Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hi, I'm BugHunter and I'd love to know how to beat the Nids!
Closed Thread
Old 08 Sep 2005, 00:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to BugHunter65 Send a message via Yahoo to BugHunter65
Default Hi, I'm BugHunter and I'd love to know how to beat the Nids!

HI, I just registered. I'm BugHunter, a 32-year-old insurance claims adjuster who's been playing RPGs since the first (very cheesy) verison of D&D, and got into the miniature games with D&D and Battletech, and I got introduced by the my brother shortly before he was taken over by the Hive Mind. I started with Imperial Guard, and have about 100 infantry, about 20 of which are Catachan Deathworld conversions. I've also got Ogryns, an Inquisitor in Terminator armor and some psyker backup, a Leman Russ, a Demolisher, a Chimera, a Basilisk, and a converted scratch-built command vehicle with a Gatling Multilaser made under VDRs that we put together from Bitz and a LAV-25 model. Oh yeah, and about five or six of each kind of heavy weapon crew. In other words, LOTS of Guard. The biggest game I played with them was 3500 pts on a side, and took 7 hours. I lost. Tyranids. Then I got some Chaos Marines because I was sick of watching my huge masses of troops slaughtered in close combat, gave them a converted flying Demon Prince and a Lord of Change to lead the fight, played a 2000 pt game and once again, lost. Tyranids. So along came the Tau models - what more could an Anime fan want? Battloids in 40K! So onto Ebay I went again, and now I've got a 2500 point Tau/Kroot army. And several agonizing games later, still not one win against those #@%& Nids!!! Every time I think I've got the upper hand, they rewrite the rules and come out with something like a Broodlord or DracoTyrant to ruin my day! So yesterday I watched 9 Crisis suits, 3 Broadsides, 24 Fire Warriors, 5 Steath suits, Aun'shi, and 20 Kroot get eaten by masses of hypogaunts, termagaunts, raveners, flying Warriors, rippers, and that stinking Broodlord and his Stealer Retinue. So, in the name of the Greater Good, does anyone know how to win against the Bugs? I've even double-teamed the Nids by making a temporary alliance with a friend's Renegade Guard army and their tanks and STILL the bugs made a meal of us. I'm almost ready to cry! I've got a Hammerhead on the way to try something new - hoping that submunition template will take out a brood or two.

Oh yeah, and I must say I'd appreciate if people posting here would stick to 4th edition rules - I tried a few tactics from another TO forum topic and turned out it only worked with 3rd edition rules, something I found out when the Nids assaulted one team and consolidated into the next without me getting to shoot at them like the post suggested. That'll teach me not to read the new rules.

I need to enslave a daemon to paint my army for me
Old 08 Sep 2005, 01:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to RedMagnus
Default Re: Hi, I'm BugHunter and I'd love to know how to beat the Nids!

Lovely synopsis there, Bughunter.
I'm Magnus the Red, your local Thousand Sons enthusiast. For tips on beating bugs, I'd choose which army you'll be using against them and then post a topic qustion in the appropriate board, unless you foundd one thats not too old which addresses your question (and sticks to 4th edition new-Nid-codex rules )
I hope you'll find our community friendly and helpful.
Welcome to Tau Online, and happy posting![sup](c)Magnus the Red 2005[/sup]

Yeah, I play WoW. So sue me.
Old 08 Sep 2005, 10:11   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

All that stuff but no Orks.....

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 08 Sep 2005, 23:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: Somewhere cliché, like... behind you, or in your room maybe. I don't know.

Beating 'nids takes patience. All you have to do is repeatedly play them, trying different strategies and tactics each time. Eventually you won't lose against them (unless facing a partically skilled player). It will become a heck of a lot easier when Codex: Tau Empire (new tau codex) arrives in April. The Vespid models should be more than a match for 'stealers (although all we have is a GW sketch and a name for the time being). And remember: Mech Tau is more intimidating than Static Tau.

Oh, and welcome to TO!

If you read this sentince, it will tell you nothing.
Old 08 Sep 2005, 23:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to BugHunter65 Send a message via Yahoo to BugHunter65

I agree, mobility is HUGE when playing against critters that can move 12-18" and then assault another six! As soon as I get a little more "spare" money my next purchase is absolutely a Devilfish. To add insult to injury, my younger brother just beat my older brother's Tyranids this morning, playing the exact same scenario as I lost with. And he did it with Dark Eldar of all things. Of course, lots of Raiders, Jetbikes (including a VDR conversion with something like 4 nasty guns on it and a terrorfex for good measure), and those dudes on the evil flying surfboards that look like cousins of the Green Goblin from Batman. Half his army is mounted and FAST, or has jump packs, and the rest have combat drugs and god knows what else to stick it to you in close combat. He still hasn't told me how he took out a brood of 12 genestealers led by a broodlord!

Hadn't heard about the new Tau stuff that you mentioned - have to check the Rumors later . . .

I need to enslave a daemon to paint my army for me
Old 09 Sep 2005, 00:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

[glow=red,2,300]Welcome[/glow]
[glow=orange,2,300]to[/glow]
[glow=yellow,2,300]Tau[/glow]
[glow=green,2,300]Online[/glow]
[glow=blue,2,300]!!![/glow]
[glow=indigo,2,300]Happy[/glow]
[glow=violet,2,300]posting[/glow]