Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting new army: Harlequins
Closed Thread
Old 04 Sep 2006, 05:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to kreative
Default Starting new army: Harlequins

So I've decided to make a small harlequin army. Though I was just wondering a few things, and they are:

1) Is their any tips/pointers I should know when making my army list(s).

2) Would I be able to use normal eldar models, like scorpions and storm guardians, just painted differently? Like this:

Note: I know the pictures are of bad quality, and the models are still WIP, I'm not posting in the showcase right now, just giving you guys a general idea of what I mean, so please do not comment on poor picture quality or the fact that theirs gems missing, eyes not done, ect.

Thanks in advance (I hope )

Thanks to timjim for the great banner!
Old 04 Sep 2006, 20:36   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Starting new army: Harlequins

I admire your ingenuity, but I say see if you can find some affordable Harly models as they really are beautiful and lend themselves to much investment of time and skill. I've been painting my 17 yr old figs. Don't know how I convinced myself to keep them for so long other than the real beauty (and fear they might never make them again.)

You can still order them from GW (if you have a local store, support them by ordering through them, and they'll answer any problems faster anyway.) I find lots of them for fair prices on ebay.

I would say Scorpions are a good substitute as most Harlequin are carrying a CC weapon and a pistol, but Banshees are GREAT because they actually wear a mask (which is an idea I think borrowed from Harlequin) and Dark Reapers (which is FOR SURE borrowed from Harlequin) as Death Jesters. You see, Harlequin models actually came out before A) there were rules for them and B) before the Eldar army had Aspect Warriors (at least as fully fleshed out.)

There will be official rules in the new Codex. But my I hope is that they'll be allowing an army of Harlequin, rather than just an elites choice. Of course, you and I could both just field armies PAINTED like Harlequin, but run like regular Eldar...perhaps they have become followers of the Laughing God...Hm...
Old 04 Sep 2006, 20:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks Solitaire

Mhmm, I tryed ordering through gw once, they didn't have any of the great harliquin.. so I jsut gave up, I'll have to check the rest of them as I love the models very much, and when I get money I'll keep an eye on ebay.

I do have anouther question though:

Even when the new rules are out, would you still beable to use the old rules with your opponents permission?

If not, I will just play a normal eldar army painted like harlequins. Wow, that's going to be hard thinking of all those distinct colour schemes for each model.

Old 04 Sep 2006, 22:08   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I don't know about the rules part, but two points to remember:

1.) Old rules for Harlequins + 4th Ed. = overpriced Harlequin in points. So you'll be playing at a handicap. I've seen all kinds of chatter over the last month some stating Harlequin fight okay, others pointing out how over valued in 4th Ed., and everything in between. As long as you're having fun, though, who cares?

2.) You and your friends can do whatever the eff you want, eh? Unless it's a sanctioned tournament of some kind, play whatever rules you find fair. I've even some some CRAZY codex a group of folks came up with to fully flesh out Harlequin armies. I actually think it's gone WAY over board adding so much to them, it takes away their mystery and just makes them TOO wacky.

Remember when looking up Harlequin on the GW site that the "High Avatar" is the original name for the "Great Harlequin" etc. "High Warlock" is the original name for "Shadowseer." There are also "Warlock" models for the Harlequin, but I use them as Troupe Leaders as they tend to have tougher weapons and stances. The Solitaire is always the same as s/he should be. I pray they put the Solitaire in the new codex, or release rules in a White Dwarf to force me to buy it....something.

If you have a local GW shop, they'll have a "Classics" line catalogue to order from, you'll find all the Harlequin models (including the Jetbike stuff) in there. If you don't find it or want examples, I'll send you the list I made.

And yes, painting a WHOLE normal sized army just like I am painting my actual Harlequin troupe would take FOR-EV-ER. But giving the "aspiring" Harlequin just a colorful theme is a real possibility. Not every warrior could get the same "personality level" of painting that each Harlequin receives, but along the lines of what you have done with your Scorpions might be fantastic. Hope you don't mind if I try some of your colors out.
Old 05 Sep 2006, 00:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Mhmm, over priced harlequins, whatever, it's for fun. If the other person doesn't want to play with the old rules I'll just remind them of this.

Yea about ordering that model, I used the classical cataloge, and some of them you can't order anymore. But I only checked one, I'll go down to my local gw in a few minutes and ask about the others. 8)

Meh, I'm up for a painting challenge, makes me want to do the army even more.

Also, I definatly don't mind if you use the colours; I'm glad someone likes them already.

Old 05 Sep 2006, 23:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

dude you have been promoted to cool....harlequins rock!
Old 27 Sep 2006, 04:25   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Joker_Of_Hearts

Thats not what you say to me when you play me. :P

Harlequins are an awesome force to play. Especially if you like painting because they can provide hours of thought into one model, plus hours of painting into one model.... I should really start painting mine again. I wonder what the new Eldar DEX has done to them.

Old 27 Sep 2006, 04:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yea, the new codex is not doign what I want it to do for Harlequins from what I'm hearing/seeing. I don't really like the new models, to.. idk, they just don't work for me. And it doesn't really look like you can have a force based on them.

Well, even with the new codex out, if you can't have a harlequin only army, I might still use the old rules and ask my opponents permission. I just like the old rules so much, seams like a challenge to play with them.

Progress on my harlequins incase anyones curious, I painted up a squad and going to use them as allies in a game on monday, see how I like them, then seriously get into collecting them.

Old 27 Sep 2006, 13:10   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I still play with the 3rd Edition EO Harlequin Codex. I have no intention of doing anything else.

The reason I like that particular list is it makes Harlequins seriously deadly in combat, particularly on the charge. However, they aren't invincible... not quite. Tough enough, however, to make anyone who isn't prepared weep.

I must take the 'Quins out for another bounce sometime...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 28 Sep 2006, 18:24   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

dude put some pics up! Also one thing I've found is harlequins pwn weaker mobs like IG and small squads of decently tough things. I'd like to do harlequins but too expensive and too many rules :P