Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need help/ review with regard to IG list
Closed Thread
Old 04 Aug 2005, 21:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Need help/ review with regard to IG list

Hey,
I have finally decided IG are to be my next army. I know ive bored everyone with light and mech IG lists, but i came up with a concept of an army which is to be heavily converted. I'll bore you all with (badly written, and im sorry for that!) fluff, and then give the list:

Fluff:
Colonel Friel gazed at what remained of his troopers. It was not a pretty sight, he mused. His mind went over the events of the last few months, the ork invasion, the continual retreat, and then a suicidal frontal assault to regain the capital city, draw off the main ork horde, and buy time for the Guard down south to regroup, and build a better defence line. It worked. And it seemed as though every damn ork in the galaxy came to fight them! His had been the first forces into the fray, parachuting into the middle of the city, and surrounding areas to hold it for the following forces. He was proud of his boys. They had proved themselves. They were the Airborne! The elite of the guard! Only the glory boys, the stromtroopers rated higher. And unlike them, his boys knew how to slug it out in the mud like the rest of the guard!
The suicidal attack led to three months of incessant fighting, defending a city that was to all intents and purposes, ruined forever. Attack, followed attack. Day and night. It felt as though it would never end. But it had. At great cost, they had succeeded. The forces down south had regrouped, had built new lines of defence. His forces were ordered to pull out, via naval evacuation. And the damn orks had been yards behind, even then!
He gazed around him again. The sounds of battle carried on the wind. The dull whump of basilisks, the shriek of distant ordnance. He shuddered. His forces had been ordered to rest briefly while they were re-equipped. Their equipment was wrecked for the most part, and most of the men were wounded. The rest were dead, he mused bitterly. Still, they had come out better than others. The 18th armoured, had lost its entire command in the opening days, and its surviving companies attached to other regiments in the city. He had fought alongside armour before, but never had it under his direct command. Still, he wasn’t complaining. Tanks were tanks.

And of course, new orders had come through. Shockingly, once re-equipped, they were not going to be sent to the front. A high up inquisitor had need for imperial protection, and his boys had drawn the short straw. He didn’t know what the Inquisitor sought, and he didn’t particularly want to know. He had heard the rumours of what happened to imperial troops after service to an inquisitor. Still, he was an officer of the imperial guard. He would obey.

the following transcript was intercepted en route to persons unknown. Laiho has enemies. May the emperor watch over him, for he's beyond our powers now...
The Inquisitor has reached Kelp. The forces we sent to eliminate him failed in their mission. Laiho may be approaching the tomes of Greivas even as we speak. By whatever powers, they must not fall into his hands!

Inquisitor Laiho is a well respected Inquisitor, known and feared by many. Having served Coteaz for many years, it is not surprising his beliefs match those of his mentor. Laiho seeks the works of the former inquisitor, Greivas the insane. These works are reputed to deal with the heretic inquisitors blasphemic research into the daemonic, as well as tomes written that detail many unknown crimes of imperial history. A fellow inquisitor traced their location to Kelp, but disappeared. The tomes were enticing enough, but with the disappearance of an inquisitor, the Inquisition suspects foul play by persons unknown. And so Laiho was dispatched. Forces attempted to assassinate him several times as he followed the trail, but so far he has evaded his pursuers. Now, nearing his goal, he seeks the aid of the Imperial Guard to seek his quarry on a world torn asunder by yet another bloody war.

Why would this force face other 40k armies?

Space Marines: The works of Greivas include lengthy accounts of heretical doings by several notable astartes chapters. Understandably, these chapters would prefer their dark secrets were not known to the Inquisition…..

Chaos Space Marines: They’re chaos! They need no reason to fight! But seriously, they too seek Greivas’ works, for his knowledge of the daemonic, and the feel Laiho may know of their exact whereabouts.

Eldar: A small elder strikeforce had been dispatched to destroy Laiho’s expedition. Their farseers have skried the future, and have deemed Laiho’s interests anthema to their own. And so, he must be destroyed.

Dark Eldar: as though they need a reason for another slave raid from a small warp gate…..

Orks: the planet is infested with them! An ork warboss eager to prove his mettle, wants to destroy Laihos force to prove he’s strong. An’ dey is orkses! Dey need no ova reason ta crump da ‘umies!

