Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Rules FAQ - Post Rules Questions Here
Old 08 Apr 2005, 01:49   #11 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Rules FAQ - Post Rules Questions Here

The Shrouding is not a psychic effect that the sister's Shield of Faith can ignore or see through. However, a unit with a psyker can re-roll their dice when testing for seeing through the shrouding (sisters may not do this, though an Inquisitor can!). So our Inquisitors can re-roll the dice to see through the Shrouding, but not our Sisters.

The Shrouding is not a psychic effect in terms of "rules" that govern pcychic abilities I'm afraid.

Sister's ignore psychic attackson a 5+ and are out-right immune to minor psychic powers.

Tyranids are psykers in terms of fluff really, as they use psychic powers. Zoanthropes for example have "warp field" and can buy other psychic powers. Even though they are not termed as "psychers."

Ok here's the Tyranid bit:

Q: Are any of the Tyranids in the codex a "psyker" in terms of rules that effect "psykers"
A: All Synapse creatures are considered to be "psykers" and can be affected by rules that effect "psykers."

Q: Powers such as "The Horror," can they be nullified by abilities that nullify psychic effects that include them in the area of effect? For example, the Adepta Sororitas Shield of Faith - can this block The Horror on a 5+?
A: The only Tyranid powers that can be nullfied are those that require a psychic test. So, the horror could not be nullified.

Old 27 Apr 2005, 12:26   #12 (permalink)
Shas'O

Q: Where can I find the rules for Zealots to add to my Witch Hunters army?

A: Zealots are Chapter Approved as of US White Dwarf 292, Page 82. Also, in UK White Dwarf is #304, page 55.

[size=7pt]Thanks to ShortGoth for supplying the UK volume.[/size]
Old 10 May 2005, 02:31   #13 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Daemonhunter Rules FAQ - Read here before posting!

Before asking specific Questions, please refer to the latest official FAQs and updates from Games-Workshop:
[sup]These FAQs can be found at GW's Chapter Approved Site[/sup]

[size=12pt]Please search through these Q&A before posting your Question![/size]
  • The search feature works very well, otherwise, "CTRL+F" is the standard keyboard shortcut to quickly search just this document for your keywords. If you don't use your keyboard, this feature is found in most browsers under the "Edit" tab.

Also - there is no stupid question, so if something escapes you and it's not already answered, please feel free to ask it, no matter how trivial it may seem!
Old 10 May 2005, 02:34   #14 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Daemonhunter Rules FAQ - Read here before posting!

Q: Do the Assault Cannons in the Daemonhunters codex follow the same rules as the new assault cannons for the Space Marines?

A: Officially, in terms of FAQs, no, however with the new codex and rulebook it's entirely possible to convince most that it's true (it just makes sense). However, we do have word from GW in a non-official manner that says yes: Here (Thanks to Jhrovii for finding this)

[hr]

Q: Can my Justicar take a psycannon?

A: No, sorry. Although the FAQ states that “Justicars/GK Heros” can take wargear from the Daemonhunters armory, that doesn’t include weapons. GW has been consulted many times by a lot of different people, and the majority answer is that Justicars may only have the Nemesis Force Weapon/Stormbolter combo. Don’t be so sad though, that means you have a high-S power weapon guarding your heavy weapon squad! Reference page 16 of the Armory where it specifically states that grey knights in power armor cannot take weapons from the armory.

Q: Can I ever get Grey Knight AND Space Marines in the same army?

A: In fact, yes! A base-SM army is allowed to induct DH allies (including GK), as long as they follow the rules on DH codex page 21. See the sections on Army Building for more details on how to use them.

Q: Should the rules for teleport homers from Space Marine codex replace the rules for teleport homers in all other codexes (i.e. Daemonhunters, Chaos)

A: Yes

Q: More of the cross referencing, also with the stormshield (and the identically working Presidium Protectiva).

A: Yes

(Thanks to Jhrovii for providing this!)
Old 12 May 2005, 20:45   #15 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Here's a good question I found somewhere in the net:

" If my Arco are at 4" of the ennemy at the start of my turn and I decide to inject the stimms and charge the opponent (which obviously is the nearest), do I have to roll the extra d6 that could kill some of them?"

I guess not. Am I right?
Old 12 May 2005, 23:04   #16 (permalink)
Shas'O

Q: - Once I activate my Acro-Flagellants, do I have to always roll for Holy Rage even if I don't want to?

A: - Yes, you must always roll for the extra movement and travel towards the nearest enemy unit and assault if possible. Just because the unit you're destined to assault is only 4 inches away doesn't mean you can skip rolling to avoid the possibility of losing an Arco to the 6.
Old 08 Nov 2005, 01:43   #17 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Grey Knights and Witchhunters

This may be a dumb question, but I've looked through the codex and the FAQ and cannot find a proper answer (of course I may be looking in the wrong place or just plain blind).

Assume that you are fielding a Witchhunter army. It iis composed of Sisters of Battle and other elements from the Witchhunter army list (I.G. for example), and you have fulfilled all mandatory rules to allow you to take allies. Can you take Grey Knights as allies?

I know that Sisters and Space Marines are not supposed to be in the same army build, but do Grey Knights fall under this rule or not? Obviously they are Space Marines, but they also fall under Daemonhunters.
Old 08 Nov 2005, 12:45   #18 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Grey Knights and Witchhunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchilde
This may be a dumb question, but I've looked through the codex and the FAQ and cannot find a proper answer (of course I may be looking in the wrong place or just plain blind).

Assume that you are fielding a Witchhunter army. It iis composed of Sisters of Battle and other elements from the Witchhunter army list (I.G. for example), and you have fulfilled all mandatory rules to allow you to take allies. Can you take Grey Knights as allies?

I know that Sisters and Space Marines are not supposed to be in the same army build, but do Grey Knights fall under this rule or not? Obviously they are Space Marines, but they also fall under Daemonhunters.
Excellent Question.

A: We don't really know.

Unfortunately, GW never gave us well worded material or explanations on just how exactly inducted allies work in relation to normal allies. They bothered to name them separately, but didn't bother to explain to us the difference. Also, no FAQ gave us anymore information. For a long time, due to wording and what's in the codex, and how many tournaments were run, in many tournaments where allies were not possible (due to rules) the DH could still bring their inducted allies, because they weren't true allies, they were codex units and part of the army. This kept with people for a long time. Then as more Ordos came out, people kept up with it. Then, we get the problem of, what happens if we induct but also want to take an ally? Inducted allies are part of the army, yet it states we may always take another Ordos as a normal ally, not as an inducted member and since both are separate, they seemed to work well together.

Now more specifically, the Daemonhunter codex was never updated properly in their ally texts, due to them being the first Ordos codex. It states they may not ally with a detachment that takes other allies and the Kroot mercs are the example, however, it then further shows that it's totally ok to ally with any Ordos, yet all the Ordos have the option of taking other allies (inducted armies). So that also causes the problems of "what are inducted allies in terms of allies?"

I checked with people at GW and it seems to fall both ways. No one can give a truly straight answer and GW hasn't addressed it for years. To be 100% safe, we could say that inducted allies mean we have an ally and therefore cannot take another. That would mean, we could only have our parent list army and the inducted force, or the allied Ordos force (such as Daemonhunters). But it's also possible to read into it and think that you can have inducted allies regardless, as they are part of the armies, and that normal allies are separate, since they are separate entries. And so people fall back and forth on the subject.

Now, concretely you can indeed have Sisters and Grey Knights together; All Ordos ally no problems at all and Grey Knights are not marines at all nor are they an archtype or subtype either. They're not related to marines in any way (compared to say Space Wolves, Dark Angels, etc). They are totally separate from space marines.

So, we have:

100% Known:

Witch Hunters with allied Daemonhunters (including Grey Knights) with no complications

Non-100% Known:

Witch Hunters with inducted Guard Ally with allied Ordos (Daemonhunters) - Possible Complications (but still played in many places)

[size=12pt]Update: The Daemonhunter FAQ specifically states that the Daemonhunter may not be ally with any other detachment that uses any other ally. There are no exceptions here, no and, if's or buts. It's very unfortunate, but the Daemonhunter FAQ is explicit. This makes it not possible to have a Witch Hunter army, with inducted allies and allied Grey Knights (or Daemonhunters at all).[/size]
Old 09 Nov 2005, 20:12   #19 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

A rule clarification: Can an Inquisitor without a retinue take a dedicated transport choice? i think the anser is a no but I am not sure. I mean, an independent Inq. Lord cant have a Land Raider, can he?
Old 09 Nov 2005, 21:14   #20 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolis
A rule clarification: Can an Inquisitor without a retinue take a dedicated transport choice? i think the anser is a no but I am not sure. I mean, an independent Inq. Lord cant have a Land Raider, can he?
Q:

If you read within the box that offers the transport options and retinue options, you will find that:

"...if the Inquisitor has a retinue... they may be mounted in...."

So in short - No; you are required to buy a retinue before you can buy a Transport.