Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mystic Question!
Old 12 May 2010, 16:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Mystic Question!

Can the Mystic use it's ability while inside of a chimera?
Old 12 May 2010, 17:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Mystic Question!

The rules of this game are permissive. Mystics are not explicitly mentioned to be able to use their ability whilst in a Chimera so as far as I am aware they cannot.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2010, 17:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

So I guess I'll just ask what the tourney organizer say and go with. Just nee to know if I have to hide them in a sheild of vehicles or not.

Also Does the mystic need line of sight or not. Getting my army ready and need to know.
Old 12 May 2010, 17:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicop76
So I guess I'll just ask what the tourney organizer say and go with.
So, upon being told the answer you didn't want to hear, you're going to go try and get the TD to rule in your favour anyway? :sadnshocked:

Quote:
Also Does the mystic need line of sight or not.
No, he does not. And remember that the distance is measured from the Inquisitor himself, not the Mystic/s, even if you use the ability of two Mystics to pass the free shot on to another unit.
[hr]
Old 12 May 2010, 17:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Thespian
Quote:
So I guess I'll just ask what the tourney organizer say and go with.
So, upon being told the answer you didn't want to hear, you're going to go try and get the TD to rule in your favour anyway? :sadnshocked:

Quote:
Also Does the mystic need line of sight or not.
No, he does not. And remember that the distance is measured from the Inquisitor himself, not the Mystic/s, even if you use the ability of two Mystics to pass the free shot on to another unit.
Well the first answer is important. If the tourney organiser says yes I can then why argur that I can't. If he says no than I don't have a basis to argue the point. I guess I ask simply to know if I can so I could argue that it can. The tourney org. kinda knows the rules so why not take advantage of him not knowing the rules. ;(.

Hmm it's measured from the Inquisitor. Nice to know that.

Thanks for the help and wish me luch with ard boys.

Just looked uned the 40k faq and found this
"If the psychic power does not require line of sight
and has a range or an area of effect that is
normally measured from the model using it, these
are measured from the vehicle’s hull, as
explained in the Embarking section on page 66."

"Q. Can Psychic powers be used on a unit
embarked on a transport?
A. For simplicity’s sake, the answer has to be a
firm ‘No, unless the psyker himself is in the unit
being transported’."

How would those two faq rulings effect the mystics. I know the inquisitor is a psyker but the ability isn't a psker power. That's the only reason I would think it would work in the vehicle.
Old 13 May 2010, 03:27   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I would venture yes. In my opinion the power's rules are very straightforward:

If x occurs within y of inquisitor: yes.
If Else: no.

I don't particularly see how being in a vehicle would change that too much (other than measuring from the closest point on the vehicle, which seems to be pretty straightforward itself). Even in terms of game balance, you're looking at an inch of two of potential gains in radius which on so many dice isn't exactly game breaking.

Now I could be wrong as I haven't memorized all the FAQ's, but as far as I know you can still nominate a vehicle or unit of vehicles to fire using the mystic's power. I personally would take that as at least partial precedent.
Old 16 May 2010, 06:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEF Knight
I would venture yes. In my opinion the power's rules are very straightforward:

If x occurs within y of inquisitor: yes.
If Else: no.

I don't particularly see how being in a vehicle would change that too much (other than measuring from the closest point on the vehicle, which seems to be pretty straightforward itself).
The change occurs from the fact that the Inquisitor is no longer on the tabletop. The Mystic specifies to "measure from the Inquisitor" not "measure from the Inquisitor or the vehicle he is currently occupying".

Models in vehicles may not interact with models outside of vehicles in any way other than by the use of shooting attacks (including shooting psychic powers) via fire points or unless specifically allowed to (such as Imperial Guard Chimeras permitting Officers within to use Orders, specifically mentioning that range and line of sight for said Orders is measured from any point on the Chimera's hull). Since Mystics are not a shooting attack (they just enable such an attack to occur) they cannot use their ability inside of a vehicle.

Quote:
Even in terms of game balance, you're looking at an inch of two of potential gains in radius which on so many dice isn't exactly game breaking.
I think you'll find that it is. If, for example, the Inquisitor were mounted in a Land Raider, then not only would you gain the footprint of the Land Raider but the radius would extend in all directions from the edge of said Land Raider, giving a significantly increased area of effect.

In addition, mounting Mystics in a Land Raider would significantly increase their ability to survive incoming fire, which is about their only weakness.

Quote:
Now I could be wrong as I haven't memorized all the FAQ's, but as far as I know you can still nominate a vehicle or unit of vehicles to fire using the mystic's power. I personally would take that as at least partial precedent.
It is in no way any kind of precedent. Multiple Mystics allow "one unit with a model within 12" of {the Inquisitor} to immediately take these 'free' shots at the enemy unit" and since vehicles and vehicle squadrons are considered units then they are valid targets. A vehicle or vehicle squadron being considered a 'unit' is not a precedent for models to use non-shooting abilities whilst inside a vehicle.
[hr]
Old 17 May 2010, 09:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to DarkKnightCuron Send a message via MSN to DarkKnightCuron

I believe this has been covered before, and it's actually a lynchpin of some IG lists (Leafblower). The Inquisitor is counted as being inside the vehicle and, therefore, the distance is measured from the Chimera's hull. Otherwise, several people would not have been able to get away with this on many many occasions during 'Ard Boyz and other tournaments.
Old 17 May 2010, 13:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnightCuron
I believe this has been covered before, and it's actually a lynchpin of some IG lists (Leafblower). The Inquisitor is counted as being inside the vehicle and, therefore, the distance is measured from the Chimera's hull. Otherwise, several people would not have been able to get away with this on many many occasions during 'Ard Boyz and other tournaments.
Organizer allowed me to do it. Stopped 2 people from dsing.
Old 23 May 2010, 18:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Thespian
The rules of this game are permissive. Mystics are not explicitly mentioned to be able to use their ability whilst in a Chimera so as far as I am aware they cannot.
I'm fairly certain pretty much any "Within x" of the user" abilities work out of vehicles. Nurgle's Rot? Blood Chalice? And so on. I've always thought and played that Mystics are no exception, they simply have a random distance for that 'within' rule. There is precedent in FAQs for measuring such 'area of effects' from the vehicle itself.

However, working on units IN transports, rather than from inside one, is a much different matter. I'm looking at you, Doom of Malan'tai. :shifty:
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote