Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tips on Successful and Safe Trading and Selling
Old 07 Oct 2006, 18:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to alcibiates Send a message via MSN to alcibiates
Default Tips on Successful and Safe Trading and Selling

I assume everybody's going to be a little scared of making a trade, so here are a few tips:

First off, we talk about money:

Sending cash through the mail is pretty stupid. If you can't get access to any other method, go to your mail office and ask for a money order. It's like cash, but you can track it. As soon as you send cash off in the mail it's gone. You may never see it again. Whenever someone cashes a money order, you can know when and where and under what name. It allows for a great deal more security than available otherwise if you don't have an account on one of the big payment sites.

Paypal is the site I'm most familiar with(and probably most of you) it's a pretty good site especially because you can freeze payments if something starts going wrong. IE: if it's been a two weeks and your stuff ain't there yet, you can freeze the payment and the other guy can't touch the money. Don't abuse this, though, because it brings attention to yourself and the other guy.

If you're not old enough to know about much of this, talk to your parents (hence why you have be 18 or have parent permission) and just don't do anything stuipd, because we can't be held responsible for it.

Ebay
Ebay is nice, but it's not an end all be all. They can't do too much if someone goes on there with a fresh account and does something absurdly stupid. Yes, they can help you, and it's quite useful to list an auction with a buy-it-now and do the trade that way. I would recommend it, as it is quite nice to have a paper proof (outside of a forum) to help you if something happens to go wrong.

Packing models:
I don't think this goes much for the older guys, but if your mom comes over and tries to start packing your stuff for you, stop her. Please. most parents don't understand how fragile this stuff is (Or how little the postal service cares about what's in it) Make sure you package everything nicely so that stuff doesn't get broken, esp. if you ship from across an ocean or something

Shipping:
I'm not too familiar with inter-continental shipping, but for people in the United States, please use USPS. They're the best by far. You can get whatever you need (Shipment tracking, delivery comfirmation(someone has to sign something before they can get the package, and (most importantly!) insurance on your package. If you send a bunch of models worth 500$, and they break it, you can make them pay for it! It costs a bit, but it's really worth it) Now, they are a bit more expensive, but it's completely worth it. Getting a shipment somewhere in 2-3 days SAFELY versus it taking two weeks is well worth the price. You can also get free boxes from them if you ship with them(i think, not sure if you can anymore, I know you could at one point in time)

Fore-warning: If you don't pay for good shipment over oceans, it can take weeks(maybe months) for your stuff to get to you. Try to make deals with people that live on the same continent (preferably country, but shipment to/from Canada isn't too bad. Just some tariffs to pay)

Quick note: In cash exchanges, buyer pays for shipping In model exchanges, y'all can work out something on the shipping. Most likely both pay for whatever box you're shipping to make it easy.

Just as an overall rule: Don't do anything stupid. If a deal sounds fishy, don't do it. It's simple. The easiest rule in life to remember is "If it sounds too good to be true; it probably is." abide by it. I would really really hate to shut this down because people get scammed. We can work to prosecute them, but it doesn't always work, especially in inter-continental trades.

If anybody else has any tips/ideas, post 'em up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveMined
...Huh? What the crap?
alcibiates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2006, 11:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: How to have a safe trade

Might it be worth mentioning for international postage that some countries are really poor for postage.
When I was in Italy even First class (or equiv. of) would take weeks to come, even if you were sending from inside the country. Thus it might be worth speaking to the sender or recipient for postage times.
Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2006, 16:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I intended to get something up specific for international trades, however, I lack much experience in it, so I'm waiting for other people to offer information :P
Quote:
...Huh? What the crap?
Old 09 Oct 2006, 02:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

[size=14pt]~International Post Tips~[/size]

