Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

i am torgoch
Closed Thread
Old 01 Nov 2005, 12:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default i am torgoch

Hello all,

Seeing as dakka is down I thought I'd pop over here and have a look at the site. I've been playing Tau since they came out 2000 and have been a fairly vocal Tau theorist on various web-boards like Portent and (shudder) the GW forums, but principally on dakkadakka.

I played Hybrid Tau in 3rd edition with some success, but with version 4 have gone more mech. I enjoy the list less as a result, but its still been successful - I finished 3rd in Conflict London 2005 (dubious result stopped me getting 1st) and just finished 4th in UK Heat 2. I've posted the Heat 2 army list in relevant forum as it wants some slight modification.

anyway, good to see so many Tau players in one place, hope we can generate some good discussion.

alex

2005 record:
SVA: winning Faction
London Conflict: 3rd Place
GT Heat 2: 4th Place
Warfare 2005: tournament winner
Old 01 Nov 2005, 14:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: i am torgoch

Nice to see you again, Torgoch.
I'm a recent arrival myself, having given up Tau some time ago. It actually had to do with Kai'lore, but I will save my badmouthing of him for other more appropriate places.
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 01 Nov 2005, 14:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Nice to see one of the more successful tournament players here.
(I have read most the Tau tactical threads on Dakka - interesting reads)

As for the change from Hybrid to Mech, I am hoping that the revised codex can provide some support, as I too prefer the Hybrid over the Mech army lists. Though I do not have you level of competitive experience (only local RTTs, no GTs) to know for sure what effect the changes will have.

Later,
Fireblade
“One of their light walkers carried a weapon of lethal effect. It fired a form of ultra-high velocity projectile. I saw one of our tanks after having been it by it. There was a small hole punched in either flank – one the projectile’s entry point, the other its exit. The tiny munition had passed through the vehicle with such speed that everything within the hull not welded down had been sucked out through the exit hole. Including the crew. We never identified their bodies, for all that remained of them was a red stain upon the ground, extending some twenty metres from the wreck.”
Major Kane
Old 01 Nov 2005, 14:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

welcome to TO,
dakka twitch* dakka [size=13pt]DAKKA [/size]

Praise be to the Omnissiah.url=http://www.pickle-green.com/egraphics/main.php?id=eggs][/url]
Old 02 Nov 2005, 09:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I suspect Tau Empires will introduce essentially worthless wargear and multiply the number of 'fringe' units in the codex - currently I see the Vespids as at best a marginal choice. Of course, I will buy and use some of those wretched models, but I doubt I'll be taking them to Warhammer World at any point. Still, just as long as they don't change the Stealth Suit rules, I imagine I'll be happy with it.

The problem with Hybrid-Tau derives not from the codex, but from the 'escalation' rule placing so many key units in reserve, leaving Broadsides horribly exposed. Its a problem almost impossible for the codex to address I suspect.

-alex

2005 record:
Old 02 Nov 2005, 14:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by torgoch
I suspect Tau Empires will introduce essentially worthless wargear …
While I am personally not a big proponent of the Advanced Stabilization System, I do like the Targeting Array. I will soon have the option to bump the average battlesuit BS from 3 to 4.

Personally, I am leaning toward the Targeting Array option for my Broadsides. As they must take a support system, in a two-man team, both can take the Targeting Array, and I can give the Team Leader a Hardwired Target Lock and Hardwired Drone Controller with two Shield Drones (since they will soon be able to protect the unit).

As for the Special Issue stuff, I am sure that they will not appeal to everyone but they will provide for some additional options for those that are interested.

Quote:
… and multiply the number of 'fringe' units in the codex - currently I see the Vespids as at best a marginal choice.
From a purely Tournament Perspective, I will have to concede that a die-hard Mech-Tau player will not be giving up their Rail-head for a Sniper Drone Team or two. To be honest, I am not sure that I would choose to lose either my Railhead or Broadside Team in order to field a Sniper Team (but I will probably proxy them to see how effective they might be). However I am sure that some of the more creative players will be able to make use of the teams. The Sky Ray has potential, and it is a way for Mech-Tau players to acquire some mobile Markerlights. Piranhas will also be a possible addition to a Mech-Tau force as it would add a true Fast unit to the mix. They can also provide additional Seeker Missile platforms in addition to the firepower they normally carry (including their Gun Drones). As for the Vespid, I think that they will be best used in a coordinated support role.

