Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[Drafts] Choosing Kroot lists.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 06:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default [Drafts] Choosing Kroot lists.

Hey guys! I am starting kroot (for half a year now : , trying to get my head straight and make some models so far not successfully...)...

So I made some lists. I'll try to remain "themed", But I don't feel like being wiped out either...

I'll choose fluff/paint theme later, now I have to know what models to make.

Ok lets hears what I've got ->

***Armies are under 1000 points in "1000 points" class***

---------------------------------------------------------------->
The Silent Hunters***Head Hunters heavy***

Adaptation -> Fast reflexes

HQ

Master shaper with Melta gun, veneration, Hawk totem, Close combat weapon, Mark of the favorite & Auspex.

Comment: Trying to make him cheep. With charm and melta gun, I can have "somewhat" reliable weapon. Its cheap and shouldn't put my shaper in immediate danger as he will be "screened". Mark is a condidate on removing if I can keep him out of HtH... If thats the case I'll give one Blood of stalker to one Head Hunter squad.

Elite

2 Units of Head Hunters.
14 strong with shapers. Both have fleet. Shapers has auspexes.

Comment: Its a double edge sword. They can fleet and be a good fleeting unit that can attack infantry, they can shoot, and they can assalt big guys too.

Troops

2 units of kroot
14 strong with shapers. Shapers are armed with chainsaws blot pistols and auspex

Comment: They are made o do everything. They have a chainfist (VS TEQ/MEQ/Vehicles), bolters, and even can shoot at other infiltrators. And are cheap!

Heavy Support

Hunter Kindred
10 man with shaper who has auspex.

Comments: Who doesn't love the? Honestly?! Not only they are one of the best of our units! They are perfect for my theme! ( Now with auspex! ;D )

Over all comments: have 5 units and one IC. 52 "do it all" 10 "hunters" one IC.

Sky Stalkers ***Vultures heavy***

Adaptation -> Fast Reflexes

HQ

Master Shaper

Wings, hawk & mark, power weapon & bolt pistol,

Comments: This time I went for a "duelist". He will join one of the Vultures.

Troops

2 units
14 strong with shapers auspexes, Chain saws & Bolt pistols.

Comment: See above in previous Draft, small note, in this case they are much more "do it all" I guess...

Fast Attack

2 Units of Vultures
12 strong with Shapers who have, auspexes, chainsaws & bolt pistols.

Comments: Assalt squads. Can chew up almost anything. With the aid of shaper they will gain LD, and 5 power weapon attack. Can be a major pain but fragile on points and smaller in numbers. Still have ChainFists.

Heavy Support

10 Hunters with shaper & auspex.

Comment: This time they are not all that in place "fluff wise" (still can think of a lot of thing why they might be employed). But they are still effective as always.

Over all comments: 4 less kroot, no melta gun. No 3 monster hunters, but 2 more chain fists, 1 PW and jump troops.

Well... Tell me what you think? Which is better? What can be done? Want to stay in 1000 limit though. How about fluff? Anyway any comments are welcome!
I'll may be will do more drafts. (Hunter kinder is first on my list anyway, they'll be in every army I guess ;D)

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2007, 16:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: [Drafts] Choosing Kroot lists.

There a few things quirky about your lists. Kroot at 1000p are arguable more competitive than at higher point levels, but this is really because of the amount of Kroot you can actually bring. Fast Reflexes kind of screws that up a bit simply because you could take more Kroot. That being said, if you want to take an adaptation Reflexes is the best in my opinion.

In your first list. Your shaper is interesting. I say drop the mark, because with only a melta and no CC awesomeness, you'll just want to screen (IC) him anyways. With that in mind, he is a great way to have an extra Powerweapon at I5 in a Headhunter assault. Giving him fleet and a Power weapon would be nice.

Headhunter Shapers should have Surefoot Charms. It makes fleet rolls worth it. Blood of the Stalker is also pretty decent and can possibly help with a first turn assault. With the units being overpriced already, I say go all out and make the Headhunters great rather than mediocre. Do the Headhunter Shapers have Eviscerators? They should. They're much better then that silly poison attack.

One the second list you might as well lose the extra attack and give your Master Shaper a Meltagun. It pretty darn effective on winged Lords. Everything else seems to be OK.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 17:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
There a few things quirky about your lists. Kroot at 1000p are arguable more competitive than at higher point levels, but this is really because of the amount of Kroot you can actually bring. Fast Reflexes kind of screws that up a bit simply because you could take more Kroot. That being said, if you want to take an adaptation Reflexes is the best in my opinion.
Well thats the idea ^_^. 1000 points is somewhat balanced level. My chances increase on it. I tried 750 points, but seems to me I can't fit all the that stuff that I want in it... For reflexes... Against MEQ thats about the only thing I have. That and cover. Frags cost the same, but you need to assalt him in cover plus, regular kroot can't take them. And MEQ carry frags as well usually. Also against bugs... I might run in some problems with huge gaunt broods. I am not stupid enough to fight stealers (I'll just shoot em), but the rest... I'll need that +1 I IMO... Orc hybrid... I though, but I like rather "fast" then "big". Plus ! If I will play vs armed company I can just "swap" it on 6th sense! It costs the same ^_^. Dirty? Hey hey! I play for the underdogs hear! ;D

Quote:
In your first list. Your shaper is interesting. I say drop the mark, because with only a melta and no CC awesomeness, you'll just want to screen (IC) him anyways. With that in mind, he is a great way to have an extra Powerweapon at I5 in a Headhunter assault. Giving him fleet and a Power weapon would be nice.
Hmmm yeah I see what are you saying... I wasn't planning to put him to head hunters... I'll run some more point sketches later...

Quote:
Headhunter Shapers should have Surefoot Charms. It makes fleet rolls worth it. Blood of the Stalker is also pretty decent and can possibly help with a first turn assault. With the units being overpriced already, I say go all out and make the Headhunters great rather than mediocre. Do the Headhunter Shapers have Eviscerators? They should. They're much better then that silly poison attack.
I have to disagree on this one. You see, Head Hunters will only fight GEQ and monsters! For GEQ... Chainsaw is an over kill, for monsters -> IMO 14 attacks that can wound him better then 3 attacks that can wound him, keep in mind that you have to use your WS with Chain saw and you don't have to use your WS with poison. You also will strike first! (As for WS... well unless you will get yours decreased, the only on that is "better" is 9-10... Avatars have it...)
Plus chainfist costs a lot...
As for surefoot. I'll try to save some points somewhere and get it.....

Quote:
One the second list you might as well lose the extra attack and give your Master Shaper a Meltagun. It pretty darn effective on winged Lords. Everything else seems to be OK.
Not enough points :-\

--------------------------------------------------------------->

EDIT: About poison attack... I still don't know I re read it and I guess it uses WS as well... Again the only advantage is Initiative hear IMO... Still, Chainfist is soo expensive on hunters...

Thanx for comments. Again any other comments are always welcome! I'll try to get more drafts done...

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2007, 20:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

First of all, the master shaper really has only one decent purpose: tankhunter. Since he is an independant character, he can be easily screened...but since he only has (relatively) mediocre stats across the board, he's not going to be a CCbeast OR a decent shot. A master shaper with wings and an eviscerator costs a mere 78 points. Give him blood of the stalker, and he's almost guaranteed to get at least one tank before he goes. And if they do kill him, all the better: They wasted their shooting/assault move to kill a non-scoring unit, leaving your other kroot to do their job.

Kroot troop squads can use eviscerators. That said, they're not the best place for them. Really, you're better off using stormbolters or flamers and powerweapons (thus striking at initiative), and having a meltabomb or krak grenade as a backup. Your faster squads such as Headhunters, Hound packs, or vulture kindreds will make much better use of them (especially hound packs and vultures, which make very nice tankhunter/swarm units for fairly cheap). That said, keep in mind that those lowly GEQ's might hit you with a Leman Russ: even the small guys, it pays to be prepared.

Exocan is right about surefoot charms, though. It only costs ten points, but can make the difference between getting there or getting shredded. Blood of the Stalker is also your friend. Used selectively and wisely, it can place the units you NEED to get there, up in the enemy's face.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2007, 08:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hi

Quote:
If I will play vs armed company I can just "swap" it on 6th sense! It costs the same ^_^.
i hate to disillusion you, but you cannot just swap it for 6th sense, as it costs you two points instead of one. i also agree with Exocan, if you drop the Fast Reflexes, then you could take another 63 points on the headhunter list and another 59 Pts on the vulture list. But, criticisms aside, they are quite good. in my spare time, i got a chance to give the vulture one a go, but lost to a guard army, but it was well balanced, and it may have helped if one of the vulture squads didn't scatter off the edge!

Therdyne

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
-A very clever person

Haemonculi is offline   Reply With Quote