Customs - The 2nd most critical aspect of shipping something internationally. Things that you send to international locations will require you to fill out a customs slip (it's going to be a box, so hardly sly enough to bypass customs). When you fill out the customs form, pay very close attention to what you mark it as. Typically you want to mark it as a "Gift." This is important because if it's not, it's very possible that the person you're sending the package to will end up paying fees on the item based on what it's worth. Next up, you have to mark what the item is, describe it and give an estimated worth/value to the contents. This is another big place to make a mistake. If you mark it as worth $1,000 for example, your friend overseas is going to have to pay a huge fee possibly to get their package. Even marked as a gift, something worth too much will end up having fees attached. Sometimes there are not, but it's more common that you'll have fees if you have a high value marked on the package. This is especially important regarding electronics (which sometimes have a separate fee/tax all together in some countries). Discuss this with your trading partner. And remember, to try to mark it as a gift and keep the worth of the box relatively low if possible (less than $40 or so typically).

*It's a good idea to look up the customs information for country/province/state, etc, that you're sending something to. Sometimes, things are taxed no matter what (an example like electronics). And sometimes, you can send a restricted amount of something without paying duties. The fastest way to find out is literally to google it. For example, let's say I want to send something to Germany. I go to google and I type "customs germany post" and the first link takes me to information regarding customs and duties to germany via mail. I just learned that if the value of the package does not exceed 45 Euros, then it's duty free (ie: no one pays extra, good). Anything over that amount, marked on value for customs forms, would cause the receiver to have to pay duty fees to receive that package. Be smart--educate yourself on the customs and duties before even thinking about sending something. Talk to your parter about this.

*Just to rehash as this cannot be stressed enough: The higher you put the value on the customs form of what you're sending, the more money your partner may have to spend to even get their package. This money doesn't apply to anything either. It's a duty fee for sending valuable items into a country. I'm telling you frankly: keep that value about $40 no matter the currency on the custom form for "worth/value" as a general rule of thumb. Even if the stuff inside is worth $1,000. Don't write anymore than about $40 generally. And mark it as a gift--always.

Note from Alcibiates: I disagree with this. Discuss it with your partner, as if you are shipping a full army that could easily be worth 500$, your partner may find it worthy to mark it for full value. If you mark it for 40$ value gift and it gets lost, that means they will only re-emberse you for 40$, and leave the receiver 460$ in the hole, and that's not cool. Talk it over with your trade partner before doing this on your own. Remember, this is a trade involving two people, and decisions should be made between you both, not by one person alone.

Insurance - Insurance is pretty important. When you send international, you go through a lot of location changes and through lots of package handling. Lots of things end up getting squishy, thrown around, etc. If your contents of the package are not packaged very well, there's a good chance they'll be broken, from sheer vibration unless you have it filled with something to absorb that kind of motion. Insurance is how you cover your butt. If you send something to someone and it shows up broken, you got your "trade" but your partner got a box of broken stuff. Very not cool. Insurance usually doesn't cost very much (a couple dollars). If you send international, insure it unless you really really don't care and your partner doesn't care. Definitely discuss this and look up the rates before doing it. Insure it for whatever amount you two agree upon.

Shipping Method - Never ship commercially if you can help it. It will just cost more in the end. For example, instead of going FedEx or something, try using your normal post office. Use standard methods; the cheapest. The cost is going to be by weight and destination. Depending what method you use, this can be dramatically more expensive if you have a heavy package. So make a point of keeping this option as low as possible. Discuss the rates with your trading partner. Typically they will be paying the shipping to get your goods (or vise verse), and unless they're very impatient and willing to shell out a lot of extra cash to have something in a few days, as opposed to a week or two, you'll want to take the cheaper methods. Just ask your post provider for the cheapest options. If you can weigh it yourself, you can typically get estimates over the telephone before even going there.

*Always call in advance and get as much information as possible. You can find out from source, weight and destination with various shipping methods the estimated times to send the package. Get this information before ever trying to sent. Get your cost estimation while you're at it.

Payment - If you're doing an equal trade of goods, then simply be fair and send your package well, and make sure your partner has good information for sending their package to you. If you're dealing in money, I highly recommend Paypal. In fact, I wouldn't suggest you use anything else. Paypal is safe and it doesn't require a credit card either (though you certainly can use your credit card). You can setup Paypal to function with eChecks based on your bank account and checking accounts. You can send someone an eCheck via Paypal and avoid credit cards all together. It takes a little bit longer to clear on their end, so be warned. The reason Paypal is great is because if something goes sour, you can contact Paypal to halt the transfer of your funds if its within a certain time period. This helps keep you from being frauded if you find out too late. Sending paper through the mail to someone is a quick way to having it damaged, lost or literally just stolen. Try to use electronic payment methods. Do not use collection services; they're typically always scams and frauds (ie: a third party company is payed and wires the money for you and someone picks it up; internationally, this is one of the popular scam/frauds; just don't do it).

Cheers! And be safe!
Old 09 Oct 2006, 02:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks, Mal. Just added a note, but seems good otherwise.

Just to say this one more time:

Talk about stuff with your trade partner! This is about communication and making everybody happy!
Quote:
...Huh? What the crap?
Old 10 Oct 2006, 03:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hopefully this helps too:

Box Sizes: THis cannot be stressed enough. NEVER, EVER, EVER use boxes from home. Unless they are from your post office/shipper, they will charge you arms and legs for shipping it. Always use THEIR boxes/evolopes to send stuff. A good example is when I sent a Necron Warrior to my friend in this little box that I found in my closet. Canada Post charge me $9CDN because it wasn't a Canada Post stardard box. So watch out!
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2006, 01:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer Zero
Hopefully this helps too:

Box Sizes: THis cannot be stressed enough. NEVER, EVER, EVER use boxes from home. Unless they are from your post office/shipper, they will charge you arms and legs for shipping it. Always use THEIR boxes/evolopes to send stuff. A good example is when I sent a Necron Warrior to my friend in this little box that I found in my closet. Canada Post charge me $9CDN because it wasn't a Canada Post stardard box. So watch out!
Thats strange, I always used left over warhammer boxes to ship them in (with lots of padding!!!! and i mean lots!) and they never charged me an arm and a leg.....

Ender
"Strive For Perfection
And Strike With Precision
Soon It Blows Up In Your Face
And The Smoke Blurs Your Vision"
-Mushroomhead

Formerly Andrew "Ender" Wiggen.
Deaths_Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2006, 03:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH40K@1
Although the trading board is nice, I think it should be removed because of all of the people trying to scam respected members
The Trading Board hasn't had a single scam yet. And it's been running for a good month or so as of currently.

List of but a few people with successful trades thus far.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
ToastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2008, 09:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

You take a risk nowadays with the internet.

But the best duty is, to see how other people felt when they traded with them. Match this with the price and understand what it could cost you.

then take into account how openly they can be found. Hard to find? dont bother.

Make the transaction documentable. Make it easy to trace. But remember in good amount of cases, problems will be considered civil not legal.

Warhammer items are tricky individually but easy by the sprue or box, if need be get a smaller box, pack it tightly with foam and bubble wrap. Then place that in another box. Youll thank me if you send it over seas, the damn planes and boats always seem to dent boxes. At least youll have two layers here.

pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2008, 21:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

This may be usefull to someone so ill throw it up.

If you are planning to ship internationally, UPS has a great system that is updated constantly to what is allowed and what documentation is needed from shipping from country X to country Y.

You can call them up get the information you need and ship another way. I know that seems a bit shady, their website also offers a good deal of knowledge of what you need for a smooth transition to clear customs. The international team for UPS is able to walk you through how to fill out the customs documents (Generally 2 copies of an invoice and a contents list.) Also as an added feature, if anything was filled out incorrectly and is held up in customs in the recipients country, they have a International Resolution Group who can assist you in getting what they need to clear the package through customs.

As was mentioned above, If you document the shipment as a gift in some countries the recipient will not have to pay Duties or Taxes. Each country has different limits as to what could be considered a "gift." So you will want to check to see if the value of your items would be still considered a gift, or if D&T would still be applied.

I used to work for the UPS international team which is why I know their procedures and systems, thought I would try and pass on what I remember from a few years ago.