Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

are daemon hunters good enough at daemon hunting?
Old 11 Feb 2008, 17:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default are daemon hunters good enough at daemon hunting?

I don't play daemon hunters, but i borrowed a friends codex and looked at the advantages against daemon hunters. I saw lots of the benefits against daemons. They were good, not great. I'm also surprised that they don't get preferred enemy special rule against daemons.

And then it gets worse. Daemons get the special rule, living tide or something like that. i have seen recently a Daemons vs grey knight game. The grey knights got beaten. Really badly. A unit of grey knight terminators chargers a unit of lesser daemon,s but then got overwhelmed and died. I just don't understand.

I am getting this wrong, but does the codex need a little review. I don't think it stresses DAEMON hunters enough

C:\Users\Samuel\Pictures\SINDRI.jpg
fattyboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2008, 17:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: are daemon hunters good enough at daemon hunting?

The thing is, instability is gone...for now.

So your next weapons of choice ignore their inv saves...ok, but not great

but their close combat weapons...they could contend with the toughness of nurgle, and thats something.

Fluff for fluff they are the guys you want, game wise most things could put down lesser and greater extents of daemons. Given the right targeting,

pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2008, 18:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Grimoire of true names, Sacred Incense and a few of the psychic powers are pretty good against demons. Just as stock they are just hard-core space marines (though, they do casue demons to have a hard time charging them.

The thing is, they are not a close combat army. Their firepower is a lot more powerful then their melee is and once the enemy units are weakened from psycannons and Stormbolters, then you can charge.

Also, the DH codex came out, before the 'preferred enemy' rules existed.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2008, 16:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindgobble Witherfume
The thing is, they are not a close combat army.
:sadnshocked: WS 5 and Strength 6 begs to differ with you. Sure, they'll do better if you shoot the enemy first, but so does every other close combat army.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 22:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyCool
Quote:
The thing is, they are not a close combat army.
:sadnshocked: WS 5 and Strength 6 begs to differ with you. Sure, they'll do better if you shoot the enemy first, but so does every other close combat army.
Don't get me wrong, they are not bad at it. But they are best at counter assault. In My opinion, their best strength is their mobile firepower, then moving in for the kill in the later turns of the game.
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 13 Feb 2008, 23:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, they are not bad at it.
I daresay you won't find many that are better at it than they are. The real problem they seem to have is with models on the field. They are often outnumbered to the point where it can be difficult to achieve victory (if you are playing Grey Knights exclusively). And in a close combat, numbers wind up being more important than combat prowess. When your Tyranid opponent can get 4-5 spinegaunts for each of your Grey Knight marines, you are going to have a difficult time.
Old 14 Feb 2008, 03:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyCool
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, they are not bad at it.
I daresay you won't find many that are better at it than they are. The real problem they seem to have is with models on the field. They are often outnumbered to the point where it can be difficult to achieve victory (if you are playing Grey Knights exclusively). And in a close combat, numbers wind up being more important than combat prowess. When your Tyranid opponent can get 4-5 spinegaunts for each of your Grey Knight marines, you are going to have a difficult time.
Exacly, thats why you stand back and fire two Stormbolter shots each model, with AP4 Psycannon bolts and keep moving away from them. Once they don't have a numerical superiority, go for the charge. I much prefer to sit back at the table egde with as many psycannons as I have and just blast 'em with S6AP4 shots. I don't care if they charge me, but they will be hurting once they get into 24" range (hell at 36" they will already be taking at least 20 S6 shots)

Then, if they do get to you, You should still be in pretty goos shape, while they are weakened. Then you can mop up what lives, with your S6 and WS5.
Sigged.
~Friedrich Nietzsche