Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

IA8 - Elysian Army list Reviewed
Old 28 May 2010, 19:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default IA8 - Elysian Army list Reviewed

This is a quick overview of the new Elysian list in Imperial Armour 8. This was simply an update of their previous lists to get them in line with the new Imperial Guard Codex. It allows you to create an all drop troops army as in the previous codex as well a more flexible air cavalry army than in the standard codex. Hopefully this will help you to decide whether you'll want to purchase this high quality book.

Dedicated Transport:
The ubiquitous Valkyrie replaces the Chimera as the Dedicated Transport. Unless otherwise indicated any unit that got the option of a dedicated transport gains access to its own personal Valk.

Special Rules:
All infantry as well Sentinels gain the Deep Strike rule. For infantry this means a +1 price tag per model. Also all infantry gain Iron Discipline which means below half strength can still attempt to rally within 6" of an Officer (any type).

HQ:

Company Command Squad:
Can take Auxiliary Grenade Launchers (even the medic) & a homing beacon. Loses access to autocannons, lascannons, Master of Ordinance & Astropath. That last one is key.

Without Astropath access or Improved Comms drop troop armies suffer greatly as we're subject to the whims of the dice for reserves. MoO is understandable especially since we rely on air support not artillery.

Departmento Munitorum Warning: The profile for AGLs aren't included in IA8. If it's the same as the SM one then its pure awesome. If its like previous encarnations AGLs are basically hand held hunter killers using krak grenades instead of krak missiles. As they are standard lasguns they still benefit from FRFSRF.

Departmento Munitorum Warning: Also the profile for Homing Beacons is missing. I don't know what it is in past books but its safe to assume it keeps deep strikers from scattering but no idea on radius. I've emailed questions on both equipment.

Lord Commissar (Drop Regiment)
All the same options as we know in the standard version but can of course deep strike. In his case he's got a whooping +10 to his price tag :huh: Also no dedication Valkyrie for him.

Long Range Ground Scanner
0-1 option. Comes with 1 Guardsman with the option to buy 3 more. Doesn't take up an HQ slot. The scanner is used to measure from but can't be hit. Have to kill the squad. Must choose

This is kinda new. A force multiplier unit, it has 2 modes: Long Range Sweep & Short Range Lock. The 1st option requires enemy infiltrators to roll a D6. On a 1-3 they can't infiltrate & must deploy as normal. Note the scanner can be in reserve & this still happens. The 2nd allows you to nominate a unit & make it effectively twin-linked. The range is 12" or unlimited if the unit has a vox. Plop it down next to a HW squad for best results. Also you can move & use it. I want one.

Captain Gerek
A BS4 Tauros with a poor man's Improved Comms. You can reroll a fail reserve roll if he's on the board. Also in Apoc hey grants the Recon asset. See Tauros for more details. He has a Tauros Grenade Launcher.

Captain Xhyst
A command squad with a medic, vox operator, melta gunner & standard bearer. This is just a decked out command squad that's fearless.

Captain Thanstadt
A senior officer that makes any attached squad fearless & has a 12" bubble of Stubborn. He's got a laspistol, CCW & lasgun with AGL, meltabombs, Ld 10 & is an Independent Character. He's actually kinda awesome. Costs 5 points more than a standard Commissar.

Elites:

Storm Troopers
Identical to C:IG except for DS & Valk dedicated transports

Drop Sentinels
Same profile as a Scout Sentinel but comes with a heavy bolter & can swap for a heavy flamer for free or a multi-melta for the price of a plasma gun. Can buy searchlights, HKs, smoke launchers & camo netting.

These are the mobile firepower. If your entire army deep strikes then these are the primary long ranged fire power.

Troops:
Drop Infantry Platoon
Same organization as C:IG except you take 1 less HW squad, 1 more SW squad & replace Conscripts with Drop Sentinels.

That's right, you can have up to 27 sentinels in a list. Hehe. Lets look at specifics.

Platoon Command Squad
These guys lose a LOT of options. Only one may take a special weapon though the Commander & Commissar can take Lasguns with AGLs. Also they can have a homing beacon & one Guardsman can take a Lascutter. Think S9 servo-arm. Also no sniper rifle or HWT options. I've been meaning to email & ask if the one spec wep limit is accidental or not.

Infantry Squad
Loses the HWT option but gets demo charges. Sarge & Commissar can take lasguns with AGL. No sniper rifle. Krak grenades are half price.

Heavy Weapons Squad
Loses auto- & lascannon options but can take a dedicated transport.

Special Weapon Squad
Unchanged. Can take a dedicated transport.

Drop Sentinel Squadron
See Elites

Veterans
Ok they're awesome still. Doctrines are intact & any vet can take AGLs though ironically the sarge can't. Can take a lascutter. HWT is again missing cannons.

Departmento Munitorum Warning: The stats are misprinted unless a Ld 9 HWT was intentional. Also the squad should have BS4 not BS3 as is printed. This last part has been confirmed in an email from Forge World. No word on the Ld but seriously, does a heavy weapon make you braver? Wait...

Fast Attack

Vendettas
Unchanged but can officially fly in Apoc games.

Tauros
Awesome on wheels. Comes with a heavy flamer but can get a Tauros Grenade Launcher. Think regular grenade launcher with 50% range increase & a second shot. An ultra-light, fast vehicle but if it moves at combat speed then it can reroll failed terrain tests. Also it ignores immobilized results on a 4+. This rule alone makes Tauros squadrons worth it. Can take an HK, extra armor, smoke, camo & a beacon. Can take a Valkyrie squadron as dedicated transport :sadnshocked: One per Tauros. So you can deep strike them out of a Valk & if they fail their DT test they ignore it on a 4+.

Tauros Venator
The Tauros on steriods. It comes with a twin-linked multi-laser with the option to upgrade to a TL lascannon. Can take an HK, extra armor, smoke, camo & a beacon. Same rules as a regular Tauros but can't fit in Valkyries & have an increase in front armor.

Cyclops Remote Control Demolition Vehicle
1-3 demo remotes that are moving bombs. Can move them within 1" & detonate with the same profile as a battle cannon shot that can't be halfed against AV. Keep the Guardsman within 48" of the vehicles or they shut down & they can separate, meaning up to 3 different targets may be hit at a time. The Cyclops themselves are light vehicles.

Heavy Support

Vulture Gunship
This is a very flexible unit choice. It can have a vast amount of options. Take a look at the IA1 update for details. For 15 points more than a fully decked out Valkyrie you can have a TL punisher cannon which if you take Vendettas, means you're covered for hordes & mech.

Sentry Gun Battery
Deep Strike enabled remote guns. Can upgrade their TL heavy bolters with lascannons & take camo. Must be set to 1 of 3 modes: point defense, sentry & interceptor. PD gives them a 36" range but only 90 degree targeting window, sentry gives them full view but 18" range & interceptor is for Planetstrike games only. Also they have to target the closest unit they're good at (HB at infantry, LC at MCs or vehicles).

Valkyrie Sky Talon
Treated as heavy support but doesn't take up a HS slot. Can be upgraded with MRPs. Can transport a single Tauros or Tauros Venator or 2 Drop Sentinels. If transporting squads they have to be in coherency.

Naval Air Support
Either a Thunderbolt or Lightning fighter. An iffy prospect as non-IG players will not likely play you & even then IG only if they have Hydras or their own fighters. Save them for Apoc or aircraft heavy games.

Overall a very nice list. I'm afraid Drop Troops won't get back their glory days but they'll be around still. The potential is still there though without Improved Comms or an Astropath the Dice Gods are in control. Doesn't mean you can't still try Might even do a Tactica in the future.

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Glory for the first man to die! CHARGE!
trex238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2010, 21:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to DarkKnightCuron Send a message via MSN to DarkKnightCuron
Default Re: IA8 - Elysian Army list Reviewed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Trux
Dedicated Transport:
The ubiquitous Valkyrie replaces the Chimera as the Dedicated Transport. Unless otherwise indicated any unit that got the option of a dedicated transport gains access to its own personal Valk.
This is an awesome improvement. While some folks might cry cheese, this is actually really awesome as it fits the AirCav theme. Of particular note, it mentions "Valkyrie" and not "Vendetta".

Quote:
Special Rules:
All infantry as well Sentinels gain the Deep Strike rule. For infantry this means a +1 price tag per model. Also all infantry gain Iron Discipline which means below half strength can still attempt to rally within 6" of an Officer (any type).
This is pretty cool too. Not only do you need Officers to dish out orders, but this also spares you having to dish out a whole bunch of "Get Back In The Fight" orders.

Quote:
Company Command Squad:
Can take Auxiliary Grenade Launchers (even the medic) & a homing beacon. Loses access to autocannons, lascannons, Master of Ordinance & Astropath. That last one is key.

Without Astropath access or Improved Comms drop troop armies suffer greatly as we're subject to the whims of the dice for reserves. MoO is understandable especially since we rely on air support not artillery.
I like the additions of the AGLs and Homing Beacon, though the lack of an Astropath really hurts. The lack of Autocannons and Lascannons are purely because such equipment is far too heavy to drop with the rest of the infantry squads, so vehicles are the only ones that can field 'em.

Quote:
Departmento Munitorum Warning: The profile for AGLs aren't included in IA8. If it's the same as the SM one then its pure awesome. If its like previous encarnations AGLs are basically hand held hunter killers using krak grenades instead of krak missiles. As they are standard lasguns they still benefit from FRFSRF.

Departmento Munitorum Warning: Also the profile for Homing Beacons is missing. I don't know what it is in past books but its safe to assume it keeps deep strikers from scattering but no idea on radius. I've emailed questions on both equipment.
If you find an answer, please let us know. These pieces of wargear could either be really awesome, or kinda 'meh'.

