Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Salutations
Old 03 Jun 2008, 20:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect
Default Salutations

Hail and well met, fellow Tau Online forumites.

I just recently (within the last month or two) got introduced to Warhammer 40k, and let me tell you I took to it like a fish to water, psychologically at least - Having played 4 games, two of which were more introductory pseudo-games than competitive, I'm afraid my tactics and army lists are almost entirely theory and math-based.

I come from a land of underground caverns and monstrous flying lizards (perhaps better known colloquially as "Dungeons and Dragons," I imagine), so the technological bent on the flavor for this universe is a breathe of (atomized corpse-esque) fresh air. The mathematics is comparatively simpler, though the fractions aren't nearly as friendly (bloody d6), so going more in-depth statistically will be worthwhile (hardly ever is for D&D).

At the moment, the only thing I own is the Tau Codex, though the people that introduced me to the game have the core rulebook, the Apocalypse rulebook, just about every other codex, and a selection of tau units from which I can make armies (which they let me borrow, the kind souls, and graciously allow me to bypass WYSIWYG). That said, if I continue to enjoy Warhammer 40k as much as I have this past month, I may end up buying a few models for my own purposes, and the actual building and painting of models intrigues me...

So there you have it: As a poster (mostly on D&D forums, granted, but I imagine it's more similar than different), I'm mostly a lurker, definitely a rules lawyer and min/maxer (Try to interpret those in a non-negative sense - I don't break rules to win, I just use them), and occasionally a ruminator on a wide variety of subjects.

I'm a huge fan of the "Know thy self, know thy enemy, then kick his frickin' ass" mentality. If I ever get my statistical act together, I might try to create and host a few decent statistics tables on the various weapons, models, and units of the Tau (and maybe other races? IG, SM, and Eldar all have potential, given those armies are also "borrowable" and are thus also potential enemies...) but that's purely a speculative thing that probably won't be finished for months (though I have at least started, albeit poorly).

That's about all I can think of that matters, really. If I ever sound arrogant or act like a d'yi, feel free to call me on it - As self-confident as I tend to be with rules systems and statistics, I'm also prone to silly mistakes. I'm also famous for missing points, so keep that in mind as well.

Cheers!

Unusualsuspect
Old 03 Jun 2008, 20:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Salutations

welcome dude. hope the site is helpful for your tactics. the tau board is full of most wonderful goodiness, as is all others. it looks like you've already made yourself some karma. nice one.

Unfortunately, looking back to the things posted here, I realised I can now do much better :3

Here are my step by step tutorials for ease of use
Dreadnought close combat arms
Ig tanks
Ork PowerKlaw
messyart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2008, 20:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Suspect! Nice to meet you on the forums. ^^

Nothing much more to say, really. Enjoy your stay, and enjoy WH40K even more, I suppose.

Walk tall...
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2008, 20:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

and carry bubblegum. i mean...

a big gun.
or do i?
make sure you read the rules [what am i saying? you probably already have]

and [i've not said this in a couple of years] whatch out for FT and his [chainaxe?]. he used to have a suppository. he's been corrupted since days of old.

Unfortunately, looking back to the things posted here, I realised I can now do much better :3

Ig tanks
Ork PowerKlaw
Old 03 Jun 2008, 21:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

One must be wary of overcompensatory chainswords, no doubt.

Read the rules, and will integrate them into efficient use of the forum. Optimizer as always.
Old 03 Jun 2008, 21:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

excellent, it will save you losing any karma. i found that some unthougthout comments can upset people unexpectably [as happened to me, i've been afraid of smiting ever since]

Ig tanks
Ork PowerKlaw
Old 04 Jun 2008, 03:02   #7 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

10 9 Commandments of God What a newbie of Tau Online should do and the Temporary 10th Commandment:
1. Thou must read the rules
2. Thou must use of proper grammar and spelling; use the spell checker
3. Thou shall not spamming unless it's here ;D
4. Thou shall be polite; don't flame people 8)
5. Thou shall not resurrect old topics; necromancy is heresy of the highest level here in TO :-\

6. Thou shall not double post; use the 'Modify Message' button to edit your post ^-^
7. Thou shall use the Search function to find a topic first before putting up a new one :P
8. Thou must read the stickies of the various Boards first
9. Thou shall not create 'X vs Y' thread or anything of that sort; it's a spawn pool for flames
10. Thou shall offer sacrifices of alcohol to The All-father

Hello, unusual suspect, Welcome to Tau Online. The above is a summary of the rules and such so you won't get into trouble with the Moderators. Your math skills is more than welcome here but some of the people here are anti-Mathammer. I also use statistics to make some decisions as well

Hope to see you around :P
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote