Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Genestealer cults: The Low Down II
Old 30 Dec 2006, 09:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Genestealer cults: The Low Down II

Well I posted this on the 'nid board; Ok I am wishing to write a bit of 40k fiction during the new year. However my lack of knowledge on Genestealer cults is a slight problem to my plot. Is there any information that you can lend me about organisation, size, methods, secracy, corruption, exploration, survivability, covertness, mutants? yes/no/a few, time to set up, 'big' bugs?...

Or can you point me in the direction of a good website or books for infomation.

...And was told to come here for my answers. So can you lot help me with the full description, scale and design of a genestealer cult?

Thanks in advance,
Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2006, 14:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Genestealer cults: The Low Down II

It largely depends upon the society the cult grows up in - perhaps you could give us a little more information on this?

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2006, 15:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ok, small Imperail backwater Human population 4 million, single small continant of 3000km. Jungle climate.

Society: Imperail, but Tau friendly. Locals mainly employed in the primary and secondary industries. Everybody works long and hard. Not much time off. One central city on the planet. About the size of greater London.

I would like to know about a cults organisation e.g. big boss though mid boss to small boss etc. Or is it one big hive alltogether. How big would a covert cult get, and how covert could it be. What exactly would the cult do, and would they get into local governments. Any 'big bugs' in a cult or just Gegestealers and their kin? As for time about 4-5 generations I have been told is this correct?

Genmotty
Old 30 Dec 2006, 15:59   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I will attempt to summarise a typical Genestealer Cult invasion in stages...

Stage 1: Genestealers enter the world in secret. They locate potential prey, and infect them. Genestealers have an Oviposter; an organ in their tongue that inserts an "egg" into the victim. This "egg" re-writes the DNA of the victim, giving them superior speed, strength and intelligence, as well as prolonging their life.

When this victim mates, their offspring will be 1st Generation Hybrids. The Hybrid is born with hypnotic ability, which ensures the parents do not kill it outright. The Hybrid will remain hidden until such time as they themselves can infect a host.

Stage 2: Once a 1st Generation Hybrid infects a new host, they will give birth to 2nd Generation Hybrids. These Hybrids are more akin to the host-species, but still clearly alien. These will, in turn, infect more hosts, creating 3rd Generation Hybrids (few Genestealer Traits remain). Finally, these will infect again, creating a 4th Generation Hybrid. These are virtually identical, externally at least, to the host species. 4th Generation Hybrids mate as normal for their species, and possess the hypnotic abilities of the Genestealer.

During this time, the rest of the Genestealers will begin forming a Cult. They will find somewhere secretive, safe from prying eyes, and begin gathering strength. The original Genestealer begins to grow, becoming a Patriarch. Though he loses much of his agility and mobility, he begins to develop Psychic Powers*.

* = 4th Edition Note: Due to the release of the "Broodlord", it is possible that the "Patriarch" Genestealer would develop into this creature instead. Alternatively, the Broodlord may be a middle-stage, or even an alternate altogether; the Broodlord is not Psychic, whereas the Patriarch is.

Stage 3: Once 4th Generation Hybrids appear, they begin working their way into positions of power. Brood-Brothers, human siblings or parents of the Hybrids, will also seek to gain control in this way. Over time, the Cult can quickly put itself in a position of significant social power. If a 4th Generation Hybrid mates, their offspring will either be Purestrain Genestealers, or Purestrain Hosts.

The 4th Generation Hybrids are also often Psykers, and the most powerful of these will take the role of Magus; a sort of advisor to the Patriarch. It is at this time the Cult will usually begin to appear as a religion, inducting new hosts for the Cult.

Stage 4: Now powerful, and deeply-rooted in their victim's culture, the Cult awaits the coming of the Tyranids. All Genestealers and Hybrids emit a psychic signal that draws the Tyranids to new prey, and so the larger the Cult, the stronger the call. When the Tyranids close in, the Cult will strike. Using its power and position, it will arrange mass rioting, and seek to cause as much damage as possible to the world's ability to resist. Even if the Cult is defeated, the damage caused can be enough to ensure the coming Tyranids cannot be stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2006, 10:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Thanks alot Wargamer.

Anything to the size a cult gets to in numbers? Just 30-90 cultists or can it be more?

"Using its power and position, it will arrange mass rioting, and seek to cause as much damage as possible to the world's ability to resist." Would the cult use its power directly for this, or would the rioting and civil breakdown be caused through intermediates, i.e. corrupted local government. Plus would the cult break its covert status at this time?

Thanks,
Genmotty
Old 05 Jan 2007, 02:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I used to have a really nice pdf codex genestealer cults complete with models and stuff i'll look for it I think it might have been in a white dwarf or second edition book but it was chapter aproved
kingofmonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2007, 07:29   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
Anything to the size a cult gets to in numbers? Just 30-90 cultists or can it be more?
Could be a hundred, could be a million, it just depends how strong they got.

Quote:
"Using its power and position, it will arrange mass rioting, and seek to cause as much damage as possible to the world's ability to resist." Would the cult use its power directly for this, or would the rioting and civil breakdown be caused through intermediates, i.e. corrupted local government. Plus would the cult break its covert status at this time?
The Cult does not make itself public until there is no other choice; to do so would allow it to be uprooted. They will seek to remain covert as much as they can, ensuring little if anything can be attributed to them. However, as they begin to grow powerful, they will slowly appear into the mainstay society, usually as a religious Cult, political power or other such.

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 10 Jan 2007, 14:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
However, as they begin to grow powerful, they will slowly appear into the mainstay society, usually as a religious Cult, political power or other such.
Also, to throw off suspicion, if it does appear as a cult it will outwardly seem to be a cult of the Emperor, for obvious reasons.

As to the size, well, there are recorded instances of the Deathwatch going in to eliminate a cult, only for an entire hive city to rise up against them. So basically the size of the cult can reach billions, depending on the planet's population size.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2007, 10:45   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to sergeantmkoll

Stealer cults generally worship the emperor as a being with four arms and chitinous armour on his body. Then when devotees of the cult see the patriarch stealer by accident they think its a manifestation of the emperor. When the inquisition comes do the destroy the cult, the cult members think the forces of chaos are attacking and try to defend thei 'emperor'.
Old 12 Jan 2007, 10:46   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Utterly false.

Genestealer Cults worship their own dieties, usually revolving around similar central themes; their "god" comes from the stars, will destroy the unbelievers, and will embrace them, making the faithful one with itself.

Some Cults may embrace the powers of Chaos to further their means, in which case they will worship the Dark Gods. However, due to the massive relience of the Genestealer, they rarely if ever become slaves to the Chaos Gods; they remain in total control, and can sever the "bond" willingly should it become necessary.

Quote: