Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A new member deep strikes the forum
Closed Thread
Old 05 Dec 2006, 20:56   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default A new member deep strikes the forum

Hi All:

Well I thought it was time I found a forum. I've been collecting Tau for about 2 years on and off and recently started playing. Man it takes forever to paint these little guys hence 85% of my army is undercoat black . I've only played two games so far with my brother (Space Wolves), one at 500 points (I won) and one at 1000 points (he won - bloody power claws) and the next game is Friday night.

I built up my army with a starter box and as luck would have it I got quite a bit of kit half price when a bookshop my wife used to work for sold off all their GW gear as they were not going to stock it anymore ... bargain for me!

I've recently magnetised my battlesuits with those little 2mm x 1mm magnets which obviously saves on the blue tack which I was using. I've also converted my commander so he's standing over a space marine who's armed with bolter and chain sword, crushing his arm and holding the Ion Blaster to his head. I will post pics at some point when I get it together.

One quick question if you'd be so kind to settle a question from my brother. If for example a team of two battle suits or a team of firewarriors has a shield drone with them does it protect the whole unit with a +4 invulnerable or just a set amount of figures or just the one who has the drone issued? In the codex it doesn't say, it just says that it generates a protective shield. I was thinking of taking one with the broadside suit this time to save the power claw which caused no end of trouble last time.

Cheers peeps, I'll try to read through all your previous ramblings on this forum over the next few weeks.
Support my local independent stockist The Gamers Guild (www.thegamersguild.co.uk). They stock the usual GW gear plus wargame miniatures from Reaper, Copplestone Castings, The Assault Group, West Wind, Artizan Designs, Renegade Miniatures, Conquest Miniatures, Projekt X and Sloppy Jalopy. They also have cheaper alternatives for modelling, scenery, paints and tools. They also stock a wide variety of board games, collectable card games, books and run in store games days and events! They make a cracking cup of coffee as well
Old 05 Dec 2006, 21:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: A new member deep strikes the forum

Basically, you take a hit. (I'm assuming you take the drone with suits, as they really only protect valuable units with toughness 4 or better efficiently.) You could take a hit against a suit, and risk it taking out a valuable unit (usually when it has AP 3 or better, or will cause instant death to a suit), or take it against the shield drone. The drone, with a toughness of four, is still in the same boat as the suit, but, not only does it have a 4+ invulnerable save to watch its back, but if it fails it, you still have a squad at 100% combat status. I love it when someone says "DIE SUITS NOW!!!!", launches a single, strength 8-10 AP 1-3 shot at my suits or commander, expecting it to kill him instantly, negating all 2-4 wounds... then watches it down a single drone. Or, for maximum humiliation, watch it hit the drone, and the drone still smiles at them.
"No, you can't put a Lascannon there; the Machine God will have a tantrum and turn the universe inside out."

Old 05 Dec 2006, 21:29   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Ok thanks, so it's best with XV8/88's. So what happens with the shield generator as a support system?

(Goes to change his army list for Friday) :funny:
Support my local independent stockist The Gamers Guild (www.thegamersguild.co.uk). They stock the usual GW gear plus wargame miniatures from Reaper, Copplestone Castings, The Assault Group, West Wind, Artizan Designs, Renegade Miniatures, Conquest Miniatures, Projekt X and Sloppy Jalopy. They also have cheaper alternatives for modelling, scenery, paints and tools. They also stock a wide variety of board games, collectable card games, books and run in store games days and events! They make a cracking cup of coffee as well
Old 06 Dec 2006, 01:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Basically, you give the suit the invunerable save. This makes a tradeoff between risking the suit if you take the hit to the suit on purpose, even with the shields (and being more expensive), and that you have an extra wound, but being able to ignore the extra unit "footprint" so that the drone can't be shot out from underneath your nose by things like lasguns, and also extra protection against template weapons (if you get hit with a template, it's hard to move it on a small team to protect your guy, or impossible if this is a Monat).

If a shield drone gave EVERYONE in the team 4+ invunerable saves... a lot of people would have killed themselves.
"No, you can't put a Lascannon there; the Machine God will have a tantrum and turn the universe inside out."

Old 06 Dec 2006, 09:24   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for clearing that up. I may have to post my intended list for Friday to see what you guys and gals think of it or if I could improve on it.

Markerlights I hear are good, should a firewarrior member carry one to give his unit a +1 BS or does that only work for another unit to use the markerlight?
Old 06 Dec 2006, 11:57   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Big Welcome to the forums! Its always nice to get new members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 08 Dec 2006, 01:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Only the Shas'ui can take the markerlight. Resulting in a 30 point squad leader. A lot of people will add a target lock as well (because, to answer number 2, only a NETWORKED markerlight can help its own squad). Resulting a 35 point squad leader. Ouch.

If you've got money issues (real money, not points) then loading up on these guys can limit the amount of models you'll have to buy for your army. Still, they can get really expensive, really fast.

Old 08 Dec 2006, 19:26   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

but also real deadly real fast.

if you are worried about the points grab a unit of pathfinders. marker light ho!

WELCOME!
Closed Thread