Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Illegal army? maybe maybe not?
Closed Thread
Old 07 Aug 2005, 00:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to CommanderNightstalker Send a message via Yahoo to CommanderNightstalker
Default Illegal army? maybe maybe not?

I was playing a 750 pts battle with my Tau yesterday against some "Regimental Variant Guard." This isn't going to be a battle report however, but rather a legality query. Now, on to the good stuff! (or shady stuff, depending on your view). As I was playing, he told me that his Command Squad had Light Infantry skills/drills so he could infiltrate them during deployment: All fine and dandy. Then, when we rolled off and I got first turn, I moved all that I wanted to move and proceeded to the Shooting phase. It was then that he said, "My troops have Carapace Armor." That brought out a red flag. Being one of those crazy 40k players that takes the time to read through all Codices, I distinctly remember that under the Light Infantry rules, it says that it may not be combined with "Special Equipment: Carapace Armor."

Does that mean that the abillities cannot be stacked? or that you cannot select those 2 Doctrines in the same army? I was opting for the army bit, as light infantry wouldn't be sneaking about in Carapace armor. That's been bugging me ever since that battle. <.< so if someone could please resolve this dilemma so I can sleep better at night, that would be most appreciated.
"Duty. Honor. Vigilance. These are the three values that you of the Shas Caste should have burned within your hearts. To live these values is to be a Fire Warrior of Ta'ran. It is these values that set us apart from our Sept Brethren. With Duty, Honor, and Vigilance on our minds, nothing can stand in our way."

- Commander Nightstalker
Old 07 Aug 2005, 00:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: Illegal army? maybe maybe not?

Your friend has used an illegal doctrine. Carapace cannot be combined by either Jungle fighters or Light infantry. He was able to however infiltrate his command squad however. But if somthing like this comes up and your unsure consult his codex. If he dosnt let you say all of your units have S10 T10 and a 2+ save. If he disagrees with this then tell him to show you his codex. If he still doesnt comply you should win that game by default.
Old 07 Aug 2005, 00:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
all of your units have S10 T10 and a 2+ save.
You forgot the most important part - also point out that your standard fire warriors carry submunition railguns.

You can't stack Carapace Armour and Light Infantry - he can roll saves all he wants, but feel free to knock off models for him.
Old 07 Aug 2005, 00:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Well im not a tau player so i got no idea whats happening there. But allways read his list first and make sure it comlpies with the codex. If he has somthing you feel is illegal tell him to change it to somthing else.
Old 07 Aug 2005, 09:18   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

It is technically legal, but not via Doctrines...

If everyone in the Command Squad was a Veteran, they could all be given Carapace Armour from the Armoury. Nowhere in the Codex does it say Carapace stops you from using Light Infantry, only you cannot use it with the Carapace Doctrine.

However, in order to pull this off he would have had to spend 49pts extra onto his Command Squad... and that's assuming there were no Advisors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 07 Aug 2005, 09:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Plus it would have to have been in his army list.

Only units able to infiltrate with Carapace Armour are:

Storm Troopers (Elites only), Command Squads with veterans + wargear upgrades and Veterans with Carapace Armour doctrine. Nothing else.

Then again, alot of players never actually read all the rules - just the parts they want to read.

~Andromidius
Old 07 Aug 2005, 16:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well? Did he say he had Carapace from a doctrine? Otherwise, its perfectly legal, as they can be purchased as wargear from the armory. But as Wargamer said, it is expensive. Also, if he did this, he couldn't of had any special weapons or voxcasters, so if he still had those in his squad, then it is illegal.

Some wise words:

If at first you don't succeed... I wouldn't recommend skydiving.

A bird in the hand is safer than one overhead.

Anger is a condition where the tongue works faster than the mind.

A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Wise men learn by other men's mistakes, fools by their own. Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it.
Old 07 Aug 2005, 17:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It's not legal, because Carapace Armour and Light Infantry doctrines cannot both be taken.

~Andromidius
Old 07 Aug 2005, 23:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to tolson88 Send a message via MSN to tolson88

The thing about veterans and carapace armor is that it means he could have no special or heavy weapons, and no vox casters. However, i believe he said "My Troops have Carapace Armor. This would me he took both the light infantry and carapace armor doctrines. That would be illegal. In both cases, ask to see his codex and his army list.
Old 08 Aug 2005, 04:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to CommanderNightstalker Send a message via Yahoo to CommanderNightstalker

That's what I thought. But in a way, the wording is kinda murky to the point where either viewpoint could be legal. I think i'll ask the Roolzboyz for official confirmation. I'd ask the Roolzboyz because i know i'd never get the developers of the IG Codex to answer it (would be nice, but it's about as probable as getting Markerlights as "Assault weapons").
"Duty. Honor. Vigilance. These are the three values that you of the Shas Caste should have burned within your hearts. To live these values is to be a Fire Warrior of Ta'ran. It is these values that set us apart from our Sept Brethren. With Duty, Honor, and Vigilance on our minds, nothing can stand in our way."

- Commander Nightstalker
Closed Thread