Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1000 point Hybrid Witch Hunters/Daemon Hunters list
Closed Thread
Old 24 Dec 2005, 00:24   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default 1000 point Hybrid Witch Hunters/Daemon Hunters list

I have considered starting a Witch Hunters army with an allied Ordo Malleus detachment for some time now, but I didn't have the Daemonhunters Codex Until yesterday evening (which I stayed up until 2 am reading). This list is designed to get up close and personal, and to make my opponents feel overwhelmed, much like as if they were facing a Beil-Tan Swordwind army. Keep in mind that I do NOT want long range weaponry in this list, so please don't suggest an Exorcist, or somesuch type of unit. Without further ado, here is the first draft of the list:

HQ

-->Canoness
* *-Power Weapon
* *-Bolt Pistol
->Celestian Retinue of 5 Celestians
->Immolator
* *-Extra Armour

-->Grey Knights Brother-Captain
->Retinue of 3 Grey Knight Terminators

ELITES

-->Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
* -Power Weapon
* -Bolt Pistol
* -Power Armour
* -Teleport Homer

TROOPS

-->9 Sisters of Battle
* -2 Meltaguns
->Veteran Superior
* -CC Weapon
* -Bolt Pistol
->Rhino
* -Extra Armour
* -Smoke Launchers

-->9 Sisters of Battle
* -2 Meltaguns
->Veteran Superior
* -CC Weapon
* -Bolt Pistol
->Rhino
* -Extra Armour
* -Smoke Launchers

FAST ATTACK

-->Grey Knights Teleport Attack Squad consisting of 4 Grey Knights
->Justicar

Total: 999 points

Well, what do you think?

"98% of Teenagers have tried smoking pot OR drinking. If you're one of the 2% that hasn't, copy and paste this into your sig." -Oops, not anymore!
Old 24 Dec 2005, 01:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: 1000 point Hybrid Witch Hunters/Daemon Hunters list

DJ Darc:

Interesting way to go. I like the idea of an "in your face" Witch Hunter list. Very nasty indeed. However, I'll offer some suggestions and commentary for you to think about.

HQ:

Overall - you have two very large and expensive HQs. I would recommend avoiding that for 1,000 points. All of your points are locked up right here, on two very small squads which aren't so difficult to bust. As for the squads themselves...

Cannones - In all truth, the power weapon really is not worth it. S3 power weapons just don't cut it, when you're throwing down with Sisters, because you're slow and you don't even hit that easily while your opponent probably hits and wounds you on a better basis (unless you're fighting guardsmen). And really, if you're fighting guardsmen class infantry in combat, ignoring armor saves is hardly important with such a low save on their part. I would recommend dropping that power weapon and either consider the Blessed Weapon or consider an Eviscerator. For the Celestians, they're nice, but expensive for no good reason. They hit nicely but have no attacks. The veteran is the most powerful of the veterans due to her holy hatred ability, combined with an Eviscerator. It's well worth the cost, and far more effective than a S3 power weapon on a little Cannoness. The immolator is a good idea, to ensure they get into combat. However, it's expensive and you may be better off with a Rhino if you're just looking to transport. Overall, I'd drop the retinue completely and take just the Cannoness, geared up for combat. I would move the Celestians and Immolator's points into Troops.

The Bro Cap'n and retinue of Grey Knight Termis are fine, though honestly, that many points for 4 wounds worth of models is really, really poor. In 1,000 points, I can't really suggest you even take them, considering they're your allied HQ choice and all. They're simply taking up way too many points from the rest of the army.

Elite:

This Inquisitor is really upgraded, far more than his Worth. For starters, you're paying a huge price for a 2 wound character again, and he has another S3 power weapon and only power armor. Not the biggest or toughest for his points. He almost costs as much as a brother captain, so you know something is wrong. Overall, I see you took him just to get the teleport homer, but if that's the case, I'd suggest you consider allied Storm Troopers or something, in order to get a teleport homer towards your enemy. Otherwise, try playing without the teleport homers and just save points for the early 1,000 point game. I would definitely drop this character over all.

Troops:

The sister squads look great. My only complaint is the Veteran Superior. The faith is nice, but when you're going to be up close and personal, the Eviscerator is what you really want to throw down with. Otherwise, they're fine.

Fast:

I really would not take 5 Grey Knights to deep strike like this. They're way too expensive for very little, considering they don't move or assault the turn they arrive. And 5 power armored bodies are very easy to kill with just a little dakka. I would beef their numbers a tad, at least 6 models up to 8, or otherwise drop them.

---- In the end, I like the idea of the list, but I'm afraid it won't be very efficient unless your opponents play equally styled armies. Against a balanced out good enemy, you may have serious problems and an enemy who can break your mobility, will break your army way too quickly. All of which is possible when fighting against A11. Overall, there's too many of the biggest and most expensive units for a 1,000 point list. The multiple expensive HQ thing really kills it.

Cheers!
Old 24 Dec 2005, 03:38   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Okay, maybe I did go a little HQ happy...and I can see your point about the list being under powered. But, that is why I posted the list before I went and bought things. Anyway, here is draft #2:

HQ

-->Canoness
-Blessed Weapon
-Rosarius
-Jump Pack
-Frag Grenades

ELITES

-->3 Grey Knight Terminators
->Brother Captain
-Frag Grenades

TROOPS

-->9 Sisters of Battle
-2 Meltaguns
->Veteran Superior
-Evicerator
->Rhino
-Extra Armour
-Smoke Launchers

-->9 Sisters of Battle
-2 Meltaguns
->Veteran Superior
-Evicerator
->Rhino
-Extra Armour
-Smoke Launchers

FAST ATTACK

-->7 Grey Knights
->Justicar

Total: 1000

"98% of Teenagers have tried smoking pot OR drinking. If you're one of the 2% that hasn't, copy and paste this into your sig." -Oops, not anymore!
Old 24 Dec 2005, 03:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Heya

Well, it's a little better, but not much has changed except for a slight number increase in a single squad and a loss of a scoring unit. I'll go through her with you:

HQ - Cannoness

For starters, you never need a Rosarius. She has Faith and with a simple leadership test, you can call upon Spirit of the Martyr. You then have an invulnerable save equal to your armor save. So if you purchase the Cloak of St. Aspira, you have a 2+ invulnerable save. She is then pretty unstoppable.

Cannoness - 116 points.
-Blessed Weapon
-Cloak of St. Aspira
-Jump Pack
-Frag Grenades

She's worth every dime too. She can fly fast, cannot be targeted unless she's the closest model to your opponents, and in combat, she's a whirlwind of death, just beating down her foe and being very hard to kill herself.

Elites:

GK Termis.
You cannot grant Terminators frag grenades.
This is ok, but remember how many points you're paying for a 4 wound elite squad. A single plasma gun will spell doom. Power weapons will rip you apart and you'll be outnumbered in ever fight. If you must have them, by all means, take them - but use them very wisely and use them against the weakest targets possible in order to ensure they're not overwhelmed too fast.

Troops:

Looks great, really.

Fast:

More Grey knights. Personally I'd rather have Seraphim on my side any day, over the Knights, but this team of 7 is more durable than before and will be more helpful and survive when they land.

--- Overall, you could play this list. It will simply require some care and thought.

Cheers!
Old 24 Dec 2005, 17:04   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Alright, alright, away go the GK Termies *poof*. You definitely have a point about the Canoness, she doesn't need a Rosarius (a 2+ invulnerable save will do just fine ;D). 0kay, draft #3:

HQ

-->Canoness(115)
-Blessed Weapon
-Cloak of St. Aspira
-Jump Pack

TROOPS

-->9 Sisters of Battle (119)
-2 Meltaguns
->Veteran Superior (50)
-Evicerator
->Rhino (58)
-Extra Armour
-Smoke Launchers

-->9 Sisters of Battle (119)
-2 Meltaguns
->Veteran Superior (50)
-Evicerator
->Rhino (58)
-Extra Armour
-Smoke Launchers

FAST ATTACK

-->8 Grey Knights (200)
->Justicar (50)

-->5 Seraphim (124)
-2 sets of Twin Hand Flamers
->Veteran Superior (57)
-Evicerator

Total: 1000

Old 24 Dec 2005, 17:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

JDJ:

Well, first of all, remember... it's your army, you should put what you want into it. Any advice I give is based on simply making a balanced/competitive list. You should definitely do what you want to do.

The new list looks very mean. I like it. There's less of the over-head and more meat to it. You have more bodies too, that are on the board, and not sitting in reserve. At 1,000 points, this is more like what you could run around with. Then at the 1500+ levels, that's when Terminators start to show up.

Good luck!
Cheers!
Old 24 Dec 2005, 21:39   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Just a small comment. Would it make more sense to drop the sister superior from the seraphim and kit out the grey knights? You don't have enough flame template weapons for my taste.... ;D Or maybe some psycannons for some serious firepower? Just a thought.
Old 25 Dec 2005, 00:07   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Kaytek:

Did you notice that the Sister Superior has an Evicerator? That thing can slice open a few Termies in a single round of combat, or take on the odd lightly armoured tank. And with Hand of The Emperor, it can be bumped up to S8. And as far as the Grey Knights go, it simply isn't worth it to buy a Psycannon for them. They have to give up their Nemesis Force Weapons and Storm Bolters to get the weapon, and it costs 25 points, which is the cost of another Grey Knight. And besides, Psycannons aren't actually that good for their cost, unless you know for sure that you will be fighting a Seer Council or some similar type of unit.

Old 25 Dec 2005, 03:09   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Fair enough. I've only played a few games with my SoBs, but 5 strong squads tend to get shot up real bad. Next you know you only have a couple of models and charging in with a model that strikes last could mean it never strikes at all.

Overall I like your list but the only thing I'm not sure of are the Grey Knights. Basically I've never used them or fought against them so they are an unknown factor for me. Apart from the psycannons, what about the incinerators? They don't seem too expensive for what they can do. I suppose it comes to down to how close you want to drop those GKs to the enemy.

Well, definitely take your list for a spin. Use proxy models if you have to, and let us know how it goes. Good luck and burn some heretics! ;D
Closed Thread