Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

elite mechanised guard
Closed Thread
Old 20 Sep 2005, 11:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default elite mechanised guard

i had a conversation with a friend recently about my guard. I haven't really started anything (could not get the right deadnight-y flavour to any list i wrote up) and was seriously tempted to leave my guard go, concentrate on tau, their new dex, and wait for the new eldar. But he mentioned a guard army that he thought would suit me, that he regarded as "vicious", and when i did up a list, i felt that warm inner glow of satisfaction when i realised it was all deadnight-y.
and i realised, i am a tread-head. ;D

So, without further ado, i present a beta version of my elite mechanised guard:

traits: grenadiers, veterans

HQ:
Junior Officer
missile launcher

ELites:
10 veterans, lascannon, 3 plasmas
chimera

10 veterans, lascannon, 3 plasmas
chimera

Troops:
10 Stormtroopers, 2 plasma
Chimera

10 Stormtroopers, 2 melta
Chimera

Fast Attack:
Hellhound w/armour, smoke 123

sentinel w/lascannon 55

sentinel w/lascannon 55

Heavy Support:
Leman RUss w/lascannon, smoke 158
Leman Russ w/3 h.bolters, smoke 158

1500 pts on the dot.

chimeras will be equipped as follows: hull h.bolter, turret h.bolter, armour, smoke, searchlight*

*i have 4 searchlights to make up the last 4 pts of my list

One thing must be noted. ignore the bit that there's only 45 troops for now. I have a lot of plasma. and melta. that stays for now for a bit. Im thinking since my guard are all elite-y, then they should have some pretty neat equipment, and so plasmas are not as out of place here as they would be in other guard lists. However, if i want to be true to the guard, i will swap all plasma for grenade launchers. thats my other option.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 20 Sep 2005, 11:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: elite mechanised guard

Normally, I would advise you to take more sentinels or none at all, but with 4 chimeras and a hellhound out there to share the incoming fire, you're prolly ok....oh, what the hell. I advise you to trade the hellhound for two more sentinels, either with multilasers or with autocannons. And put the leftover points into HK missiles for the sentinels, then take the free move before turn 1, don't move on turn 1 so you can volley fire the missiles, lascannons, and MLs/ACs at some worthy target that must not survive turn 1.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 20 Sep 2005, 12:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight

Heavy Support:
Leman RUss w/lascannon, smoke 158
Leman Russ w/3 h.bolters, smoke 158
smoke can be good as in it gives you glancing hits only, but when it stops these babies from shooting for a round then no...

russes are better when they shoot for every round (if they can see things)
if in cityfight i would give them smoke but for normal "open" battles then i wouldnt bother. (They got armour 14 for that)
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Old 20 Sep 2005, 18:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

great call. definitely put smoke on the chimeras, though! That way, you get to move 24" before being penetrated.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 20 Sep 2005, 21:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'd say drop the hellhound and take carapace armor. I know it's normally stupid, but it will actually do well on the veterans and it gives the army a more uniform appearance. Use the other points to put heavy stubbers on the chimeras, those three extra shots for 12 points is a real bargain.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 13:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm experimenting with almost the same. With carapace too I have hardly enough Points for enough troops so I don't lnow what to do.

I must say I like this list.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 15:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

ummm...I'm sorry what?

I was trying to read your list, but those bouncy red things kept my eye from the written word :P

I see what you might like about this list. my experience with IG is only in facing it twice. If I were to face this army, it would be a tough nut for my Hybrid Tau. I would certainly gun everything into your fastest units first...even glacing shots give results. It has far less infantry than I'm used to seeing, and far more armor. Armor is a good thing if it hits. When it misses, it is just a target for Tau. I have almost as much infantry as you, and I would have range. You'd be forced to rely upon your vehicles in a sort of "rhino rush" or go over to the defense. It would be a tough nut to crack for my list.

Wanax
Old 22 Sep 2005, 22:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

It has its weaknesses.

my friend has a 1000 pointer IG drop troop army. Its entirely infantry. command squad, and 3 platoons. all command squads are loaded out with either plasma, or melta. that list would hurt mine viciously, if it comes right. and he'd have 500 extra points to work with!

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Closed Thread