Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Questions about Kroot Mercs
Old 27 Apr 2007, 04:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Questions about Kroot Mercs

Ok everyone, I think may be I'll try to start a kroot army. As soon as I'm done with my Tau, and some of its kroot, I want to try a fully functioning merc force.

I've read a codex... I have some questions...

1st for weapons

WTF is a splinter rifle?! Or a pistol for that matter.
Why is there no plasma pistol? (kinda of rhetoric question really)
So I can take two pistols? Thats sounds cool (So can I?)
Does Power weapon gives some boost to wounding? Armor penetration?

2nd Infiltrate rules

It doesn't say anything about "jungle only". Can they always inflitrate when the mission permits that?

3rd Stalker Kindred

Stalker's Kindred... I don't get it?! Are they any use??? I like the modelling style, but what can they give? Is "Ambush" still legal? Thats really a main question...

4th Mutations (adaptations)

Why no one takes "the danger sense" adaptation? It saves from tamplates. And isn't it a greatest weakness? If the squad catches an ordance barrage of str 10, I doubt extra 1 T will save someone... But that one will.

5th Trackers -> They do ride things right? That's going to be one fun modeling project... And they wield kroot hunting rifles? So U telling me, because of the "Natural Scouts" rule and other rules, -> they can be positioned ANYWHERE on the map and if I get the first turn, I can Shoot away? If thats right, then I smell some grilled cheese...

6th Krootox In Tau codex it cost low in points, hear it cost 50!!! WTF? which one is right? Is it even worth it?

7th Hunters -> Can they infiltrate? If so, can they be parked in some good cover at the start of the game???

EDIT: tau krootox points were taken down.

Ok guys I would really appreciate some help... Thanx in advance

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 17:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Questions about Kroot Mercs

1. a) The splinter rifle is the Dark Eldar's basic troops weapon. The stats for it can be found here on the . Just download the reference sheet at that link.
b) I think just for balance issues
c) I can't remember any rule preventing you from taking two pistols... they're all single handed weapons. But you can only fire one during each turn.
d) the rules for power weapons can be found in the rule book on page 46.

2. I think so, the list doesn't say anything about only infiltrating in jungles as far as I can see. And they'd be a pretty narrow army if they could only infiltrate in jungles.

3. I have no idea about this. I've never seen them used. But the punji traps also depend on the catachan codex so I hope that the rules still apply for the kroot's sake.

4. I don't play kroot but from what I see it costs quite a bit for each model and I don't know if it will make its points back unless there are a lot of blast weapons. For 20 kroot with danger sense you can get 25 kroot. Also, I think that people may value the other adaptations a bit more highly. But I'm not sure, this is just what I noticed while scouring the list.

5. I guess they can get pretty much anywhere. You'd have to ask a real kroot player about whether they're cheesy though.

6. The lower one is right if your fielding a tau list but if you want to play as straight kroot mercs or take kroot in any army other than tau then you pay the higher cost. There's also some variation in initiative between the kroot hounds in the tau book and the ones in the merc list. Again, when you use kroot in anything other than tau you use them as they appear in the plain kroot codex. The tau 'dex helped to fix some of the underpowered kroot units, but only for the tau themselves (greedy little blueskins). Oh, and I'd take down those points costs, it's against the rules to post them and I dare not think of what the mods will do to you if you don't .

7. I'm assuming they can infiltrate...the rules don't say anything to indicate otherwise. And from what I hear these guys are some of the best snipers in the game.

Anyways, in conclusion I don't actually play kroot but I do hope that this helps a bit. You'll still probably want to get a real kroot players opinions too though.

EmblazonedMauveGearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 22:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanx mate Easy on Tau, I play em ;D BTW I am glad o finally see the real DE player You are a rare breed mate ;D Just Jk, Thanx for help mate, and yeh about splinter rifles, man I am so dumb, of course they are DE weapons! Damn, I remember.

ABout pistols... Shouldn't they count as Twin linked? It would be stylish, 2 pistols and melta bombs...

I was thinking, after I'll get some tau models done, I'll start kroot and may be DE and Eldar... But anyway...

I see a lot of people using Shaper Council as a monster hunters, I don't get why? They are the only ones that can have 5 plasma rifles... 5! Or meltas. They can be that unit that creams termies and rips vehicles... Frankly If they would be fitted with power weapons, and went VS Carniflex they wouldn't be able to scratch the beast or almost not I think... I though that they better off with Plasma Close combat weapon & Krak grenades...

