Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

new guy to forums
Closed Thread
Old 12 Dec 2006, 08:21   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default new guy to forums

Hello all. I recently got back into 40k when I found out my girlfriend likes painting miniatures, we thought it would be something fun we can do together. I decided to start a Tau army because I like the way they look, she's starting a Chaos army for the same reason. I haven't played a game with them yet, I only have 7 fire warriors, 2 gun drones, 1 marker drone, 2 stealth suits and a battlesuit commander completed, but I just played my first game at the local GW store with their models, I forgot how fun it is!

Since this is the introduction forum I assume it's ok to ask a few noob questions:

What exactly is powergaming?
It seems to be frowned upon, but I'm not quite sure what it is. From what I've gathered it's always taking the "best" (or perceived best) combinations of units when making your armies. Right now I'm thinking of getting sniper drones because I like the models, but this seems like an inferior heavy choice when broadsides and hammerheads are available. Would not taking sniper drones for this reason be an example of powergaming?

What's the deal with ForgeWorld?
I see people putting entries on their army lists that aren't in any codices. The say they are from forgeworld. Is this "legal"?

One last thing... all my forum experience has been with MMORPG forums, and I gotta say that it's quite different here. There's so little flaming, people seem generally nice and helpful.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 12:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: new guy to forums

Welcome.

Powergaming is usually seen as abusing the rules, an example of powergaming would be taking two squads of 5 iron warriors(the minimum), 9 Obliterators, a geared up Deamon Prince, and four peadotors.

I strongly suggest taking a Hammerhead or Broadside, that's where the tau antitank firepower is.

Forgeworld makes models with altenate rules and models you can use as an alternative to normal troops. The former is legal with the opponent's consent, the latter legal all the time.

Again, welcome to the forums! Be sure to read the rules and enjoy your stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Old 12 Dec 2006, 17:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

hey there, welcome to the forums

1)powergaming is generally defined as playing only to win, at the expense of everything else.anothe example of mowergaming is min/maxing (how I loath that) where you take the minimum squad size and max out weapon choices

2)No, not taking siniper drones is not powergaming, take what ever you feel like in your army, even if it's just because you like the models! If your list is a powergaming list (often reffered to as beardy or cheesy) you'll be told quite quickly

3)As gearhead said, but they are a lot more expensive (most of the time)

4)Thanks1 we try our best

once again, welcome to the forums
Old 12 Dec 2006, 19:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Oh no It's the dreaded Rear Admiral!

Sorry I couldn't resist that one, I'm a bit of a Simpsons geek...

But welcome to the Forums. Enjoy your stay here, we're a pretty decent bunch of people and we usually know what we're talking about.

Well most of the time.

Sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 19:53   #5 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Heya,

Welcome to Tau Online, obey the Forum Rules (Guys here take great pride in their rules :) and please, don't hesitate to ask questions, after all we are all here to help.

1.) Powergaming, to me is when a player wants to win at the expense of all other aspects of the hobby. They care more of winning, and generally kill the fun out of the game.

2.) Forge World units are legal, infact I'm considering collecting an Elysian Drop Troops army!

3.) Well we are the best around... :P

Old 13 Dec 2006, 06:24   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

The sniper drones do have some good to them, taking out marines and other nasty infantry. You will just regret it when a guy rolls up with three leman russes on the table...

Quote:
One last thing... all my forum experience has been with MMORPG forums, and I gotta say that it's quite different here. There's so little flaming, people seem generally nice and helpful.
yeah, on this forums we like to HELP one and another...
Old 13 Dec 2006, 07:06   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

We pride ourselves in our generosity and (mostly) non-flamyness.

Everyone is welcome... for the Greater Good.

No! For the Emperor! :shifty:
Closed Thread