Quote:
Still, just as long as they don't change the Stealth Suit rules, I imagine I'll be happy with it.
Last I heard, the Stealths were getting some minor tweaks, though it should not impact your current use of the unit.

Quote:
The problem with Hybrid-Tau derives not from the codex, but from the 'escalation' rule placing so many key units in reserve, leaving Broadsides horribly exposed. It’s a problem almost impossible for the codex to address I suspect.
True, I had forgotten about the Escalation issue (I play mostly Gamma).
However you could give the Broadsides the Advanced Stabilization System so that they could fire their Railguns on the turn they move onto the board (and while they are moving into position). Also, the Pathfinder’s Devilfish can help Deepstriking units increase their chances of arriving were you want them. Plus there is a Special Issue item that can be used to increase the chances of getting a single unit in from Reserves (though it is not without drawbacks).

Most likely, very few Mech-Tau players will shift to a Hybrid force, but even so they will have a few more options to consider for their army. However, die-hard Hybrid players (like myself) will also find some more options to exploit within their force as well.

Later,
Fireblade
“One of their light walkers carried a weapon of lethal effect. It fired a form of ultra-high velocity projectile. I saw one of our tanks after having been it by it. There was a small hole punched in either flank – one the projectile’s entry point, the other its exit. The tiny munition had passed through the vehicle with such speed that everything within the hull not welded down had been sucked out through the exit hole. Including the crew. We never identified their bodies, for all that remained of them was a red stain upon the ground, extending some twenty metres from the wreck.”
Major Kane
Old 02 Nov 2005, 16:21   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Sorry for the late welcome Torgoch, but I thought I should give one anyway.
I don't frequent the Tau board often but if you ever venture into either the Necron or the Eldar boards then you will likely encounter me at some point.
See you on the boards!
Old 03 Nov 2005, 13:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade
Quote:
Originally Posted by torgoch
I suspect Tau Empires will introduce essentially worthless wargear …
While I am personally not a big proponent of the Advanced Stabilization System, I do like the Targeting Array.* I will soon have the option to bump the average battlesuit BS from 3 to 4.*

Personally, I am leaning toward the Targeting Array option for my Broadsides.* As they must take a support system, in a two-man team, both can take the Targeting Array, and I can give the Team Leader a Hardwired Target Lock and Hardwired Drone Controller with two Shield Drones (since they will soon be able to protect the unit).
Moving broadsides might be fun, although, again for reasons discussed above, they still won't be GT viable. Ditto with the targetting array on 'sides. And even once drone rules are corrected, 2 SDs will still not constitute much protection.

The targetting array might be more attractive on crisis suit team leaders / bodyguards (assuming all else is unchanged) - esp if we do get a 5 pt rebate on crisis. I imagine the pointing of the Shas'el and Shas'o will have to change, since if a +1BS upgrade is available fro 5 pts on a model 25pts less, then no-one would ever take the 'O. Not that many do at the mo anyway.

Quote:
…* However I am sure that some of the more creative players will be able to make use of the teams.
i'm sure certainly they won't their way into powerlists, period.

EDIT: that was a bit harsh - anyone can make use of something, and wi'm sure we can devise some interesting applications for the new options

Quote:
* The* Sky Ray has potential, and it is a way for Mech-Tau players to acquire some mobile Markerlights.* Piranhas will also be a possible addition to a Mech-Tau force as it would add a true Fast unit to the mix.* They can also provide additional Seeker Missile platforms in addition to the firepower they normally carry (including their Gun Drones).*
what does the skyray do nowadays? the Imp Arm original was entirely useless... is the new one any better?

Quote:
However you could give the Broadsides the Advanced Stabilization System so that they could fire their Railguns on the turn they move onto the board (and while they are moving into position).*
Broadsides don't start in reserve in escalation

i think i should be clearer, in that i'll be buying and using everything in the new codex... i think the new drones sound like fun, and i want to field a wildly heterogenous tau empire army...* but i tend to equate online discussion with unit potential discussion

-alex

2005 record:
Old 03 Nov 2005, 14:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Welcome to TO! Be sure to read the Forum Rules and to Vote for TO! Be sure to make a visit to the Tau Board!
Enjoy your stay!
~Aunny ;D
Closed Thread