Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Developing a Grey Knights scenario
Old 17 Apr 2010, 06:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to DarkKnightCuron Send a message via MSN to DarkKnightCuron
Default Developing a Grey Knights scenario

I have several friends that like to play Chaos (Marines and/or Daemons), and I've had this collection of Grey Knights for awhile now. As such, I'm considering developing a scenario specifically to put these forces against each other, and I can't help but draw inspiration from the movie "300". I'm not sure if I'm going to collect a full 300 Grey Knights (good grief!), but a scenario similar to it would be awesome, in my opinion. However, I'm drawing a lot of blanks as to what all rules and terrain should be involved, so I'm looking to the folks here for ideas on it. Thoughts?

PS. This might not exactly go in this particular forum, but eh, I'll give it a shot.
Old 17 Apr 2010, 12:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Developing a Grey Knights scenario

Here's a few off the top of my head:

Dominance: The forces of Chaos are giving into it's inner rivalries.
2-4 Chaos sects are fighting amongst themselves, each representing a Dark God until a purge is pronounced. Basically 2 or more Chaos players fight with about 1k a piece against each other for 2-3 turns until the Grey Knights appear with 2k+ (depending on how many Chaos players there are). When that happens the dominant Chaos faction may take what ever points difference there is (rounding up) to make the Chaos/GK sides equal. At that point begin the standard 5 turn countdown for victory conditions. Declare winner via KPs. If Chaos manages to table the GKs then they resume fighting themselves until a winner appears.

Note this could be a big to massive game so a game larger than 3 players may need mega battles/Apoc rules.

Banishment: Grey Knights have come to banish a particular demon for the sake of reality. Nominate a demon HQ. If the HQ is killed before the game ends then the GKs wins. Happens even if the last unit is killed simultaneously with said target.

Note this is pretty similar to the Daemonhunters mission in their codex but a little more like assassination. Meant to be like games of old where GKs could still be wiped out (or near to it) & still win.

Reclaimation: Grey Knights are purifying a world slipping into the warp before its too late. If a GK unit can hold an objective, uncontested, without moving or shooting for a full turn, said objective is said to be purified. It counts as permanently held for the game. Only way for GKs to claim an objective. Any GK unit may reclaim. Objective held as normal by Chaos player, i.e. troops.

What do you think? What you're thinking of or am I completely off?

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Glory for the first man to die! CHARGE!
trex238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2010, 00:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Trux
Reclaimation: Grey Knights are purifying a world slipping into the warp before its too late. If a GK unit can hold an objective, uncontested, without moving or shooting for a full turn, said objective is said to be purified. It counts as permanently held for the game. Only way for GKs to claim an objective. Any GK unit may reclaim. Objective held as normal by Chaos player, i.e. troops.

What do you think? What you're thinking of or am I completely off?
I quite like the last scenario, the idea of forcing an opponent back, claiming an objective, then to keep on going. It appeals to me. Although, it's not really 300 esque...

I think to show the 300 scenario that you want to, think about what the spartans were doing. There were holding a vital point (objective) that was very easily defended, making the enemies high numbers useless.

So, the Grey Knights should have to hold a vital objective, and the terrain should be arranged heavily in there favour. Being Grey Knights there numbers will already be low, but perhaps some bonus points to the enemy to get a real 300 feel.

And remember the 300 Spartans didn't go to survive, it was mainly to buy time and course horrendous causalities, show them how spartans fight etc etc.

So victory conditions wouldn't have to just be based on holding an objective, it could also be how much of the enemy was wiped out before they finished you off. Number of Killpoints could change depending on units, HQ's and heavies worth more. That type of thing.

These are all mainly just idea's at the moment of the top of my head, I'll think about them and try and flesh out a proper scenario if you want.
lemon-green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2010, 00:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to ollieb8

You could have a scenerio where you have a single unit of rey Knight Terminators and an Inquistor with Sanctuary and that's it. You can arm the GKTs with whatever is applicable but the Inqusitor is only allowed to use Sanctuary every turn, but gains some sort of bonus to it so that he is likely to cast it.

Then you send an army of Khorne Daemons (or daemons with no form of shooting attack) and surround the GKTs. This would represent the fact that they are immune to shooting (because of the shields) and that they can basically destroy any attackers (taking no damage themselves).

Then, every other wave (or something) you could say that the elites attack and deny the GKT player from using Sanctuary as this wave of enemies (probably smaller) can actually hurt the GKTs.

Finally, to represent the betrayal of the Spartans, eventually you could stop the GKT player from using Sanctuary at all and slowly swamp the GKTs with daemons and see how long they can last.

Hope it helps!
[spoiler=40K Clones]Wanna play as clones in 40K?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
I'm amazed at how balanced this is. I salute you.
[/spoiler]
ollieb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2010, 00:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

You could have the GKs, say 30 GKs, and on turn 4 you could have some Space Marine Reseves arrive, IF there are some GKs left on the objectives.

Might represent the Spartans that eventually follow the 300.

Spectres idea sounds cooler though. ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2010, 00:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Sounds like one of the Necron Missions from the Battle Missions books. Three objectives, and once a unit has stopped withing 3" of one, they count as capturing it. Enemy units can re-capture it. Once captured you can abandon it.

The 'Defeat the Daemonhost' missions from the codex can still work, but I feel the victory conditions are a little one sided. Very hard for the defending player to win. The other mission could work as well. I don't see the Daemon Hunters as a 300esqu force. They are very objective oriented, and are generally not units who hold objectives, as much as take them, or attempt to neutralize something. The list in the Codex about 'reasons deamon hunters would fight X' can be good inspiration for missions too.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2010, 09:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

To quote the codex.

"They're chaos, what more reason do they need?"
Old 20 Apr 2010, 17:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to DarkKnightCuron Send a message via MSN to DarkKnightCuron

Hm, actually, we could develop the 300 scenario very well. I don't know if I could literally find 300 Grey Knight models but...

Say its one of Abaddon's Black Crusade. Let's say its the 13th and latest one, and the Grey Knights are currently on Cadia, doing everything possible to stem the tide against the daemonic foe. While you would have Guardsmen allies as fire support, the heavy lifting would be by the Grey Knights themselves. Sound viable?
Old 21 Apr 2010, 02:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindgobble Witherfume
Sounds like one of the Necron Missions from the Battle Missions books. Three objectives, and once a unit has stopped withing 3" of one, they count as capturing it. Enemy units can re-capture it. Once captured you can abandon it.
Really? Sounds like DoW 1. I might have to look up BM. I got the idea of the last scenario of the GK Redeemer Force. Having 6 GK sarges at an objective makes it cancel demon saves. Figured it could count for objective holding instead.

The Cadia/GK force sounds incredibly fluffy & could make for a mean list. Torrents of fire & CC awesomeness makes for a lot of pain. Out of curiosity where are you from Curon? I'm thinking about selling my GKs.

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Glory for the first man to die! CHARGE!
trex238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2010, 18:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Trux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindgobble Witherfume
Really? Sounds like DoW 1. I might have to look up BM. I got the idea of the last scenario of the GK Redeemer Force. Having 6 GK sarges at an objective makes it cancel demon saves. Figured it could count for objective holding instead.

The Cadia/GK force sounds incredibly fluffy & could make for a mean list. Torrents of fire & CC awesomeness makes for a lot of pain. Out of curiosity where are you from Curon? I'm thinking about selling my GKs.
My thoughts exactly.

I also live in the Missouri area (Warrensburg)