Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sisters of Battle Club tournament blog
Old 27 Oct 2008, 19:58   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Sisters of Battle Club tournament blog

Well, I guess I will be doing a tournament blog of sorts so that I can keep track of all my battles for this tournament.

I am now currently in a Club league tournament that is meant for those players that are not able to make it through to the semi-finals for the last tournament and/or are newbies. It is essentially a normal tournament with a rather unique rule; you may make up to three variants of your lists (can be as divergent as you can) and you need to fight with 3 players from your same grouping for the course over a month and a half. Hence it is a much more tougher tournament to go about as one does not know what the other party is going to bring upon the table and also having the endurance to go through the tournament for a month or more.

Sounds like a tailoring tournament? Actually truth to be told, there are so many opponents with many different and diverse armies, and also the fact that we are randomly put into random groupings, the obvious metagame that most of the vets noticed is making out balanced forces where one can adapt to the randomly changing armies and suffer not the penalties of becoming too specialized against our opponents.

For this particular tournament, I decided to put my normal tournament army (the Tau) into the shelve as they are becoming rather predictable since more and more Tau players are going Mechanized, hence the advantages of having a Mechanized tau army is gone. Thus with this I decided to bring something new to the tournament and I am torn between my Mechanized Death Guard and Mechanized Sisters of Battle. After some consideration, I decided to try out my as of yet untested Mechanized Sisters of Battle in this tournament. The reasons for me to chose this army over my Death Guard after some considerations is because of these few points;

1) They are able to put the pressure upon my opponents and thus forcing them to follow my tempo, as they are a much more aggressive force to play with.

2) They are relatively unknown in my tournament field, thus ensuring that I am in a more superior position when it comes to them trying to make lists to fight against my armies, as they do not know what makes SOBs the force they are.

3) The Acts of faith can be used to help me in any situation even in Annihilation missions, as they will have to think between killing of my units and strengthening my endgame, or sparing them and me taking the initiative and punishing their units with the acts of faith.

4) They are generally all rounded as compared to my Tau and Death Guard, and have a much more faster reaction time than that of my Death Guard against sudden maneuvers of my opponents.

5)They are generally stronger than my Death Guard due to the number of models I can bring on the table, and also have a far more numerous and diverse weapon choices that I can use as compared to my Death Guard that are both unique and powerful.

Thus with this arguments, I brought them out from the shelf after two years of and immediately putting them on the table in their first ever game. Suffice to say, after the random draw I am grouped into a group with a diverse range of races to fight against and they are;

1)Daemonhunters-based Inquisition army

2)Tyranids

3)Tau

My grouping is unique as compared to the other commonly found armies that I see in the tournament (Orks, Eldar and Marines), I am facing against many of the uncommon armies in the tournaments (tyranids and tau) or are entirely rare in my area (notably the Inquisition army) and each have their own unique playstyle.

So with this I enter into one of my most unique tournaments yet.

MATCH 1: Mechanized Sisters of Battle Vs Hybrid Daemonhunters

This match is perhaps one of the most unique matches in the whole tournament as two of the rarest armies in my country faced up against each other, and also made history as the first Inquisition vs Inquisition Battle in my gaming store.

The mission that we rolled up is a Capture and Control with the Pitched battle Deployment style. My opponent decided to go first, and asked me to go second.

The list that I used;
Quote:
HQ
Canoness
Jump Pack
Cloak of St.Aspira
Blessed weapon
Inferno pistol
Frag Grenades
Meltabombs

Total: 136 pts

Canoness
Jump Pack
Cloak of St.Aspira
Eviscerator
Inferno pistol
Frag Grenades

Total: 126 pts

Elites
1. Inquisitor
- Psychic Hood
- Close Combat weapon
- Bolt Pistol
-Frag grenades

Total: 43 pts

2. Callidus
Total: 120 pts

Troop
1. Sisters in Rhino
Veteran Superior with Eviscerator and Book of St. Lucius
7 x Sisters
1 x Sister with flamer
1 x Sister with Heavy Flamer

