Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Dh\wh army
Closed Thread
Old 05 Feb 2006, 14:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Starting Dh\wh army

My friend has decided to get a greyknight termie with hero HQ and a regiment of battle sisters and storm troopers as troops. I was wondering what would be your thoughts on this force composition, what should he consider next and if you could give me total of points rounding up or down don't tell me to the hundreds. He WILL buy the codex but we just want a ball park figure please.

-Thanks in advance.

I got owned by Wargamer, crazedmongoose2003 in Br and finally the inquisition during April 1st.
Old 05 Feb 2006, 18:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Starting Dh\wh army

Heya,

Well, I would advise your buddy to rethink his game plan before just buying models. These two armies are two armies that you can't just buy models and make a good army with (unlike Marines, Tyranid, Eldar, etc). Inquisitorial armies are more specialized and require more thought to create a coherent force. Of course, you can make anything you want, so long as it's legal, but there's a difference between an army that falls appart on turn one, and an army that can slug it out and have a good loss, not a crushing defeat.

If your friend is buying Grey Knight Termis and a Grand Master, along with Sisters of Battle, I'd recommend that he plays Witch Hunters instead of Daemon Hunters because the difference will be seen in the Troops. These two armies take each other as allies, so you can have 0-1 HQ, 0-1 Elite, 0-1 Fast, 0-2 Troops. The Knights can easily fill those small roles since they're huge points will count up very fast. That gives you more room to try to balance that out with cheaper sisters.

Now, to give you an idea of the points:

Grand Master with 4x Grey Knight Terminators (zero upgrades) :: 329 points for 5 models. ($60)
Sisters of Battle x 10; Veteran; Box Upgrades :: 135 points. ($30)
Storm Troopers x 10; Box Upgrades :: 116 points. ($30)

See the trend? The Sisters are the better bang for the buck. Much better. I would use them as the Core, so that he can have a good starting core of a force, and then build around it with the more expensive buys that produce less reliable units.

Tips -- Storm Troopers are not necessary to purchase the models. They're metal. They're just carapace armored light infantry! That's a huge price for some little cheap infantry models due to metal. I recommend he buys a box of Cadians and gets a little putty, and simply covers up their face visors and bulks out their shoulders perhaps and merely convert storm troopers from the cadians. They look the same pretty much, if not better, and you get twice the number of models, and twice the number of special weapons (the same ones). Much better for getting more army, faster, for cheaper, without losing anything.

---- In the same army, running Sisters and Storm Troopers isn't really a good idea. I would suggest working a list out that only uses one or the other. If he plays Daemonhunters the Storm Troopers will be the choice. However, if he plays Witch Hunters with allied Daemonhunters then he can use Sisters and not bother with Storm troopers just fine. I would pick the route that he likes the best, and of course, the one that is more agreeable to the budget.

Sisters, Grey Knights = Expensive, Expensive, Expensive. No way around this. Few models, hundreds of dollars.

Storm Troopers = Cheap to build up, lots of models, quick & easy.

Finding a good balance between the two is a good idea for starting

Cheers!
Old 09 Feb 2006, 12:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

O.K. What I meant to say but due to lack of codex, couldn't was that he plays Witch Hunters. I am terribly sorry MalVeauX. The reason for storm troopers is that he already has some from trying to start a guard army. I understand the cost problems with SoB and Greyknight terminators but he wants an army and fast! Best of all he can get the sisters of battle 50% off second hand.

I got owned by Wargamer, crazedmongoose2003 in Br and finally the inquisition during April 1st.
Old 11 Feb 2006, 01:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aun_shaun
O.K. What I meant to say but due to lack of codex, couldn't was that he plays Witch Hunters. I am terribly sorry MalVeauX. The reason for storm troopers is that he already has some from trying to start a guard army. I understand the cost problems with SoB and Greyknight terminators but he wants an army and fast! Best of all he can get the sisters of battle 50% off second hand.
Hey man,

No problems; Whatever works best for him, is what he should do. So long as he enjoys his army and doesn't overspend his cash, there's nothing wrong with what he takes. So he should keep that in mind, above all other things.

Cheers!