Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to 40k, new to site
Reply
Old 28 Feb 2008, 01:44   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 6
Default New to 40k, new to site

Hi there, couple of my friends and I have recently decided to give Warhammer a shot.

Played it once before long ago (back when I used to play Magic) some people at the shop let me use one of their armies, looking into it, looks like something we'd like to do.

We've picked up the main rulebook to get our feet wet, and now all of us are trying to decide on which armies we want to play.

I am leaning towards Necrons just out of look :P
gothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2008, 02:08   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,937
Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: New to 40k, new to site

Hello and welcome to Tau Online. Please the rules and you'll be fine here. Visit the Enclave for randomness and fun.

I also welcome you to the world of Warhammer 40000 tabletop miniatures. Now, you have to count in your playstyle. Necrons are not so unique in their army because well you can just use one unit (Necron Warrior) and one strategy (Phalanx) and you can win just like that.

If you want varieties, I recommend the Orks or the Imperial Guards. Loads of different type of units from generic infantrymen, specialists, tanks, vehicles etc.

Also you have to take into consideration of fluff (Background story of your army). Imperial Guard and Orks has the widest and most flexible of fluffs than any other army. Necrons and Tyranids don't need a lot of fluff. I suggest you ask the experts here in TO for advice and opinions before you make a final decision of what army you want. And also read the boards of the Armies of 40K. Get to know all the armies better then make your decision. Good Luck!
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2008, 03:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 190
Default Re: New to 40k, new to site

Welcome to the forums gothgar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Zen Ai
I also welcome you to the world of Warhammer 40000 tabletop miniatures. Now, you have to count in your playstyle. Necrons are not so unique in their army because well you can just use one unit (Necron Warrior) and one strategy (Phalanx) and you can win just like that.
While this is true, there are many other ways to play necrons and still win. Again just visit the army boards and their respective tacticas for more information.

What I suggest doing is picking an army you like the look of because you will be painting them, but don't neglect how they play. Find a happy medium. If you don't like the look of the models then they will never get painted. If you like the look but hate the way they play then you will never have any fun.
__________________

Quote:
Peek a boo, I steal from you. -Homer Simpson
Quote:
Ah uh ahhhhh!
Can't touch me! Can't touch me!
Ju...ju...ju...ju...just like the bad guy from Lethal Weapon 2
I've got diplomatic imunity so Hammer you can't sue...- Peter Griffin
darkblader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2008, 05:09   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 6
Default Re: New to 40k, new to site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Zen Ai
Hello and welcome to Tau Online. Please the rules and you'll be fine here. Visit the Enclave for randomness and fun.

I also welcome you to the world of Warhammer 40000 tabletop miniatures. Now, you have to count in your playstyle. Necrons are not so unique in their army because well you can just use one unit (Necron Warrior) and one strategy (Phalanx) and you can win just like that.

If you want varieties, I recommend the Orks or the Imperial Guards. Loads of different type of units from generic infantrymen, specialists, tanks, vehicles etc.

Also you have to take into consideration of fluff (Background story of your army). Imperial Guard and Orks has the widest and most flexible of fluffs than any other army. Necrons and Tyranids don't need a lot of fluff. I suggest you ask the experts here in TO for advice and opinions before you make a final decision of what army you want. And also read the boards of the Armies of 40K. Get to know all the armies better then make your decision. Good Luck!
yeah, I've been reading the stickies in the different race forums... lots of info to absorb.

Orks look totally awesome to me as well, and I did kind of get the impression that necrons can be somewhat bland from game to game.

Tyranids are looking like fun too... damn each side is done so well it makes the decision all the much more difficult ><

BTW I will def be playing against Imperials and Space Marines, at least so far, don't know what the others are going to pick up, but I'd rather not play the same race as one of my friends, just to keep things interesting.
gothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2008, 05:17   #5 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,937
Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: New to 40k, new to site

Hmm then you better check out what the races that is the least played in your 40K store. Then you can decide. For my store Imperial Guards and Dark Eldar are quite rare around. So when I came in and say I wanted to play Imperial Guards, everyone was like "WOAH! YAY! HUZZAH! HIP HIP HORRAY!"
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2008, 05:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: England
Posts: 2,484
Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky
Default Re: New to 40k, new to site

Welcome to the site, Gothgar. Read the rules, post, and watch out for marauding legions of Pirate Rubber Duckies. :shifty:

Oh, and by the way, I like your name. It sounds very Orky and would make an excellent name for a Warboss. (Hint, hint!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothgar
I am leaning towards Necrons just out of look :P
I've never had to good of experiences with Necrons. A friend of mine started with them and they just bored him out of his mind. That's not to say they aren't a good army, though. I watched this one after-hours game at my local GW where this Necron player absolutely massacred the manager's Mechanized Tau. It was a truly epic game.

And I won't lie, I nearly started a Necron army, too. The models just look neat.

