Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Imperial Guard Alliances
Closed Thread
Old 23 Aug 2005, 14:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Imperial Guard Alliances

I am starting Imperial Guard soon, and want to use allies. I was wondering whether Daemon Hunters or Witch Hunters are better with a shooty guard army. I was thinking of using Grey Knights with them, but I'm not too sure. I have some questions that may have been answered, but I didn't dig incredibly deep into the Search function.

1. Can you have both Grey Knights and Inquistorial daemon hunters ally in a Imperial Guard army under the same Ally Force Organization chart?

2. Grey Knight Terminators are Elites, right?

3. Which work better in overall with guard, Witch Hunters or Daemon Hunters?

4. Are Sisters of Battle good with guard?

5. Which offer more and better firepower?

6. Can you have both Witch Hunters AND Daemon Hunters ally in the same Imperial Guard list? (I have a fluff idea around this)

7. If you take Grey Knights, can you mount them in a Land Raider without disrupting the AFOC?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 15:18   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Imperial Guard Alliances

1. I believe so, just no demonhosts.
2. Yes
3. Depends on your strategy, WH are more shooty and cheaper, DH are more CC, more expensive but tougher to kill
4. I think so, depends what you use them for. They are essentially better than ST if you dont want to infiltrate/deep strike or plasma
5. SOB have more "firepower" as they are cheaper and shootier. Not as good in CC though
6. Hard to say. WH codex makes exception of no other allies EXCEPT other ordos of inquisition, but I believe DH codex does not.
7. If their codex says it's a transport option yes, otherwise it would have to be HS, which is not allowed
Old 23 Aug 2005, 17:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Does anyone else have any information? My opinion hasn't changed,

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 17:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It would really depend on who you're facing.

Overall if you want allies I would stick with Daemonhunters - they have the best of both worlds in my opinion, being able to destroy daemons and have some anti-psyker weaponry as well.

If you want a more 'all comers' army, Sisters of Battle are a good choice. They are relatively tough and have excellent close-range weaponry (massed flamers, meltaguns, multimeltas, etc). Combined with the Imperial Guard, this makes a very well-rounded force.

However, not everyone will appreiciate you taking allies - and few tournaments allow it.

~Andromidius
Old 23 Aug 2005, 20:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I always thought that as long as the codex says you can (so no Nids and Crons ally) and it stays within the point value, it was ok. Why wouldn't it be allowed? And what would be better in a mass firepower IG army with lots of tanks, Sisters to add close-ranged fire or Grey Knights to have a jack-of-all-trades army?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Old 23 Aug 2005, 20:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It's not allowed in tournaments to stop certain unstoppable powergaming tactics (ha) - but then it also makes Lost and the Damned practically worthless. I think it's there mostly to keep things simple.

Personally I'd get a bit of both and then use whichever you think would be more useful at the time. Then you can also see which works better for you, and have the option of taking both at the same time in large battles.

A good start would be a single squad of regular Grey Knights in power armour and a squad of Sisters of Battle (with a Rhino), then decide where you want to move on from there.

~Andromidius
Old 23 Aug 2005, 21:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

By tournaments do you mean big ones? Are they allowed in small ohbby shop tournaments or small GW tournaments at their stores?

And I would get both, if I didn't have such a small budget :'(. But in overall, which would be the most efficient and effective ally, Grey Knights or Sisters, and can I sue them both in high point games (say 2500 points)?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Old 23 Aug 2005, 21:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well I'd ask at your local store to see if they allow allies in their tournaments. I'd suggest Grey Knights equiped for close range firefights. They should your counter attack force in the enevitable situation that you are assaulted.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 21:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

What Grey Knight ally line-up would you recommend? And is it true that Grey Knights are horridly expensive ($70 for 2 Termies)?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Old 23 Aug 2005, 21:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Not quite that bad... here in Canada its 75$ for 5 Termies.

Hail Olianus Pious! Patron Saint of the Imperial Guard! Savior of the Emperor!
Closed Thread