some of the more abstract ones?
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 20:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

This sounds like a good idea, I'll make sure to check back here and chime in every now and again.

I think that knarloc riders need some new rules..as they are, sniper rifles on cavalry is pretty useless in my opinion.
Dom of Gears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2007, 02:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I always found the Kodex Kroot interesting but off putting. Something about it seemed a bit too wishful and a little compensating. That aside it always struck me as a 'Homeworld' or 'Soldier' Kroot list rather then a Kroot Mercenaries. I enjoy the read but I don't think I'd ever play it.

There are a few changes here and there that could really help make the Kroot list viable. I'll go down the line a maybe elaborate a little more later.

[hr]

Special Rules:
Fieldcraft is a great rule and shouldn't be changed.

Release the Hounds should disappear.

Eaters of the Dead should be changed slightly: The squad must pass a morale check in order to Sweeping Advance (a la 3rd edition). The shaper decides if the enemy is worth eating or not.

Hounds and Oxes... do these rules even need to be in the list? Way to copy and paste GW.

HNO is great. SEAs are fine as well. As I said in another thread, maybe an SEA which grants a USR could work.

Certain squads have access to the 'Leaping' ability (like certain squads have access to the HNO). It allows them to always hit a non-flyer vehicle on a 4+ in Hand to Hand combat.

Stats:

Change Hounds to the 4th Edition Tau version.

Change Master Shapers initiative to 5.

Change Krootox toughness to Unmodified 4 (and that's it).

Equipment:

Allow all Shapers access to Melta's and Plasmas.

Change Kroot Guns to Assault 1.

Totems are nice. Possibly add a few of the more reasonable ones from Kodex Kroot.

Camo cloak possible for Master Shaper. Possible 5+ armor for regular Shapers.

Units:

Master Shaper - Leaping

Carnivores - One model in a unit may be given 'The Mark of Ascending' for 6 points and my purchase either a Melta or Plasma gun for their normal cost. (A 21 point plasma is harsh... and you could almost buy three more Kroot).

Stalkers lose 3rd Edition ambush rules and gain Stealth & Move Through Cover USRs. Can have HNO. Can be equipped with Kroot Assault Weapons. Adds +2 attacks. Max 12 Kroot per squad. Leaping. Never raise the alarm in a scenario.

Headhunters gain and Move Through Cover.

Shaper Council could stay together or be split up like advisers. Split up causes points bump. Leaping.

Great Knarloc squads - In combat While the Knarloc is still alive the squad is fearless or is never effected by negative modifiers. Give Great Knarlocs 4 attacks or make them Monstrous.

Combine Tracker and Knarloc rider entries. Base points of 20p. Armed with Hunting rifles and have the Scout and Expert Rider USRs. May replace Hunting Rifle with a Kroot Rifle for 10 points. Maybe 'train' or 'evolve' Knarlocs to move like bikes instead of cavalry for 10 more points, you then loose Scout. May buy a Shaper.

Krootox squads are required to have two Kroot for every Ox taken. 1-6 OX may be taken plus Kroot. One Kroot must upgrade to a Shaper.

[hr]

That's some of my changes off the top of my head. It takes very little from the list and adds a bunch of things but nothing out of the blue. The meltas, plasmas, CC Powerweapons, Leaping and Kroot Guns should all help with the skimmer vehicle problem. Ox are finally useful. Stalkers will be taken, and Carnivores can finally be more then meatshields. With an attached Shaper and a MoA they can be a tough little pillbox shooting some deadly stuff. I'm never too good with points but everything seems alright with the changes (at least on paper).
Old 04 Aug 2007, 04:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

This is sounding pretty good so far; must watch this space.
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Aug 2007, 11:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hey

great feedback here, and so as Damien_Alpha said, here is an overview...

Master Shapers will be made better and have more options
Carnivores will be the same as in the Tau codex, having the choice to take a save
Having a cheaper but less powerful option that you can take instead of a shaper(thinking about Tiro Shaper)
Kroot swarms will be an option
kroot shamans will be a separate 0-1 HQ choice
most rules will be dropped, as exocan said(that guy is a legend)
love the leaping idea
will also drop the knarloc riders hunting rifle and exchange it for an anti-infantry weapon
add some more SEA, such as a one that makes them fleet, and maybe one that makes them stronger
maybe a very versatile 0-1 troops choice(maybe adaptationals)

so thats all i've got to so far, but more will be coming soon, keep that feedback coming!

Therdyne

-A very clever person

Old 07 Aug 2007, 21:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

What are kroot swarms?
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2007, 22:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

10p bases which are very much like rippers. They have the animals rule which I guess means you can shoot into close combat (with other units) if the swarms are engaged.

I'm going to be honest and say I don't like them. At all. I could see maybe taking them in a 'Pech' list but nowhere else. Little scurrying animals? I wouldn't even know what to do with them...

As far as I can tell, they move like normal infantry, can only really assault, and are only good for their I4, and 3 wounds. Even then, get me another Kroot! Even if you could assault, the unit would break immediately and never regroup. They would never tie a unit down long enough for a Carnivore squad to use the Animals rule! And as an assault shield??? Forget about it... they'd run.

Besides just the playability issues, I dislike the idea of them. Why would these silent smooth killers resort to using scared animals to possibly trip an enemy? I like GWs punji trap entry better (and that's saying a lot)!
Old 12 Aug 2007, 05:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hi

i can see your point, exocan, i'll probably get rid of them, but what on the others, heres the new statline for the master shaper, tell me what you think
Pts WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
Master Shaper 40 5 4 4 3 3 5 3 10 5+

Therdyne

P.S sorry about the delay, i'm very busy

-A very clever person

Old 12 Aug 2007, 09:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

I like it, but it seems undercosted for what you are getting, compared to the existing (and still REALLY cheap) master shaper. Unless the shapers/shaper council get initiative bumps, I would just leave the initiative for the Master Shaper at 4. The weapon and ballistic skill bumps are very much appreciatable, considering that the Master Shaper is supposed to be a Veteran shaper of many, many years.

What do you plan for him in the way of "Better options"?
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote