Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Warrior
Closed Thread
Old 27 Sep 2005, 03:04   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default New Warrior

I've always been a tau fan, ever sense I stumbled into the Fire Warrior game at a block buster. I've always watched Warhammer games from the side lines, but I don't have the rules all the way down. Right now the only actual warhammer thing I own is the codex for the units that I love, the Tau.

Unfortunately, I've lost my job... soooooo... crap, I can't buy anything, not even the core rule book. There's only one place in my area that plays WH40k and the people there are pretty 'keep their stuff to themselves'

Any tips? I want to get started, I want to get some Tau, and I want to get to painting and playing.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 04:47   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: New Warrior

well u definately need money first lol ... but when you have it, get the rules and read them over once or twice .. watch a few more games and pay attention to everything that goes on ... then get a small force to start playing small scale games so you can learn the rules better.... getting the boxed set is always good cuz its got everything u need and a little more, and its not too expensive .... u can get them on ebay for like 60 bucks too which makes it an even better deal... beyond that, itd pretty much be up to you to build up your army to suit your needs .... but before anyone could even give you advice, you'd need a basic army and you need to understand how to play ... then you can ask people for advice on making your army to best suit certain strategies or opponents
Old 27 Sep 2005, 12:45   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Welcome to Tau Online!
Sorry to hear about the job.
If you ever realise decide that you prefer Eldar, you can find me stalking the webway Eldar board, as the active Eldar Mod.
See you around!
Regards,
- Rezzy
Old 27 Sep 2005, 19:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hi Zamf.

Welcome to the site. If you want to get some stuff without investing a lot of cash, try Ebay. I'm just getting into Warhammer 40K also. I sold some junk I had lying around the house that I didn't want anymore, and with the Paypal balance I had after the sales I was able to get a ton of W40K stuff. If you're patient and persistent, you can find a lot of minis and books at up to a third off the retail prices. The best part is you don't need any actual cash in hand to obtain these things.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 11:06   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Sorry to hear about the job mate.
you need to:
1 get money
2 get the rules
3 get an HQ unit (to lead your army)
4 get some Fire Warriors (good with guns)
5 get some kroot (good in close combat)
6 get some heavy fire power (for killing tanks and stuff)
7 get playing and playing and playing >
Old 29 Sep 2005, 01:33   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Path finder blister pack

So, I bought a path finder blister pack for 10 bucks, not to start my army, just to have a figure. I'll probably paint him and put him on a book case or something.

So, what did I get with the Path Finder? A fully assembled tou path finder (metal) , with a gun drone (Which is the top, the Base, two guns and an antenna) (plastic), four bases, a clear plastic base with two plastic posts (so as to make my drone hover and have another post spare) and... a wired... metal... base..thing, I've never actually seen a Warhammer anything that had this metal part to it, but it has a peg on one end and a hole on the other, so I guess it's part of something.

Can anyone tell me just what the heck that thing is? It doesn't seem to fit on my drone, well it does but it looks really silly.

And really, what's with all the extra stuff... I'm confused @-@;

And no i wont go sissy elf Eldar. Sorry, not my style.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 01:53   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

u bought a pathfinder shas'ui, which is a team leader ... and thats a shield drone ... dont bother with the guns ... the metal disc thing should go into the hole on the bottom of the drone, and then the plastic flying stick should go into the hole thats on the bottom of the metal thing and you should have 2 metal antennae and they go on top in the little indents
Old 29 Sep 2005, 03:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

That blister pack will contain the necessary parts to make either the gun drone or the shield drone. You might want to build the shield drone, seeing as how the battleforce and Crisis suits come with several gun drones (10 and 2 respectively). If you want to see how they look before you decide, you can check them out at Games Workshop's website.
Old 02 Oct 2005, 04:08   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hey sunder, I looked all over the Games-Workshop web page and can't seem to find a picture of the shield drone. Can you (or someone else) get me the URL for it?

Oh, and on an update, I got the core rule book now.
Old 02 Oct 2005, 04:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hi Zamf, Here's how to check out the W40K range of Tau stuff:

Go to www.games-workshop.com. Click on your region flag to your right. Select the "shopping" link. It is near the top center.
Select the "online store" option. This would be a good time to bookmark so you don't have to repeat the other steps. Select "Warhammer 40K" to the left and then select "Tau". You will find a pic of the shield drone with the Pathfinder Shas'ui in the Fast Attack section, and you can see gun drones with the Fire Warriors in the Troops section. If you want to see what they will look like assembled and unpainted, check out the pic below. I hope this helps!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Drones.JPG (41.1 KB, 10 views)
Closed Thread