Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tactica: Demolishers
Old 02 Sep 2005, 23:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Tactica: Demolishers

So. I recently bought a Lemen Russ demolisher, and it has proved to be one of the best tanks I have ever made. Very useful.
I thought I would share a couple tactics I use with it, anybody else's ideas would be appreciated too.

TROOP SUPPORT
The Demolisher works very well in this setting. Have it advance right next to, or somewhat behind squads of guardsmen. Having a small group of stormtroopers works well to back these guys up. It is a bad idea to get to far ahead of your main element, as the short range of the main cannon and limited range of the sponsons could prove fatal as heavy weapons knock you out. Luckily, the powerful armour even on the rear side should prove somewhat hard to crack. Also giving your tank a dozer blade is critical if you plan to keep up with the troops. If possible, always fire the cannon and move 6", as there is almost nothing this sucker can't seriously hurt. However, clear the way of units that have a range advantage on you first, even if this means firing other weapons.

CHARGING
Unlike the regular Lemen Russ, the Demolisher has a limited ability to rush bunkers and such other units as it is far more securely protected. Hug cover much as possible, and give the tank armour on the treads to keep it moving. Remember that by using this tactic there is a high probability that you will lose the tank, but sometimes this will work for you as units rush across the field to deal with the threat, leaving a flank open or devote extra man power to one side of the board. If you get far enough, the tank will be a useful element in protecting a deep striking or infiltrating unit. This tactic can be a good one, but it can also be disastrous.

MOBILE BUNKER
When an opponent wishes to move a well situated russ from the board, they're in for a fight. Sometimes, as in bunker assault or take and hold, one should just sit down and blow things up. Of course, this should only be attempted if there are good fire lanes, or you aren't over exposing yourself. The Demolisher, though tough, is not a Land Raider. Luckily, it does have an ordnance weapon. Pick off units farther away with plasma cannons, and let the Demolisher cannon take care of everything else. However, if the shot scatters, get ready to run. Or shoot again. The one thing you do not want is to collapse a flank that you entrusted the russ to.

Well, that about sums it up for me. Please add on ideas, and remember this is my first Tactica article.
Colonel_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2005, 11:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Tactica: Demolishers

AREA DENIAL

Nobody wants to come within 24" of that beast, so put him right where the enemy needs to go, hull down, if possible, and let them either waste turns and inches trying to dance around that 48" bubble, or blast anything that comes in range much more accurately than on the move.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
march10k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2005, 13:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Kais

nothing helpful to add apart from

***hull down no more***
*Obscured*

>>Latest Sig<<
Kais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2005, 14:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I absolutely agree.. the demolisher is an incrdible tank. The ability to have a tnak with nothing but AP 2 weapons is just awesome..

Hail Olianus Pious! Patron Saint of the Imperial Guard! Savior of the Emperor!
Trillian_1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2005, 20:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks, Col. Sanders, because I bought a demo, and seeing as most of my fire fights are ranged, I have rarely had the oppurtunity to use it to its full potential. I bought it to hopefully start a 'rush and shoot' army, but my eyes are on black templars instead. Anyways, for those tread heads out there...

[size=10pt]Column Advance[/size]
A demolisher can be useful when your armour is in a column. Position the Demo right behind a Chimera, or Salamander, So it can still shoot. (Im not sure thats legal) When you get in range, swerve the tank out of the way of the demo, and have the demo unleash hell at close range. Youre telling yourself 'what if the first tank is destroyed?' Out fit it with a dozer blade, it will be able to push past any tank. Then it can unleash hell next turn. 14 armour will likely hold out, but target (with your Bassie or Grif) any antitank platforms units, etc. to make sure it will earn its points value.

Thats all I know on Demolishers...

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Ge. Stankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2005, 05:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

nope, no vehicle can shoot over the top of another.

Another good trick is to use a moving screen of sentinels. Keep the sentinels positioned between the demo and the greatest AT threats out there, without obscuring what the demo wants to shoot at. Oh, and put smoke on the sentinels for sure, and prolly the demo as well. The demo might not have a target on turn 1, due to its short range, even after plowing forward 6". In that case, go WOT, move 12", then pop smoke. Since the sentinels get that free move before turn 1, they can match the demolisher's 12" move for one turn. After that, there should be targets...

Also, you can make use of the demo's heavy armor to screen a chimera's advance. Line up with the chimera behind the demo, slightly offset to the opposite side of the greatest anti-chimy threat. Being more than halfway behind the demolisher, the chimera benefits from being obscured for any fire against its front armor, and being on the opposite side, can't be shot at at all by the greatest threat. Move both vehicles 12" on turn 1. and pop smoke on the demo. On turn 2, split them, exposing the chimera, which moves another 12", flipping around 180 degrees in the process, popping its own smoke this time. On turn 3, the dismounts assault...allowing you to charge a unit on the other side of the board in 3 turns...with IG. I'd only do this with Ogryns, though.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
march10k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2007, 08:29   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to X Inferno X

That was reall confusing,

if you want to save a chim that bad why not have 2 leman russ' 1 on either side of it at leat half a length of the chim infront and keept the russ frontal armour diagonal to their best at weps?

It's all fun and games until the powergamer arrives.....

Formerly X Inferno X
X Inferno X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2007, 12:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Inferno X
That was reall confusing,

if you want to save a chim that bad why not have 2 leman russ' 1 on either side of it at leat half a length of the chim infront and keept the russ frontal armour diagonal to their best at weps?
Well I understood it, and not everybody wants to commit two Russes to one flank. Hell, not everyone even fields two Leman Russes. March10k's advice was good for people with a 'normal' concentration of armour. Far more is possible with a higher concentration, but most people prefer to spread it out.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote