Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Land Raider/Crusader
Closed Thread
Old 29 Dec 2006, 00:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Land Raider/Crusader

Are the Land Raider and Land Raider Crusader worth taking in a 1,500-2,000 point game? I'm just asking, becuse a big, tough tank would be pretty nice to have in my daemonhunter army (especially transporting too) and I just wanted to know if it were worth the points. I'm usually up against Imperial Guard, and the Hurricane Bolter combo would be great at mowing down those pesky guardsmen...

A question on 'Hurricane' bolters: Since each counts as 3 Twin-Linked heavy bolters, would they each be 36" S 5 AP 4 Heavy 9? I'm kind of confused with GW's poor wording...
Old 29 Dec 2006, 01:06   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Stella Cadente
Default Re: Land Raider/Crusader

They are not 3 twin linked heavy bolters, It is clearly stated that they count as 3 twin linked Bolters, so enemy at:

24" you would get 6 bolter shots, re-rolling misses
12" you would get 12 shots re-rolling misses

and in a 2000pts army I reckon they are worth it, but the normal Land raider is not worth anything
Old 29 Dec 2006, 01:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yar, Stella's right. Three normal Bolters, not Heavy Bolters. So:

6 Bolter shots~24", re-roll misses.
12 Bolter shots~12" (Rapid Fire), re-roll misses.

[size=12pt]Part deleted, 'cuz it was stupid. Very, very stupid. I need to stop staying up sooo late.~[/size]
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 01:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ohhh, I musta mis-read it.

So you'd recommend a Land Raider Crusader? That's good (in my mind) since I like the idea of a heavy tank in my army (dreadnoughts die in a second, and straight 14 AV is something to be reckoned with...)
Old 29 Dec 2006, 02:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Muffinator (1shot1kill)
So you'd recommend a Land Raider Crusader?
Not recommendin'. Just sayin' they're good. In a decently large game, go ahead. Never take a Land Raider, in any form, in a game of less then 1000 points, though.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 02:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Sure thing ;D Thanks
Old 29 Dec 2006, 05:26   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to AceKng1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastMaster
As for taking Grey Knight Land Raiders, they're the only kind of Land Raider you'd ever see me taking. Normal Land Raiders are just plain horrible. They usually cost about a fourth of your army, and die way too easily, but Grey Knight Land Raiders are pretty good. They've got an incredible assault capacity; able to take a bit more shots then their non-GK brethren, and they have a ton of short-medium ranged weaponry. In a way I miss the possible Lascannons Land Raiders are famous for, as Grey Knights have barely any, but then it's not too hard to put a shooty Marine squad in your GK force, or pick up a Dread.
I guess you are talking about Land Raider Crusaders when you say Grey Knight Land Raiders? There are Grey Knight Landraiders and Grey Knight Land Raider Crusaders which are the same as their marine equivelents. They also have the same survivability unless you gave them Sacred Hull which is only affective against Daemons.

Also you say its not too hard to put a shooty marine squad in your GK force. In fact this is impossible as you may not take inducted marines with your DH force if you include Grey Knights in your army (Page 21 of the DH codex under the Allied Space Marines heading). The only way to do this is to take a Space Marine army with allied Grey Knights.

In response to The Muffinator: I think it is a great idea to take a land raider Crusader in a 1,500 to 2,000 pts game. I say the crusader as I do not see the Landraider as being a viable option for DH's, even if you are playing pure knights. The Landraider is just a glorified predator. It has better armor but costs many more points. If you want to use it for transporting units then you are going to have to be moving it and therefore will only be able to fire one lascannon anyways. Where if you sit back and shoot then you are not transporting those valuable termies to the front where they need to be. The crusader on the other hand is wonderful for assaulting. It can move six inches and still be able to fire all of its weapons; plus the frag assault launchers are a great addition for assaulting termies.

There are several viable reasons for taking a LRC. There is the argument against it that it eats up so many points, expecially for an army that already has few models. However I find that the LRC is a great use of those points. It can safely transport your units to the front. It acts as a firemagnet: drawing away lots of fire that could eat through your precious knights. I use two dreads with tllc and ml for anti tank so the crusader also draws away much of the anti tank fire that might quickly down your dreads.

Finally there is the pure intimidation factor to your opponent. When going up against a LR you know its supposed to die. That armor 14 can only take so much. But there are those games when it just won't die. When you see that huge tank rolling towards you something inside you gets nervous. You shoot at with some lascannons and it shrugs them off. No matter what you do you just can't seem to kill it. Meanwhile all the other knights are crashing into your other flank and wreaking havoc in you army but you just can't seem to shift your focus from that tank.

These are the reasons why I take a crusader in 1,500 pt games or higher.

"We may be outnumbered and out gunned,
But our weapons are ready, our grav-chutes are charged, and we have the element of surprise."
-Slogan of the Vulkarian 41st Heavy Drop Company

Farseer of the Naran-ju Craftworld

"Fear us, for we are the Eldar. We bring your doom."
-Warchant of the Naran-ju Craftworld Eldar
Old 29 Dec 2006, 14:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

...And some great reasons at that 8)
Thanks!
Old 30 Dec 2006, 02:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to VF-7

Also, another thing that the Crusader has in favour over the normal raider, it's that it can take:

"Psycannon Bolts" Simply more ap for dealing with those pesky aspect-warrior-heavy Eldar armies, also against tau an more armoured orks, wich of course, you allready have the psycannon, but the psy-bolts are so cheap that against this very oponents such upgrade is great: may i recomend:

Of course, there's no Grey Knights variant, but it is avidable for all Inquisitors, including cheapstakes in the elite choices.
Lost are only those who abandon themselves.
Old 30 Dec 2006, 02:59   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

the land raider is soo sick man. its sick in general and because in the codex, they're all perfect and full blue(ultramarines). there is no variation of colour in the codex. YOURS on the other hand, has sick white guns and damage.
Closed Thread