Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

kroot & their signature evolutionary adaptations.
Old 05 Jun 2007, 00:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default kroot & their signature evolutionary adaptations.

anyone know if there's an 'official' source for new adaptations? my friends, even though not tau players, dig the fluff behind the kroot and i was wondering if there's a template or perhaps table out there that lets one construct their own powers, akin to the old table that let people build tyranids in days of yore.

I've been itching to try an Eldar-themed evolution as well as a Tyranid-themed one; before everyone screams at me for suggesting the latter, could anyone perhaps bring some constructive criticism to light on said abilities?

Eldar Hybrid
Years of consuming the flesh of the lithe eldar have given these kroot a distinctive, long legged and slender appearance. All models with this upgrade benefit from +1" to their ground speed, as well as a +1 initiative on any round they charge; however before beginning the game, roll a d6: on a roll of 1 or 2, the kroot have also inherited some of the Eldar's weakness and receive a -1 strength penalty to represent their poor genetics.
+2 points per model.

Tyranid Spawned
Some kroot have tasted the forbidden flesh of the tyranid species, and have benefited (and suffered) as a direct result of these actions. These savage kroot are filled with bloodlust and receive a +6 save, from newly grown chitin and during an assault, should any members roll a 6, they receive a single, extra S3 bite, representing their vicious natures. Before the game, roll d6: on a roll of 1 or 2, these unreliable kroot have wandered off, listening to the siren's song of the hive-mind. Note that these kroot cannot be controlled by a shaper and thusly are not fielded with one.
+2 points per model.

Aquatic Environs
Although not as common as most kroot, some prefer the briny depths and the thrill of the hunt that only waterlogged worlds can provide. Kroot with this adaptation gain 'fleet of fin', allowing them to move an extra d6 in the shooting phase whenever they are in water, or performing a movement action across or within 2" of water.
+1 points per model.

krupintupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2007, 01:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: kroot & their signature evolutionary adaptations.

Regarding to the Tyranid Spawned; i'm not sure but dont kroot mercs always come with a 6+ save?
Im not sure that there is an official template, but you could create your own for games with your friends.
BurntEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2007, 21:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntEskimo
Regarding to the Tyranid Spawned; i'm not sure but dont kroot mercs always come with a 6+ save?
Im not sure that there is an official template, but you could create your own for games with your friends.
Well, in my Tau Empire codex they don't and in....BLAST! they do!

Alright, well, I could knock that save down to 5+ instead then, because apparently free-range Kroot are tougher than the generic and conformist ones that the Tau associate with.
Old 05 Jun 2007, 22:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thats an interesting idea, just post your ideas up when you get em. I found a custom codex on this sight somewhere. Heres the link.
http://www.freewebs.com/pfreck/Kodex%2520Kroot%2520V4.2.pdf
BurntEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2007, 21:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupintupple
anyone know if there's an 'official' source for new adaptations? my friends, even though not tau players, dig the fluff behind the kroot and i was wondering if there's a template or perhaps table out there that lets one construct their own powers, akin to the old table that let people build tyranids in days of yore.
Let's face it- kroot mercs are not getting anything official anytime soon. Which is too bad because I think they are a very distinctive force.

[/quote]I've been itching to try an Eldar-themed evolution as well as a Tyranid-themed one; before everyone screams at me for suggesting the latter, could anyone perhaps bring some constructive criticism to light on said abilities?

Eldar Hybrid
Years of consuming the flesh of the lithe eldar have given these kroot a distinctive, long legged and slender appearance. All models with this upgrade benefit from +1" to their ground speed, as well as a +1 initiative on any round they charge; however before beginning the game, roll a d6: on a roll of 1 or 2, the kroot have also inherited some of the Eldar's weakness and receive a -1 strength penalty to represent their poor genetics.
+2 points per model.[/quote]

Maybe give them fleet. Access to minor psychic powers for shapers? +1I would start to overpower them, so I would always have it coupled with -1S. Otherwise the cost would have to be much higher.

