Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

army switch
Closed Thread
Old 29 Jul 2005, 00:38   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default army switch

hey, i dont know what to do. i have the ork codex, 14 boyz, a converted big shoota and am in the process of converting a nob. i recently got really interested in witch hunters but am not sure about spending the money, and the issue of where to sell the orks. my two options are: buy a warboss and half a gretchin mob from my friend ceap and be on my way to a core army, or somehow sell the orks and start witch hunters. what should i do?

thanks, dante
Old 29 Jul 2005, 01:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: army switch

go for the witch they got some of the coolest models and there a very good army

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 29 Jul 2005, 01:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante
hey, i dont know what to do. i have the ork codex, 14 boyz, a converted big shoota and am in the process of converting a nob. i recently got really interested in witch hunters but am not sure about spending the money, and the issue of where to sell the orks. my two options are: buy a warboss and half a gretchin mob from my friend ceap and be on my way to a core army, or somehow sell the orks and start witch hunters. what should i do?

thanks, dante
Heya Dante, welcome to the board

I don't think many can really tell you what to do here. The two armies are very different, so it's not like picking and choosing based on a single factor. Basically, I'd have to say pick which army you think you'd love to look at years to come, and pick that one. If you like close combat, goofy ork models, border busting pick-up trukk style vehicles and things to that effect, the Orks will do you well, giving you plenty of conversion potential and they're a great army. The Witch Hunters on the other hand, are a prestigious branch of the Inquisition and have the highest order of protectors, the Daughters of the Emperor. The sisters of battle are a cheap horde army too, but they have much better armor; they have power armor. Think of guardsmen with power armor and bolters and loads of assault weapons, like flamers and meltas. Think of angels flying into battle preaching death to heresy and calling upon the Emperor for Faith, as they cause small miracles which can totally alter the game and cannot be interrupted. Or you could always play the Orks, and load up in a trukk, drive at your opponent, explode and get entangled, assault, attack, do all sorts of crazy things.

The models are a big factor really. Do you like Ork models? Do you also like Witch Hunter models? The Witch Hunter line is beautifully sculpted, but mostly made of metal. That means it will not be cheap to build the army, but it will have the spirit of 40k, the grim dark Gothic look that the sisters capture beautifully (much better than space marines... who look pretty silly and too curvy for super men). The Sisters of Battle capture that essence of the ornate, but ancient armor that can withstand nuclear holocaust, etc. The other aspect is that the Witch Hunters are a hybrid army, meaning they do well at shooting and combat, but they are a very close quarters oriented force, their powerful weapons are short ranged. The Orks are an aged model line, kind of goofy looking like all the models from that epoque of GW's rein upon the industry. The orks are a combat army of course, and horde, but they can be a shooting army and a good one.

Anyhow, it's all about you. I don't know your tastes, so I cannot really tell you which way to go. I'd hate to recommend the Witch Hunters to someone who may be an Ork player at heart, because once you buy into an army it's hard to justify playing it if you don't enjoy them. Are you a serious player? Casual player? A little of both? Do you really care about meticulous detail, or strategy or are you more of a let's just throw it at 'em and see what happens kind of guy?

Final note: The orks are more forgiving to play, than the Witch Hunters. That means, the orks don't have a learning curve really. You just take what you have, throw at your opponent and hope you're stronger. There's plenty of tactics and all, but like most horde armies, the tactics usually involve just having more than your opponent. The Witch Hunters on the other hand require a lot of learning, as you no longer have a set way to play. They're very specific and specialized, so they can only do so much and can only really shine in the hands of a good player. They're a lot of fun, but they're definitely not one of the easier armies to put on the field and have very good games that result in victories very often. Some may claim otherwise, that they're awesome when played correctly, but all armies are that way. The Witch Hunters simply aren't as flexible as Space Marines, to give you an example.

So... maybe tell us some more about yourself, what you want to do with this hobby, how you play, who you play with, etc.

Cheers!
Old 29 Jul 2005, 09:41   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

thanks mal, your really steering me toward WH, you tricky devil. anyway, i enjoy playing orks simply because i like to roll dice. i would like to learn to be tactful and cunning on the table but theres no resisting that massed shoota fire...on the other hand i like witch hunters because of the ancient, mechanical beauty of things like the exorcist and pentient engine, and the story behind the inqusition, that they root out heretics instead of everyone, like the rest of the imperium. so in conclusion, if i had the money, my dream army would be full of pentient engines, arco flaggellants, and repentia. but unless i find a way out of orks, i will only be 70% satisfied with my army.

P.S. im usually only fighting my friends (a tau player, an sm player, a future choas player, and a future daemonhunters player.) if that matters.

thanks for the help!

dante
Old 29 Jul 2005, 15:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Dante:

Hey sounds good. They way I would try to think about it, would be, what do you think you want to use right now and do you think you might want to use later. Think of this, the Ork line is old and the codex is old, and they are going to be updated soon. The Witch Hunters will not be getting any updates, for a very long time. In fact, the Alien Hunters are coming out soon too, so that's yet another Inquisitorial branch (Death Watch Kill Teams). So you could think of it as, buy something now and see the new stuff come out while you're collecting and painting it, as well as a new codex, which changes your rules around and makes some of your units work differently, etc. Or perhaps take an army that won't change at all, other than gain yet another ally when a new army is created, which you can easily add to (just like how Daemonhunters can add Witch Hunter allies and vise verse, when the Alien Hunters is released, both armies can take them as allies as well). The Inquisition works together and it works with the Imperial Guard and Space marines, allowing you lots of possibility, expansion and the ability to add new things as the come out without having to seriously alter your army or buy totally new models.

Now, don't let me totally steer you into the Witch Hunters, but if you can't decide either way, perhaps that economical sense of the two armies could be a determining factor for you.

The other thing to consider, against your opponents, Tau, Space Marines, Chaos and Daemonhunters, the Orks are probably a better army to fight against them (ie: the orks have good chances against these armies, because you can beat them all down in combat). The Witch Hunters can fight these armies too and be awesome, but they will require a lot more on your part to pull of those wins, especially against the Tau.

So if you want challenges, take the Witch Hunters any day. If you want to just swamp someone and beat them to a pulp with Choppas and all, take the Orks. If you want beautiful minis, take the Witch Hunters. If you want kind of silly minis that will be replaced soon and the new codex released, well, take the Orks.

Just remember, the Witch Hunters are much more than what's in that codex. You can have all branches of the Inquisition (Daemonhunters and Alien Hunters) as well as the Imperial Guard and the Space Marines (all chapters). You have loads and loads of possibilities for composition there. The Orks are a conversion dream though, as they're much easier to convert and make your own unique army, easily with, simply because of all the "junk" look that they take.

Personally, I think you'll like playing Orks a lot, simply because it will do well against your opponents. But I also think you'll like the Witch Hunters for the beauty and challenge they will repsent to you. And in the end, if you did go with the Witch Hunters, you could always take Orks too later, after they release the new models and new codex.

And of course, one of the biggest things to remember: Witch Hunters :: Orks

Cheers!

Old 31 Jul 2005, 03:59   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

thanks, youve been a huge help. im probably going to stay orks and when i have some free money invest in a witch hunters force.

dante
Old 31 Jul 2005, 07:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante
thanks, youve been a huge help. im probably going to stay orks and when i have some free money invest in a witch hunters force.

dante
Sounds good
Just remember, when the new codex and new models are released, it will be hard not to want to re-buy things =P

Cheers!