Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

beating tau problem
Old 04 Jun 2010, 21:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default beating tau problem

I just played a 1200 pt game with my brother, as we each had 1200 pts (just making that clear) and it was an extremely close match. It ended with my company commander charging with a veteran (company commander had las-pistol and chain sword, veteran had lasgun) against a fully souped up broadside and a single tau fire warrior. We both had nothing else and the next turn it went to company commander and veteran vs. fire warrior and broadside to company commander vs. broadside. Why I nearly lost (but still won) : A crisis suit commander. With invulnerable saves, multi-trackers, target locks, missile pods, plasma rifles, and a 2+ armor save, It took out a fairly large chunk of my army. How do I kill those things? As a side note, Guardsmen Marbo popped up, use a demolition charge, and blew up a devilfish with 12 unloaded fire warriors, the next turn charged path finders, killed them, and the turn after that, used melta bombs on a 215 pt. hammer head and blew it up!

-Mike Tyson
Super heavy gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2010, 22:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to jonnyp
Default Re: beating tau problem

You kill it the same way you kill every other kind of Crisis suit. You put some lascannon shots into him and he dies. Odds are also that suit isnt cheap, so he will be suffering in other places. Once his drones are down he will be fairly easy pickings, and even if he himself has a shield gen you will still kill him 50% of the time with 3 wounding lascannon shots.
jonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2010, 22:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

What were the lists?

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2010, 22:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyp
You kill it the same way you kill every other kind of Crisis suit. You put some lascannon shots into him and he dies. Odds are also that suit isnt cheap, so he will be suffering in other places. Once his drones are down he will be fairly easy pickings, and even if he himself has a shield gen you will still kill him 50% of the time with 3 wounding lascannon shots.
Nailed it (pun not intended)

Anything that has AP1 or 2 and is instant deathing him is good. You could use anything from Demolishers to lascannons even melta guns or lots of plasma. They aren't difficult to kill. The drones can only last so long before they die and when they do the commande is dead. Or try and inflict 3 instant death wounds at once forcing him to allocate one to him and one to each drone.
Old 04 Jun 2010, 22:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Skeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Thunder
What were the lists?
I second this question.
Skeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2010, 23:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Use a sledgehammer, therefore, you never have to worry about facing those puny tau again. :P

Anyway, I suggest lascannons. Concentrated lascannon fire will ruin the day of any armored unit, whether battlesuit, hammerhead, rhino, leman russ, and maybe land raiders.
Old 05 Jun 2010, 00:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I knew a Tau player who used to build a commander like that. He called it his "**** You" commander because it was very expensive but at the same time very hard to kill. What I just did was to ignore it. I played him using my Orks and just zoomed past his commander and killed everything else.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2010, 01:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyp
That's the problem. I used 1 lascannon, 3 twin-linked lascannons, 2 heavy bolters and a battle cannon. He had body guards with him, and I want to know if there is a cheaper, more effective way to take these down.

-Mike Tyson
Super heavy gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2010, 02:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

You will need a lot of firepower to take down that squad, but keep in mind that his command squad is incredibly expensive. Use the IG's amazing ability to pack in more plasma weaponry than you can shake a stick at. It will take a lot of firepower to take his squad down.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2010, 05:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Can guardsmen get power weapons? Ibram Gaunt carries one around after about book 2, after all. If you can get a decent-sized squad with a power weapon into melee with the big bad command squad, they will start to die. Even the very best Tau commanders are no more than WS 4 and 4 attacks. That might seem like a lot, but that's at least 100 points, and likely close to 200 if he has drones or an invulnerable save. Add in the bodyguards and you have a ridiculous amount of points and few invulnerable saves. If he's using the maximum of 6 shield drones, then whittle him down with lasgun fire or something first to get rid of some of them.

Or, just take the excellent advice of lascannon and plasma spam. The battle cannon (whatever the Strength 8 AP2 large blast is) can be truly devastating to a crisis team as well. That weapon is cover-save or die, so catch them in the open and it's one dead battlesuit squad.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote