Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Rules FAQ - Post Rules Questions Here
Old 09 Nov 2005, 21:08   #21 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Rules FAQ - Post Rules Questions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolis
A rule clarification: Can an Inquisitor without a retinue take a dedicated transport choice? i think the anser is a no but I am not sure. I mean, an independent Inq. Lord cant have a Land Raider, can he?
But then again the LORD must have a retinue :-)
Old 27 Nov 2005, 13:30   #22 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Daemonhunter Rules FAQ - Read here before posting!

for the second ? asked i think you can have a psycannon with a justicar but it cost X points.

[Edit :: Removed long quote. Not neccessary in a FAQ... --Mal]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
Now as for your comment; Read the armoury rules of page 16 in your codex. It specifically states that Grey Knights in power armor (this includes Justicars!) may NOT upgrade their weapons. A Psycannon is a weapon. Therefore, you may not buy one for him.

Please take the time to read the Answers here carefully as they have references, which you should check, before posting.
Old 28 Jan 2006, 22:44   #23 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Since I am currently experimenting with using Witch Hunters as allies, here is a question that I cannot seem to find the answer to (although I may be looking in the wrong place):

If you take Sisters of Battle as allies, and these units would normally be faithful and generate faith points, do they get to use them?

I would guess no because Space Marines and Imperial Guard are not allowed to use their special abilities (chapter specific abilities and doctrines, respectively) when they are fielded as allies, but I'd like an expert's opinion.
Old 29 Jan 2006, 06:11   #24 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Q: "Can the Faithful units of the Witch Hunters use their Faith while taken as an ally to another Imperial Force?"

A: Yes!

This was addressed in the official V4 FAQ:

Faith points:

"A Witch Hunter army that includes..." should read "An army that includes..."

So yes, you may use Faith in non-Witch Hunter armies all the same

Source: Latest FAQ

Old 29 Jan 2006, 14:12   #25 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

WHOOHOOO!

Well, that changes everything. Thanks Mal!
Old 01 Feb 2006, 18:44   #26 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Throwing curveballs here. This was hashed out over at Warpshadow a tyranid board, but I'll ask here:

How does The Adpeta Sorita rules interact with tyranid hive powers? Specifically Psyhic scream.

Tyranid book states:

"Only those powers which require a Psychic test to use may be cancelled by enemy psykers and wargear."[CT:31]

Sisters are neither psyker or wargear.

ALSO, in regards to say, psyhic scream(continuous) how often do you attempt a 5+ save?

Once a game?
Once a turn?
Once a phase?
Each and every time affected?

And do you roll for say 3 units affected in one go, or do you roll for each squad seperately?

THEN how long does it stay negated?

Here's their thoughts:And this will be entered into the Warpshadow.com FAQ unless we decide differently here...

"Psychic Powers targeted against any unit or character with the Adepta Sororitas special rule, or including them in its area of effect, are nullified and will not work on a d6 roll of 5+ (roll once for each power, even if it affects several Adepta Sororitas units)."

Q: Would this affect / nullifyCatalyst?
WA: No, as the Mind Power is not targeted against nor does it directly affect the Sororitas unit.
Q: Would this affect / nullifyThe Horror?
WA: Yes, this Mind Power effectively targets the assaulting unit.
Q: Would this affect / nullifyPsychic Scream?
WA: Yes, when this power includes the Sororitas unit in the area of effect.
Q: Would this affect / nullify The Shadow in the Warp?
WA: No, because none of the Adeptus Sororitas are Psykers. Of course, this means that TSitW has no effect on them.
Q: Would this affect / nullify Synapse?
WA: No, as the power is not targeted against nor does it directly affect the Sororitas unit
Q: Would this affect / nullify Warp Blast?
WA: Yes, as the Power directly targets the Sororitas unit.
Q: Would this affect / nullify Warp Field?
WA: No, as the Mind Power is not targeted against nor does it directly affect the Sororitas unit.

carmachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2006, 22:17   #27 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Carmachu,

Good questions all around. The problem is, it's always a grey area with GW since they never compare all the rules they generate with all the other rules, and then look for problems that exist between the two due to poor wording choices (each one having different wording). So we're left in the wake, confused and looking for answers. Anyhow, here's my opinion:

Note: Since Shield of Faith is neither "enemy psykers" nor "wargear" but rather Shield of Faith is a Special Rule, we have a problem due to the Tyranid Hive Mind rules stating that they're only canceled if they require psychic tests. This means, Witch Hunter players will opt to use their special rules more often, while the Tyranid player will state that it is written clearly what can effect them and what cannot. It is obvious that GW did not think of other armie's special rules when they made the Tyranid codex's rules on psychic powers (namely: the Witch Hunters). For this, I favor the rules which make the most sense--the Tyranid codex may not state "special rules" as Wargear or Enemy Psykers are stated, but I would assume that they are included because it's a standard. However, I will include both options since it will no doubt come up. However, in the spirit of things, I would hope that the Adepta Sororitas rules would be superior in this case, becuase of the idea of the "anti-psychic" theme that they carry. It just makes sense. Unfortunately wording is against us and confusing in all directions.

Q: "How does Shield of Faith interact with the Tyranid Hive Mind Power Psychic Scream?"

A: Tyranid Hive Mind Powers are Major psychic powers and those which require a psychic test, can be canceled by Adepta Sororitas models with Shield of Faith. Psychic Scream does not require a test, and therefore cannot be ignored via Shield of Faith (on the same logic that we cannot ignore Warp Fields, which are also Hive Mind Powers that do not require tests, but grant 2+/6+ saves). Normally we could ignore them, due to being included in an area of effect, however the Tyranid Codex clearly states that they may not be ignored unless they require a psychic test.

Q: "How often may I use my Shield of Faith against Psychic Scream?"

A: Actively, you should not be using Shield of Faith to counter Psychic Scream. However, if you are playing that you can counter the effect, then you may counter the effect at any time that they are actively effected by it (meaning, when they are called to take a leadership test).

Q: "Do I roll Shield of Faith separately, or all at once?"

A: Each roll should be separate. Separate units are separate after all.

Q: "How long does a power remain negated that is continuous?"

A: Again, this should not even be happening. However, if you are playing that it does happen, then the power should be nullified until your unit is actively effected again (ie: called upon to make yet another leadership test).

Q: "Which Hive Mind Powers are effected by Shield of Faith?"

A:

Catalyst - Not effected by Shield of Faith; it targets Tyranid units, not Adepta Sororitas (this one is clear).

The Horror - There is no psychic test, therefore it cannot be ignored. However, if you are playing that you may nullify it on the other hand, then it will be up to you and your opponent and who can convince who. However, consider that this ability does not actively target nor include any unit in its area of effect, which further supports the Tyranid side of things.

Psychic Scream - There is no psychic test; therefore we cannot ignore it. However, if you are playing in a manner that you may nullify it, then it should be rolled for when it actively effects the unit in question (each time).

The Shadow of the Warp - It does not effect Adepta Sororitas; therefore no.

Synapse Creature - No. There is no psychic test, and further, there is no targets or area of effects actively taking place against the Adepta Sororitas.

Warp Blast - There is no psychic test for the first power; therefore, technically we cannot ignore it. However, it's obvious that the 2nd, the higher power, requires a test and we may ignore it. On the flip side of things, someone may argue that both target the Sisters and may be ignored with Shield of Faith, but this will be up to those two players, as the rules in the codex clearly state that they may not be ignored if they do not require a test (see again: Grey Area).

Warp Field - There is no test; it does not target Adeptas Sororitas. Therefore, no.

--- Again, due to there being conflicts in wording, those are simply my opinions. Others will no doubt think differently, perhaps more in favor of the Sisters. The Shield of Faith only effects things that target them or include them in the area of effect. If we keep that in mind, and only that, then the Sisters could use their Shield of Faith very often against many of these powers. However, the Hive Mind Powers state that they cannot be canceled unless a psychic test was required. It's evident that the Shield of Faith is a special rule, and it's not listed in the Tyranid codex, therefore the Shield of Faith, again, should technically work against many of the above powers, even the ones that do not require psychic tests. However, I do not see this as a purposeful "left out" kind of thing, but more what GW is known for, which is "forgot to mention it." Because of that history, I tend to assume that there was a spirit of keeping a standard, which would have included all sources which may nullify psychic powers, "psykers" and "wargear" is pretty vague in an of itself after all.

Cheers!
Old 03 Feb 2006, 11:58   #28 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
If we keep that in mind, and only that, then the Sisters could use their Shield of Faith very often against many of these powers. However, the Hive Mind Powers state that they cannot be canceled unless a psychic test was required
Disagree, but until GW decides to clarify, each his own. I tend to use the tyranid's own book of "psycher or wargear" and since its sheild of faith is neither.....but only on things that either target or include in area effect.

*shrug* But thats just me.
carmachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2006, 16:02   #29 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to shortgoth Send a message via Yahoo to shortgoth

By-the-by, Chapter Approved rules for the "Zealots" in the UK White Dwarf is #304, page 55.
shortgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2006, 13:38   #30 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to HraTaika

If I upgrade my Seraphim squad to have a Veteran Sister Superior, does the unit confer me with 2 faith points?
Loss: 112
Total: 488 games

Though I walk through the Valley of Shadow and Death, I fear no evil.
HraTaika is offline   Reply With Quote