Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tankmuncher Supreme and the Blademouth Devourers (Kroot Mercs)
Old 12 May 2007, 06:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha
Default Tankmuncher Supreme and the Blademouth Devourers (Kroot Mercs)

I have found the Kroot's ultimate tankhunter. He's dirt cheap for his abilites, and in my past 3 games slaughtered more than double his points in tanks and infantry. Here's the loadout:

Winged master shaper
Eviscerator
Mark of the Favored Child
Blood of the Stalker OR Veneration Charm
Kroothawk Totem (Optional, but I tend to grab it anyway. It's always worked for me ;D)

Total cost: 118-148

Additionally, I tend to run my army with the Ork Hybrid special rule, which tacks on a few more points.

Anyhow, this model starts the game off anywhere between 17-6 inches away (depending on my dice luck), and with the Kroothawk totem savagely increases the odds of first turn. I've noticed a distinct tendency among my opponents to place armored units along the flanks, so as to provide a solid edge anchor. Going up against Kroot Mercs, they've often expected an assult heavy force to just bull-rush their formation. In reality, I plunk 2-3 large (15+) units of kroot and a hunter kindred just within shooting range, and harrass their units with cheap ranged fire. This forces them to bring their attention to that center, ignoring my relatively small master shaper...who then flies up, and munches a tank. Since they usually are caught off guard, I usually get four full penetrating hits (or at least one on a skimmer), which typically destroys it (though it often anihilates them...but only wounding on a 4+ with a 4+ invo save doesn't worry my shaper too much).

From there he just bounces along the deployment line, chewing his way through tanks and heavy weapons/sniper/Crisis squads with impuny. With an average of 2 tank kills and 8-9 infantry, he always nets me a significant bonus on the battlefield.

[hr]

I have also found the shaper council to be well worth their points cost when accompanied by kroot hounds, and loaded with power weapons and bolt pistols. I run them just behind my kroot hound pack in such a way that my opponent often doesn't realise that those are two separate units. Here's the roster:

Shaper council X5
Hyperactive nymune organs
Powerweapons, bolt pistol, frag grenades
Surefoot charm, Blood of the Stalker
10 Kroot hounds

Total value: 350 points (375 with Ork Hybrid)

This unit has a god-awful number of attacks. 30 charging attacks off the hounds, and 25 POWER WEAPON chaging attacks, 20 default. This unit has chewed through entire space marine tactical AND terminator squads, while only losing maybe 2-3 hounds, and then another unit and another. It lacks a solid defense against shooting, but when it starts 17-6" away from it's target AND fleets 2D6 taking the highest, this is really not a problem. The solid mass of saveless attacks that it can launch against your average unit (or high-cost 2+/3+ armor save models, especially certain heavy weapons units) is darn near unstoppable. This works even better if you can catch normally high initiative units in cover, because the frag grenades allow you to strike simultaneously rather than last. Get attacked by other power weapons/fists? Not a problem, drop a kroot hound and save your shapers from injury. Their relatively high leadership helps them to take a lot of punishment and still hold out. The only real catch-point with this force is that, despite it's sizable 25 wounds, once the hounds are gone the shaper council is no longer a scoring unit, so sometimes if you need to save your model count it's okay to pop a shaper.

Does anyone else have any favorite Shaper configurations, either for the Master, Council, or even just basic squads?
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2007, 11:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Tankmuncher Supreme and the Blademouth Devourers (Kroot Mercs)

nice, i was thinking of addind a shaper and some hunters to my guards force, you just inspired my new rein of evil.

Unfortunately, looking back to the things posted here, I realised I can now do much better :3

Here are my step by step tutorials for ease of use
Dreadnought close combat arms
Ig tanks
Ork PowerKlaw
messyart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2007, 03:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I took a look at my headhunters and decided that a Shaper squad would probably be a better Hound support unit.

I'm looking at this configuration:

Shaper w/ HNO
Eviscerator, Blood of the Stalker, Surefoot charm
Shaper w/ HNO
Plasma Gun, Veneration Charm, Powerweapon
Shaper w/ HNO
Meltagun, Veneration Charm, Powerweapon
Shaper w/ HNO
Meltagun, Veneration Charm, Powerweapon
4 Hounds
330+ points

Hounds work as assault wounds and casualty 'support'. They work well as both an assault unit, and a shooty pillbox (in cover of course). Assistant tank hunters. I might add grenades, and more hounds. Maybe add another Plasmagunner for a very expensive unit!
Old 21 Jul 2007, 01:20   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I Gave My Tankmuncher meltabombs and [move]AssualtaMelta[/move] for that burning metal finish.

Ahh.... I love the smell ofmelted tank in the morning

Slanneesh has the best candy but Tzeench tells You Its Knowledge , Khorne Tells You Its Blood for the Blood God and Nurgle says its lime flavoured
Shasonan is offline   Reply With Quote