[hr]
[hr]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Zen Ai
Necrons are not so unique in their army because well you can just use one unit (Necron Warrior) and one strategy (Phalanx) and you can win just like that.
While that is a way to ensure winning, it's not the only way to play. The same thing can be said about most armies, too. How about Russ-spamming? 180 Boyz in a 1000 point game? A lot of spammy lists will win you games, but who wants to play (much less paint :-\) an army like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Zen Ai
If you want varieties, I recommend the Orks or the Imperial Guards. Loads of different type of units from generic infantrymen, specialists, tanks, vehicles etc.
Now here's something I can agree with! ;D

Orks and Guard (but mostly Orks) are the two most fun armies out there, in my most humble opinion. With the new codex the Orks now probably the most versatile army list. I highly recommend that you drop by the Ork forum and read some of the reasons we've given for starting Orks, Gothgar.

[hr]
[hr]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothgar
yeah, I've been reading the stickies in the different race forums... lots of info to absorb.

Orks look totally awesome to me as well, and I did kind of get the impression that necrons can be somewhat bland from game to game.

Tyranids are looking like fun too... damn each side is done so well it makes the decision all the much more difficult ><

BTW I will def be playing against Imperials and Space Marines, at least so far, don't know what the others are going to pick up, but I'd rather not play the same race as one of my friends, just to keep things interesting.
I've never been the biggest fan of Tyranids. I just can't stand their fluff (which in case you didn't know is their back story) and they look tedious to paint. It's a pretty versatile list (Nidzilla, Gaunt Swarm, Genestealers), but still not nearly as versatile as the Orks. I hope you check out Orks.

-Grandpa Ducky
__________________


Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2008, 05:59   #7 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,937
Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: New to 40k, new to site

Quote:
Oh, and by the way, I like your name. It sounds very Orky and would make an excellent name for a Warboss. (Hint, hint!)
Gothgar also makes a good name for an Imperial Commander *Wink* *wink*

Quote:
While that is a way to ensure winning, it's not the only way to play. The same thing can be said about most armies, too. How about Russ-spamming? 180 Boyz in a 1000 point game? A lot of spammy lists will win you games, but who wants to play (much less paint ) an army like that?
Hey! The Necrons has one weapon that can cut through infantrymen and tanks alike. IT'S THEIR FREAKING MAIN WEAPON! IGs can only have 3 Leman Russes for a normal army :shifty: I mean Necron has little or no vareity.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2008, 06:37   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 31
Default Re: New to 40k, new to site

Welcome mate. Personally, if no one else is playing them, I recommend the Inquisition (Witch/Daemon hunters). Great models, fun rules (look up adversary rules), and can fight and work with just about anyone, given the right circumstances. But go with who you want. Gark Eldar are quite rarely played, and a very interesting list.
Tybalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2008, 06:57   #9 (permalink)
AC
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 751
Default Re: New to 40k, new to site

Good to see new players. I would recommend Tau because although they suck at combat, they are great at shooting & are very manoverable.
__________________
Exitus Acta Probat "the Outcome justifies the Deed"
- Vindicare Assassin Temple Motto

There are three things that matter in marksmanship. Location, Location, Location - Vindicare Assassin Training Dogma.

I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but I know that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Semper Fi
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2008, 09:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: England
Posts: 2,484
Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky
Default Re: New to 40k, new to site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Zen Ai
Hey! The Necrons has one weapon that can cut through infantrymen and tanks alike. IT'S THEIR FREAKING MAIN WEAPON! IGs can only have 3 Leman Russes for a normal army :shifty: I mean Necron has little or no vareity.
But there is variaty. While Warriors may be the only choice for troops, there's still Destroyers, Flayed Ones, Scarabs, Wraiths, Tomb Spiders, et cetera. If by having one Troop choice that means that an army has little or no variety, then what's that saying about Guard? Two Troop choices only, mind you.* And Orks? Two Troop choices, again. Do both of those armies lack variety? Hellz no! :P

So while yes, the Necron army list is one of the shorter lists, it also has the most unique special rules. No other army has something like We'll Be Back or Guass Weaponry or Phasing Out. I think those three rules alone add enough variety and specialness to the list to make it worth playing.

Now if we're going to pick on something Necron, how about we pick on their ridiculous fluff. ;D

Oh, and it takes two rolls of six for a Guass weapon to actually destroy a tank. That's only a 1/36 chance. I sure do hope it eats through infantry better than that... :P

-Grandpa Ducky

*I'm using the 3rd Edition Guard Codex, I don't have the 4th Edition one. I'd assume it's the same in both, though.
__________________


Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New UK site!! warriorchris General 40K 62 14 Oct 2008 19:57
New to the site MrBrown Introduce yourself 2 17 Sep 2008 20:12
Daemon site finally opened up in US GW site crisis_vyper Games Workshop News and Rumours 3 09 May 2008 16:09
New to the site AND the Tau... Deneris Introduce yourself 6 27 May 2007 23:32
WHAT THIS SITE NEEDS Kangaroo Joe Enclave Talk 151 01 Apr 2005 17:03