[/quote]Tyranid Spawned
Some kroot have tasted the forbidden flesh of the tyranid species, and have benefited (and suffered) as a direct result of these actions. These savage kroot are filled with bloodlust and receive a +6 save, from newly grown chitin and during an assault, should any members roll a 6, they receive a single, extra S3 bite, representing their vicious natures. Before the game, roll d6: on a roll of 1 or 2, these unreliable kroot have wandered off, listening to the siren's song of the hive-mind. Note that these kroot cannot be controlled by a shaper and thusly are not fielded with one.
+2 points per model.[/quote]

I wouldn't mess with their save- tyranids aren't really characterized by their saves. Maybe some external blades (kroot scything talons) for +1A. Your extra bite could be used with bio-plasma rules, although the cost would have to be increased. Once again borrowing from the tyranid list, you could make your hybrids act on instinctive behaviour, with the shaper taking the place of synapse (in this case the benefits of synapse probably shouldn't be used- it would once again be too costly just to balance).

[/quote]Aquatic Environs
Although not as common as most kroot, some prefer the briny depths and the thrill of the hunt that only waterlogged worlds can provide. Kroot with this adaptation gain 'fleet of fin', allowing them to move an extra d6 in the shooting phase whenever they are in water, or performing a movement action across or within 2" of water.
+1 points per model.
[/quote]

I love the idea of aquatic kroot, but 40k doesn't really have rulesets to make aquatic creatures work. Until codex: waterfight comes out, maybe adapt this idea to "amphibious kroot." This could move the focus from the greatly neglected water terrain feature to justifying deep strike or some sort of reserves rule (ie. they came from the sea).

As a general comment, I love your ideas, but make sure you playtest them, as it takes very little to really unbalance the game with house rules. I would expect that your adaptation costs would have to be increased for such exotic ideas.

Ah, but think of the modelling opportunities...

Good luck.
Bird III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2007, 15:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

The eldar hybrid upgrade is unnecessary and overly complex.

If you want "Eldar" kroot take the initiative upgrade and give every unit that can take the "Hyperactive nymune organ". Give every shaper a shuriken pistol and you're done!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2007, 02:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
The eldar hybrid upgrade is unnecessary and overly complex.

If you want "Eldar" kroot take the initiative upgrade and give every unit that can take the "Hyperactive nymune organ". Give every shaper a shuriken pistol and you're done!
Not so much 'Eldar' kroot, but more along the lines of alternate genetic abilities. I'm a big proponent of giving my green-skinned, bird-faced friends some upgrades (even if small) and some respect. I like the kroot.

I realize most of the abilities seemed redundant or ineffective, but it was mostly to get the ball rolling; also, I was dead tired.
Old 21 Jul 2007, 01:33   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I like the idea of the Amphibious Kroot as we often play beach games that goes Beach to the jungle like on an island so Jungle+Kroot=Good-Beach+Jungle=Kroot that can swim=Much better Game 8).

It could also be good for the Kroot to have boats and canoes and eat fish
I like fish especially Tuna Mornay. mmm....Yummy and cheesy - my two favourite things

Slanneesh has the best candy but Tzeench tells You Its Knowledge , Khorne Tells You Its Blood for the Blood God and Nurgle says its lime flavoured
Shasonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2007, 10:15   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I really like the idea of genetically different Kroot. As said early the tyranaid adaptation should focus less on armour save and more on attack I think.

An Orc adaption would be awesome. The Kroot could be really muscley and have increased strength.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 16:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

There already is an Ork upgrade. It creates 'Green Kroot'. They benefit from +1 Toughness. Why they get extra strength? Orks are weaker then Kroot...

Remember there doesn't need to be a downside to an adaptation. Just a points cost. I personally dislike both the Eldar and Tyranid ideas as they simply seem forced. The Kroot benefit genetically from everything they eat. They're not the Tyranids who assimilate different DNA into their warriors.

What the Kroot list now is fine. It'd be nice to have some of the less useful Adaptations have a single squad price and then a character price.

Kroot gaining some USRs through adaptations would be nice, as would a 'Leaping' upgrade (always hit all vehicles on a 4+ in Close Combat).

Besides that though, I don't think they need much more...