For monster hunt I wanted to take head hunters, and hunters. They should be awesome to model, and plus for Head Hunter Shaper, I could just give him Either power weapon, Or pistols and a Melta bombs...

Ok I would really like some advise...

P.S. As a side note... I see that some race boards are literally abandoned... why? I guess may be we need more events for those races...

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 23:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_dog
About pistols... Shouldn't they count as Twin linked? It would be stylish, 2 pistols and melta bombs...

I see a lot of people using Shaper Council as a monster hunters, I don't get why? They are the only ones that can have 5 plasma rifles... 5! Or meltas. They can be that unit that creams termies and rips vehicles... Frankly If they would be fitted with power weapons, and went VS a Carnifex they wouldn't be able to scratch the beast or almost not I think... I though that they better off with Plasma, Close combat weapon & Krak grenades...

For monster hunter I wanted to take head hunters, and hunters. They should be awesome to model, and plus for Head Hunter Shaper, I could just give him Either power weapon, Or pistols and a Melta bombs...

Ok I would really like some advise...

P.S. As a side note... I see that some race boards are literally abandoned... why? I guess may be we need more events for those races...
1. They should (that would be awesome) but unfortunately they don't.

2. I don't really know anything about how other armies deal with monsters (I just use my archon) but presumably they wouldn't give them power weapons but eviscerators so that they're str 8, then give them a few hounds to soak up wounds. I think that people do use the shaper council to bust tanks and termies...how can they not with all those available weapons.

3. I looked up headhunters and my first thought was: "wow! those things would be a nasty surprise for a c'tan...they would hit on 4's, wound on 4's and he would save on 4's". I think that they would be a superb monster hunting unit. I'd give him an eviscerator, not only can it bust tanks, it can inta-kill most units, and for only 2 points more than: a bolt pistol, a power weapon and a melta bomb.

EmblazonedMauveGearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2007, 06:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_dog
Ok everyone, I think may be I'll try to start a kroot army. As soon as I'm done with my Tau, and some of its kroot, I want to try a fully functioning merc force.

I've read a codex... I have some questions...

1st for weapons

a) WTF is a splinter rifle?! Or a pistol for that matter.
b) Why is there no plasma pistol? (kinda of rhetoric question really)
c) So I can take two pistols? Thats sounds cool (So can I?)
d) Does Power weapon gives some boost to wounding? Armor penetration?

2nd Infiltrate rules

It doesn't say anything about "jungle only". Can they always inflitrate when the mission permits that?

3rd Stalker Kindred

Stalker's Kindred... I don't get it?! Are they any use??? I like the modelling style, but what can they give? Is "Ambush" still legal? Thats really a main question...

4th Mutations (adaptations)

Why no one takes "the danger sense" adaptation? It saves from tamplates. And isn't it a greatest weakness? If the squad catches an ordance barrage of str 10, I doubt extra 1 T will save someone... But that one will.

5th Trackers -> They do ride things right? That's going to be one fun modeling project... And they wield kroot hunting rifles? So U telling me, because of the "Natural Scouts" rule and other rules, -> they can be positioned ANYWHERE on the map and if I get the first turn, I can Shoot away? If thats right, then I smell some grilled cheese...

6th Krootox In Tau codex it cost low in points, hear it cost 50!!! WTF? which one is right? Is it even worth it?

7th Hunters -> Can they infiltrate? If so, can they be parked in some good cover at the start of the game???

EDIT: tau krootox points were taken down.

Ok guys I would really appreciate some help... Thanx in advance

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!
weapons

a) they are the dark eldar standard weapons.

b) Don't know. Too valuable kit to give to mercenaries.

c) yes but you don't get any benefit

d) No, it just ignores armour saves (read the rule book, power weapons provide no bonus to wound or hit unless specifically noted)

Infiltrate

a) yes of course, again read the rulebook.

Ambush

a) yes, I've posted a link on your over thread.

Signature evolutionary adaptations

a) Because whoever targets a S10 ordnance blast shot at kroot squad would be better off shooting at a knarloc.

Trackers

a) yes but if you infiltrate then move you can't shoot.

Krootox

a) for kroot mercs you MUST use the points cost listed even though it is lower in the Tau codex.

Hunters

a) Yes, yes READ THE RULEBOOK the infiltrate rules are VERY clear.

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Omeganus is offline   Reply With Quote