Rhino with Smoke Launchers and Extra armour

Total pts: 230 pts

2. Sisters in Rhino
7 x Sisters
1 x Sister with flamer

3. Sisters in Rhino
7 x Sisters
1 x Sister with flamer

Fast Attack
1. Seraphims
1 x Sister superior
3 x Seraphim
2 x Seraphim with Inferno pistol

total points: 162 pts

2. Seraphims
1 x Sister superior
3 x Seraphim
2 x Seraphim with Inferno pistol

total points: 162 pts

Heavy Support
1. Exorcist
Exorcist Launcher
Extra armour

total Points: 140 pts

2. Exorcist
Exorcist Launcher
Extra armour

3. Exorcist
Exorcist Launcher
Extra armour

As for my opponent, he used a list that looks something like this;

1 Grand Master with a retinue of 4 GK termies in a Land Raider
1 Inquisitor attached to one of the mounted Inquisitional Storm troopers squad
1 Eversor Assasin
2 squads of mounted Inquisitional Storm troopers with meltas and flamers
2 squads of footslogging Storm Troopers with plasmaguns
2 Squads of Grey Knights
2 Grey Knights Dreadnought with assault cannon and Dreadnought close-combat weapon

The Game:

First Turn
Inquisition
He deployed his Eversor via Infltrating rules, and after that begins to move his units to come in closer to my units. The eversor then managed to charge one of my Rhinos, and destroying its weapon during the process.

SOB
With my Seraphims and Callidus in reserve, I maneuvered my Exorcists to better firing positions and my other units to move forward and deployed one of the Battle sister squad squads out to shoot at the eversor. Within the first turn, the Eversor is dead, and I managed to kill a rhino and also a Dreadnought, and with the resulting explosion killed off 2 Storm troopers and also two grey Knights. The Inquisitor was wounded.

Turn 2
Inquisition
He proceed to marched on and proceed to try and kill my exorcists, but to no avail.

SOB
I proceed to move on towards his objective, and I managed to shaken the Land Raider and also destroy another Rhino, killing three more Storm Troopers in the process. The Callidus managed to come in in this turn, but was unable to reach the storm troopers that are guarding the Objective and assault them. The Canoness with the Eviscerator tried to charge the Dreanought and kill it, but fails in her attempt.

Turn 3
Inquisition
He continues on moving towards my objective, and in his shooting phase managed to destroy one of my Exorcists and also immobilizing one of my rhinos. In addition, in the assault phase, he managed to kill my Canoness with the Eviscerator and also my Callidus via brutal assault for the former and vicious shooting for the latter.

SOB
I proceed on to move my remaining marching rhino and also troops from the Immobilized rhino towards the terrain where the objective is held, but it became immobilized in the terrain. For my shooting I did not do so well, only managing to flame the entire squad of dismounted Storm Trooper and their Inquisitor. My serpahims arrived in this turn to shoot at the land raider, successfully immobilizing it and causing one of its lascannons to be destroyed.

Turn 4
Inquisition
His foot storm troopers that are guarding the objectives attempts to fire at the squad of Sisters and but are unable to kill even a single one of them due to the properly timed casting of the Faith known as the Spirit of the Martyr.His Grey Knights (Termies and also Marines) proceed to charge at my other Battle sister squad, winning two close combat and losing one. But due to the resolute will of his Marines (Fearless), he is able to stick into combat for a while longer.

SOB
My second Canoness proceeds to fly towards the objective, while my Sisters of Battle move in to shoot one of the Storm Troopers squad that is near the objective. My Exorcists also position themselves to kill the now vulnerable GK termies and also Land Raider. In the shooting phase I managed to kill off one entire squad of Storm Troopers with the intense flaming by my Battle sister squad. My Canoness then proceeds on to charge at the remaining storm trooper squad that is near the objective and made short work of them. As for the Sister squad that is locked in combat with the Grey Knight, they managed to kill the entire squad out and proceed to maneuver themselves towards the incoming Grey Knights.

Turn 5
Inquisition
With time running out, His remaining troops attempt to go back to his objective while his Terminators attempt to get closer to my objective. During the shooting phase, he kills one of the Rhinos and also one more exorcist via Assault Cannon for the former and lascannon for the latter. One of his Grey Knight squad managed to get close to the objective.

SOB
With this being the potential last turn, I tried to move the Battle sister squad that is closer to the objective towards the objective but they are unable to get within 3" of the objective. My Canoness then flies towards the Objective, intend on stalling the Grey Knights. While then, I finally disembarked my last remaining sister squads from their Rhinos and marched on towards the GK termies while trying to mantain a 3" distance from the Objective. The Sister squad that won close combat the turn before also closes in upon the Termies. In the shooting phase, with the combined forces of two Battle Sister squad and an exorcists, I managed to whittle down the Termies down to a man, with the grand master dying via Exorcist missile.

In the Assault Phase, I assaulted my Canoness into the Grey Knights, and managed to win combat. but due to their fearlessness they are able to hold their ground, and the canoness contesting the objective with them..

After all that fighting, my opponent the roll the die to see if we have additional rounds, and the roll comes down to a....2. And with that the game ends with the Sisters of Battle Capturing one objective, while contesting another objective.

Hindsight
My opponent have done some mistakes which are;

1) choosing to go first in a night fight scenario

2) Attempting to rush all his forces towards my objective without anticipating the maneuveribility of my forces

But yet he is able to pull of a tie if my Canoness is unable to reach the Grey Knights controlling the objective, and maybe a win if the game drags on further as his lone Terminator can proceed to charge the Sister squad that is controlling my objectiveand contesting it, while he can shoot my Canoness to death.

But that saying I also did some mistakes and the most dire of the all are these few;

1)Accidentally nominating the wrong faith the the wrong squad - I chose the wrong faith for some of the squad while another squad needs it more.

2)Not using the Callidus to the fullest extend: I forgotten totally about the "word in the Ear" rule, and also in my arrogance did not attempt to flame the Storm troopers near the opbjective, believing that I can charge them soo after that. Suffice to say, the dice roll gets the better of me and that mistake causes her demise.

3) Being a little too confident about faith and believing that I can always get the faith all the time. I was wrong and that killed the Canoness with the Eviscerator.

But nevertheless even with these mistakes, my basic battle plan works and with proper selection of targets to kill, I managed to kill off almost every force that attempts to try to get to my objective.

And now with my first official battle with my Sisters of Battle in 5th edition, I am ready to face my other opponents. I will report my battles once I am done with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2008, 05:39   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Sisters of Battle Club tournament blog

Quote:
My grouping is unique as compared to the other commonly found armies that I see in the tournament (Orks, Eldar and Marines), I am facing against many of the uncommon armies in the tournaments (tyranids and tau) or are entirely rare in my area (notably the Inquisition army) and each have their own unique playstyle.
Oh, you lucky bastard..... I get the most common army; Eldar. THREE of them in my group @_@

Quote:
...you may make up to three variants of your lists...
Richard needs to write these stuff down :S

Quote:
Sounds like a tailoring tournament? Actually truth to be told, there are so many opponents with many different and diverse armies, and also the fact that we are randomly put into random groupings, the obvious metagame that most of the vets noticed is making out balanced forces where one can adapt to the randomly changing armies and suffer not the penalties of becoming too specialized against our opponents.
Meh, those 2 other Eldar are tailoring against me. My answer; a different version of the Imperial Guard e.g. SIGAFH and Drop Troops >

Nice to see you did well even if you did some minor mistakes :P Good luck to you and the Emperor protects!
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2008, 19:21   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Sisters of Battle Club tournament blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Nice to see you did well even if you did some minor mistakes :P Good luck to you and the Emperor protects!
I have to see who is my next opponent. It is either the Tau player or the Tyranid player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote