Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Raven Guard: A Comprehensive History
Old 08 Mar 2008, 10:43   #31 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to pettsy
Default Re: Raven Guard: A Comprehensive History

A very interesting read. Thanks for sharing Vash.

Any chance there will be an Imperial Fist version soon? Unless you've already done one and I've missed it.

~Pettsy~

"It matters not what form my enemy takes, I will slay him all the same" - Grand Master Daedelus

We are ever-living, our spirit is immortal, and long after the last of our people crumbles to dust we shall still live on. For we are the Asur and for as long as there is light then we will shine!
pettsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2008, 21:58   #32 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettsy
A very interesting read. Thanks for sharing Vash.

Any chance there will be an Imperial Fist version soon? Unless you've already done one and I've missed it.

~Pettsy~
Perhaps, I don't see why not, I just need to gather the research once I return to campus from Spring Break next week... perhaps I'll do that...

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2008, 23:52   #33 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to pettsy

Hey,

If you need any help then all you need do is ask. I'd love to contribute to something like this, especially for my favourite Chapter.

~Pettsy~

"It matters not what form my enemy takes, I will slay him all the same" - Grand Master Daedelus

We are ever-living, our spirit is immortal, and long after the last of our people crumbles to dust we shall still live on. For we are the Asur and for as long as there is light then we will shine!
pettsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Mar 2008, 00:21   #34 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettsy
Hey,

If you need any help then all you need do is ask. I'd love to contribute to something like this, especially for my favourite Chapter.

~Pettsy~
That would be appreciated, I can probably dig up quite a few references but I must admit I'm mostly ignorant of the older Imperial Fluff material, particularly the Iron Cage incident which I haven't found too much about though it's referenced in many places. Any reference materials you can alert me about or provide paraphrased summaries of would be great.

Old 25 Mar 2008, 05:51   #35 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

With Shrike, why is it that he has a white helmet and Lightning Claws? Is it because he's a veteran/leader or down to personal choice?

I am painting up a test model to see if I like the look of Raven Guard (love the background) but so far the limited colours and the amount of black makes them appear dull and boring. I was wondering whether it's possible to add some extra colour in details, such as Company markings on knee pads or such?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2008, 03:59   #36 (permalink)
Shas'O

Of course, the Raven Guard have no official set of veteran markings or any such thing. Shrike's markings are pretty much personal taste and there are examples of variations with Captain Solari and other Veterans shown in artwork. Plus with no real deffinitive statement on squad and company markings, and with the codex dictates suggesting regular change in such things you can do pretty much anything you want.

Plus despite being all black the common idea that it makes the scheme dull and boring I find rather unfounded. Just as hot pink and green don't make a scheme interresting, black isn't necessarily a bad thing either. With the different color trim on the right shoulder pads for squads (red=assault, green=tactical, yellow=devastator), and then whatever you do to mark company and unit designations, not to mention any scrollwork, personalization, campaign markings and so forth, you can make a pretty interresting and characterful scheme.

Old 26 Mar 2008, 05:22   #37 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

Yes but at least Green is a bit more colourfull (and even then a pure green army is boring to look at). Mostly black models just look dark and the shoulder trim gets lost in the mix. Because other than that, they have a small logo of white on their shoulders and some silver trim. I don't mind the main colour being black, I was just wondering how much leeway one has to add in a couple of extra colours on kneepads etc. to break up the blackness a little, even considering colouring helmets or white fists (like Shrike has white claws).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2008, 19:31   #38 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal585
Yes but at least Green is a bit more colourfull (and even then a pure green army is boring to look at). Mostly black models just look dark and the shoulder trim gets lost in the mix.
Unless the paint job is horrible I don't tend to see black armies that way. Ulthwe, Black Legion, Black Templars etc, all have mostly black color schemes for their armor and still they can be pulled off just fine, as can the Raven Guard. Colourfullness doesn't necessarily make a scheme look good, especially if it's not done well, it can just look sloppy. But a good matt black is very easy to pull off and also pretty easy to highlight. It's hard to do black badly unless you really put on too much paint.

Quote:
Because other than that, they have a small logo of white on their shoulders and some silver trim. I don't mind the main colour being black, I was just wondering how much leeway one has to add in a couple of extra colours on kneepads etc. to break up the blackness a little, even considering colouring helmets or white fists (like Shrike has white claws).
You have pretty much unlimited leeway, some Veteran pictures show even whole arms painted white to designate their veteran status. Some pictures show the shoulder pads painted white and the Raven Guard symbol painted in black.

Personally I didn't so much as add extra colors as just spread the pallet out a bit. I added scrollwork to many of the armored plates of the Marines, painted one kneepad white and put unit numbers on the white kneepads in black. You don't have to add more colors or even do a lot of work. Highlights can effectively set off the black. Purity Seals, Campaign markings, scrollwork, badges and unit markings, kill counts and so on, are all good things to use to break up the solid colors of pretty much any scheme. I do the same thing on my Ultramarines and even my Imperial Fists. Any color can get monotonous over lots of models, breaking up armor segments with details and personalized touches adds a lot to the scheme and the army in general.