Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Imperial Navy
Closed Thread
Old 24 Jul 2005, 01:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin
Default Imperial Navy

i am wondering if anyone has played with some of the Imperial navys finest, and wondering the tactics you use for them, i own two thunderbolts and Marauder Destroyer. but have never fielded them, (i mostly collect them, worth alot more money one day....!)
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Old 24 Jul 2005, 04:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw
Default Re: Imperial Navy

The Imperial Navy as a rule doesn't deploy troops on planet other than in the form of air support from Lightnings and Maruaders. Whent hey do fight troop based actions it's in the tight confines of thier ship or an enemy that they are trying to board. As such they don't have use for vehicles and tend to use close quarter weapons more. Things like shotguns, melee weapons etc. They also tned to throw large numbers or ratlings into the fray. These are men on the ship that are little better than slave labour if at all and aren't expected to have long life on the ships anyhow.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 08:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

thanks Spiritbw but i meant tactics for the flyers themselves, not the men who crew them, i guess i should word the question better...
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Old 24 Jul 2005, 11:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

See it's an odd system, the Imperial Navy can recruit an army, but the Imperial Guard cannot construct ships.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 11:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The Imperial Navy is more important the the Imperial Guard. Without the Navy they can't ship troops to other planets, protect shipping lines or wipe out invading armies before they've even reached their target.

There are times where the Navy will send down their own marines to a Planet's surface, but this is rare because crew are a valued commodity onboard a ship and they are generally not suited to open combat.

~Andromidius
Old 24 Jul 2005, 12:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Want an example? My 27th Ellixian, is a ship based army, ment for close firefights on ships, but on a planet, during Mal and my fluff piece, my men are doing horrible.
Old 25 Jul 2005, 18:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterCresent
See it's an odd system, the Imperial Navy can recruit an army, but the Imperial Guard cannot construct ships.
Well, not really an army perse. They're basicly greabbing the nearest crew, giving them a weapon and telling them to go fight. It be a bit like hauling Guard onto a ship and telling them to fly. They don't do it well, but they might be able to manage.
Old 25 Jul 2005, 20:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Well the Navy does use its Ratings (just regular crew) most of which are conscripted. Still they do an ok job in a fight.

Then they have the Armsmen, who are pretty much the army on board a ship, with Petty Officers leading them and things like that. The Armsmen are very much like Arbites in equipment, they have Shotguns or Blast Cannons (No Executioner rounds for the Shotguns though) and they have Carapace Armour.

Then they have pretty much their own version of Storm Troopers, actually aren';t real Storm Troopers often under Navy command?.

Anyway, the Navy often deploy on the ground for certain missions, tasks. Especially when there is no need for the massed forces of the Guard. To get Guard into action you need big transporters too. If the mission only involved say some sort of battleship (cruiser etc), then you would only have the crew etc on that ship so if the mission required something to be done on land then they would fulfil this (if it was a big undertaking then Guard would be sent along on the mission, probably in transporter ships).

Rouge Trader crews who have big licenses, such as the rights to conquer an alien race etc and take the planet in the name of the Imperium often have a fighting force much like the Imperial Navy's.
__________________________________________________ _________________________

Now onto Navy flyers in game,

Nope, I've never used them personally but have seen them being used. The really isn't much to them in the way of tactics etc, you just fly across the table shooting and hope you come back next turn. There is very little you can do, all you really decide is how far you move before you shoot and what to shoot at.