Inquisition: (DH/WH) Inquisitors hostile to Laiho have pulled together forces from the inquisition, sisters of battle, and daemonhunters to defeat Laiho. Perhaps the Inquisitors behind such machinations fear the implications of Greivas’ daemonic research becoming more well known. Or the fact he was declared heretic is enough for some to regard Laiho as either a loose cannon at best, and at worst, a heretic himself.

Necrons: Laiho searches through ancient ruins for the tomes, only to discover a small garrison force of necrons awaits, and wakes to destroy the intruders

Tyranids: Imperial naval forces destroyed the ork presence in high orbit over Kelp beofre the guart regiments themselves landed. Perhaps they were pulled away to deal with a tyranid hivefleet. Perhaps one small ship escapes imperial destruction, and though heavily damaged, crashes and disgorges a small tyranid horde (a few hundred organisms at most). This stretches credulity slightly, but it is a valid reason.

Tau: Kelp lies on the eastern fringe. Perhaps a tau expedition arrives, eager to bring yet another imperial world into their fold. And so they launch strikes at all hostile (ork, and imperial) targets, including Laiho. This stretches credulity again, but there is no other way to shoehorn the spoonheads into my fluff!

Imperial Guard: Laiho’s expedition comes across a PDF regiment that has deserted the fighting in the main continent. Thinking Laiho is here for them, they foolishly attack…
Perhaps, an Imperial Commander, under sway from vested interest groups opposed to Laiho attacks him, through bribery, a vendetta, or misplaced loyalty.

OK, the fluff has my force being a drop troop force, with allied mechanised elements. So, technically, if i wanted, i could play using any doctrines:
Drop troops: obviously, they drop in.
Grenadiers: Laiho brings his own Imperial stormtroopers, and these are stuck into the guard list
Mechanised: vehicular elements move out to engage something while the infantry footslog to support.

Regarding doctrines, for the moment i will use 2. Drop troops, and veterans. I'd love to take sharpshooters to represent both their l33tness, and the fact they have been in a brutal campaign. but the points are not there, unfortunately. Unless someone can point to places i can drop things in. And for now, i am sticking to the shooty imperial guard list from hell idea. An AF squad exists to seize objectives, though infiltrating veterans, and drop trooping squaddies can also perform in this role, i believe.

Inquisitor Lord w/ psychic hood, bolt pistol, and ccw + 3 warriors
he hides behind a rock, and tries to stop any psyker powers with the hood. I've minimised him as much as i could. I take him as he's fluffy, and can take a hood. no other reason.

HQ: Command Squad J.officer w/ staff and h.bolter

Elites:
10 veterans, lascannon, 3 plasmaguns
9 veterans, lascannon, 3 plasmaguns

Troops:
Command Squad J.Officer w/ staff and h.bolter
Squad 1: veteran sarge, lascannon, plasma
Squad 2: veteran sarge, lascannon, plasma

Mainly to kill heavy armour, and heavy infantry

Command Squad J.Officer w/ staff and h.bolter
Squad 1: veteran sarge, missile, grenade
Squad 2: veteran sarge, missile, grenade

medium armour, and infantry

Armoured Fist squad:
veteran sarge, missile grenade
chimera w/ 2 h.bolters, smoke, armour

Move to take objectives, reinforce the lines, reposition etc

Leman Russ w/3 h.bolters, smoke armour
Leman Russ w/3 h.bolters, smoke armour

It comes in at 1501 points. Acceptible to most, i think.

88 troops,
2 tanks, one transport
9 h.bolters
4 lascannons
3 missiles
2 ordnance pie plates
8 plasma guns
2 grenade launchers

I tried to put a mix of heavy weapons into my squads, in a tournament mentality. I was thinking h.weapon squads for concentrated firepower, but realised veterans do just as good a job. Options could include swapping the LR h.bolters for single lascannons (wargamer suggestion), changing veteran loadout and possilby dropping 30 points of veteran sarge for 2 sharpshooter squad upgrades. I was also very tempted to add to the inquisitor fluff, and have a few tormtrooper squads running in a chimera with 2 meltas, but i think the AF squad is just as good, as its more versatile, and cheaper! I really can't see anything else i can do. if others do, please inform me.

And please, no comments on the fact i named the planet after seaweed! i ran out of inspiration! ;D

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 04 Aug 2005, 22:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy
Default Re: Need help/ review with regard to IG list

everything is in order, except the lascannons. they need to be either autocannons or missile launchers. lascannons arent worth the points cause you dont always get what you pay for.

as for the planet name, put aa number behind it to make it a system. kelp 5 or 7 for example...

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 04 Aug 2005, 22:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Seems nice to me and I do quite like the fluff behind it.

Just wondering though, which squads are you actually planning to Deep Strike with?.

(I'll be able to comment more once I know this)

If it will just depend on the mission played, opponent etc then I would still advise making one of your Platoons or your Vets more 'Drop Capable' by losing the heavy weapons. Your Vets could suit this role as 10 Vets with 3 Rapid Firing Plasmas and 7 Lasguns will perform quite well. Plus you save 50 Points on the Lascannons.

With some of those points you could then upgrade the Hull Heavy Bolters to Lascannons.

Also, If you do want yuor Vets in the Drop role then you could give the Sarges Power Fists (as you'' Rapid Fire and no doubt be charged in the next turn by at least something, 20 Guard with 2 Fists will still pack quite a punch). Maybe one with a Fist and one with a Plasma Pistol (to add to the shooting when they land). Need to scrape 26pts from somewere for all that (could make each Vet squad 8 strong).
Old 06 Aug 2005, 12:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Seems nice to me and I do quite like the fluff behind it.
As do i, though i lack serious writing talent to make it worthy of serious raise.

Just wondering though, which squads are you actually planning to Deep Strike with?.
(I'll be able to comment more once I know this)

no idea as of yet. I've never played IG, or a DS army for that matter, so i want to figure that bit out for myseflf... I could drop one squad, and do the inquisitor thing, and take a small ST squad with meltas, or something. I'd use an IG ST squad, as they can DS, but i'll paint them up like Laiho's stormtroopers.

If it will just depend on the mission played, opponent etc then I would still advise making one of your Platoons or your Vets more 'Drop Capable' by losing the heavy weapons. Your Vets could suit this role as 10 Vets with 3 Rapid Firing Plasmas and 7 Lasguns will perform quite well. Plus you save 50 Points on the Lascannons.

I would prefer infiltrate for my vets. those plasmas, and lassies are incredibly handy. but DSing them could work. its an option, and i like options!

With some of those points you could then upgrade the Hull Heavy Bolters to Lascannons.
thing is then russ is a jack of all trades and a master of none. id prefer pure horde killing, or secondary tank kiling.

Also, If you do want yuor Vets in the Drop role then you could give the Sarges Power Fists (as you'' Rapid Fire and no doubt be charged in the next turn by at least something, 20 Guard with 2 Fists will still pack quite a punch). Maybe one with a Fist and one with a Plasma Pistol (to add to the shooting when they land). Need to scrape 26pts from somewere for all that (could make each Vet squad 8 strong).

Its an option Veq, and thanks for pointing it out, but for now my plan is just to play it out, and see where the evolution of my game takes me. suuggestions are greatly appreciated! and i rather shooty guard to assaulty guard!

thanks though.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 07 Aug 2005, 01:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You mention allied mechanized forces but I don't see how you are going to include them. I'd say drop the missile launcher in the armored fist squad and replace the grenade launcher with a meltagun. I'd use the extra points to put a heavy stubber on the chimera. I don't understand extra armor on the Russ's as they probably won't need to move much so shaken rather then stunned is kind of pointless. I'd say keep the lascannons in the veteran squads, but replace them with autocannons or more missile launchers in the normal squads.
Old 07 Aug 2005, 09:23   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I personally would change the list as follows:

Take the Lascannons out of the Veteran squads.

Swap the Plasmaguns in one of the Vet squads to Meltaguns, to increase their close-range tank-hunting.

Take off some of the Extra Armour on the Russes.

Use the spare points to bring another squad of Guardsmen. Take a Special Weapon (maybe a plasmagun) out of one of the other squads and give it to them.

But that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 10 Aug 2005, 07:31   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

i recon you need autocannons there good at blowing apart things like tyranid warriors and i even use them to destroy dreadnoughts which i ussially succed for some reason
Old 10 Aug 2005, 09:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The Inquisitor Lord needs at least 3 henchmen to be legal. If you take an Elite Inquisitor you do not need any henchmen.
Old 10 Aug 2005, 09:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

oopsy. typo! apoliges.

Laiho should have 3 warriors. It will be edited! and the offendibg pixels shall be executed, with extreme predjudice...

Closed Thread