Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Old 14 Aug 2008, 20:16   #1 (permalink)
Uri
Kroot Warrior

Default Newbie

Well just started a week ago and have quiet an army (An old tau player sold his small box full for 80 plus 2 fish a hammerhead and there fast skimmer) and as of yet I havn't won a single player game, two losses to nids, one to sisters and a draw against dark angels. weird thing is the two allied battles i have had i have won so any advice on one on one battles (against nids espesh) i would love to hear them. I ain't giving up on these guys and know in time i will get to know them (Sooner hopfully, I am the only tau player I know of)
Uri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2008, 23:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Skeith
Default Re: Newbie

before i start, you need to have you codex handy.

well if your main enemy is going to be nids then your going to have to equip your tau for long distance shooting, trust me, tau are useless in combat (unless used by a very skilled tactician).

Arm all you fire warriors with pulse rifles, in my experience against nids you need all the troops you can get so split your fire warriors into as small and as many teams as possible (max of six teams with a min of 6 warriors per team). this will give you the opportunity to fire at multiple targets and shoot support fire if teams need it.

Arm you hammer with a rail gun, and any upgrades that improve BS (with the new rulebook this is pivotal now for shooting things) and upgrades such as disruption pods and flechette dischargers as these will make it harder for your enemy to shoot at and assault your hammer.

if you have any battlesuits I'd suggest arming them with burst cannons, missile pods and a Multi-tracker.

I am sure another member will correct me on this set up but them is the brakes.

Without a detailed list of what you have that is as best advice I can give you.
Skeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2008, 10:26   #3 (permalink)
Uri
Kroot Warrior

ok here goes...

45 fire warriors
45 kroot
1 krootox
9 kroot hounds
4 crisis suits
2 broadsides (Might have three soon)
1 hammer head
2 devil fish
1 piranha
8 pathfinders (two or three with pulse rifles)
6 or 7 stealth suits with a marker drone
1 ethereal
1 sniper spotter and two drones

All the FW's have pulse rifles. That is my entire list (One or two units weren't mentioned due to repairs that need to be made to them but I did buy them second hand)

I have tried to play mobile tau and it doesn't work for me. The boards seem to small but to be honest I think its just me. So any ideas to try with mobile or static would be great
Old 16 Aug 2008, 12:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Skeith

As your fire warriors are all armed with pulse rifles you need to keep them stationary and seperate. to fill your 6 troop slots you could have 3 teams of 7 and 3 teams of 8 Fire Warriors.

As you also have kroot you could use them for close combat so you need 2 squads of 17 kroot, 1 with the kootox and 4 hounds the other with 20 kroot with remaining hounds and you can then use the remaining kroot as sentries.

make you broadsides a 2-suit team.

you need to use 1 evilfish with your pathfinders. the other could be used with one of the fire warrior teams.

for raw power i'd arm the hammer head with the rail gun.

use you piranha to flank enemies, this is a great tactic against mehanised armies and can cause a fair bit of damage to nid armies.

split you stalths into two teams the bigger with the marker drone. i'd advise arming at least one stealth with a fusion blaster in either team.

you ethereal needs to be kept way away from the enemy as his presence alone can sway a ombat in your favour. if you want, give hime a team of fire warriors as a retinue thus making him last longer.

you sniper drones and spotter are no use until you get a third drone.

hope this helps.
Skeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2008, 19:33   #5 (permalink)
Uri
Kroot Warrior

it does a little. Just trying to write a static tau list for them and have no clue what to have for a 1000 point game