Quote:
Long Range Ground Scanner
0-1 option. Comes with 1 Guardsman with the option to buy 3 more. Doesn't take up an HQ slot. The scanner is used to measure from but can't be hit. Have to kill the squad. Must choose
This is kinda new. A force multiplier unit, it has 2 modes: Long Range Sweep & Short Range Lock. The 1st option requires enemy infiltrators to roll a D6. On a 1-3 they can't infiltrate & must deploy as normal. Note the scanner can be in reserve & this still happens. The 2nd allows you to nominate a unit & make it effectively twin-linked. The range is 12" or unlimited if the unit has a vox. Plop it down next to a HW squad for best results. Also you can move & use it. I want one.
One? I want three!

Quote:
Captain Gerek
A BS4 Tauros with a poor man's Improved Comms. You can reroll a fail reserve roll if he's on the board. Also in Apoc hey grants the Recon asset. See Tauros for more details. He has a Tauros Grenade Launcher.
Eeeeeh...I can see him being useful in some armies, but I'm not sure if I'd take him.

Quote:
Captain Thanstadt
A senior officer that makes any attached squad fearless & has a 12" bubble of Stubborn. He's got a laspistol, CCW & lasgun with AGL, meltabombs, Ld 10 & is an Independent Character. He's actually kinda awesome. Costs 5 points more than a standard Commissar.
Now this guy sounds awesome. Probably an awesome replacement for a Commissar in a huge blob of fifty guardsmen (if that's what you want), though such a tactic is a bit out of place for a Drop Troop army. I can see him having awesome effects in a Stormtrooper squad or something.

Quote:
Storm Troopers
Identical to C:IG except for DS & Valk dedicated transports
Absolutely awesome.

Quote:
Drop Sentinels
*snip*
Depending upon your choice of aircraft, these guys might end up being your main tank busters.

Quote:
Troops:
Drop Infantry Platoon
Same organization as C:IG except you take 1 less HW squad, 1 more SW squad & replace Conscripts with Drop Sentinels. That's right, you can have up to 27 sentinels in a list. Hehe. Lets look at specifics.
Makes sense from a Fluff perspective. Drop Sentinels have seen a reduction in cost from the previous incarnation in IA3, so you'll probably see at least a few of them in Elysian armies (at least, those that don't spam aircraft).

Quote:
Platoon Command Squad
These guys lose a LOT of options. Only one may take a special weapon though the Commander & Commissar can take Lasguns with AGLs. Also they can have a homing beacon & one Guardsman can take a Lascutter. Think S9 servo-arm. Also no sniper rifle or HWT options. I've been meaning to email & ask if the one spec wep limit is accidental or not.
Sad panda. That was one of the strengths of the Platoon Command, being able to outfit them with Sniper Rifles or Grenade Launchers and order some squads around. Ah, well.

Quote:
Infantry Squad
Wow, just...wow. A lot of Guard players are probably irritated to all hell with that one. Not being able to include a Heavy Weapon in their squads is going to hurt the big one.

Quote:
Heavy Weapons Squad
The addition of a dedicated transport is awesome, but something tells me that, since most heavy weapons can only be gotten in the HW squads and on vehicles, some Guard players are going to cram their list with as many HW squads as possible. Unless they want their heavy weapons on Aircraft spam.

Quote:
Special Weapon Squad
Awesome sauce.

Quote:
Veterans
Ok they're awesome still. Doctrines are intact & any vet can take AGLs though ironically the sarge can't. Can take a lascutter. HWT is again missing cannons.

Departmento Munitorum Warning: The stats are misprinted unless a Ld 9 HWT was intentional. Also the squad should have BS4 not BS3 as is printed. This last part has been confirmed in an email from Forge World. No word on the Ld but seriously, does a heavy weapon make you braver? Wait...
So are Veterans BS3 now? That's not going to be pretty...Nice to see doctrines made it through though.

Quote:
Vendettas
Unchanged but can officially fly in Apoc games.
Awesome Sauce.

Quote:
Tauros
*snip*

Tauros Venator
*snip*
YES. AWESOME.

Quote:
Cyclops Remote Control Demolition Vehicle.
Sneaky little bastards, not to mention they pack quite the punch if the enemy ignores them (which they probably wont). Still, a nice little gadget to eat up some spare points.

Quote:
Vulture Gunship
This is a very flexible unit choice. It can have a vast amount of options. Take a look at the IA1 update for details. For 15 points more than a fully decked out Valkyrie you can have a TL punisher cannon which if you take Vendettas, means you're covered for hordes & mech.
These and the Vendettas are probably going to be seeing a lot of use in Elysian lists.

Quote:
Sentry Gun Battery
*snip*
Once again, pretty cool little gadgets. Great for guarding against Outflankers and protecting guard squads.

Quote:
Valkyrie Sky Talon
Useful in the right situations, but I honestly can't see this being used in regular games, but I would definitely pick up a squadron for Apocalypse games.

Quote:
Naval Air Support
Either a Thunderbolt or Lightning fighter. An iffy prospect as non-IG players will not likely play you & even then IG only if they have Hydras or their own fighters. Save them for Apoc or aircraft heavy games.
Eh, yeah, leave 'em home unless you're playing Apocalypse. You'll probably have enough armor flying around with Valkyrie spam anyway.
Old 28 May 2010, 22:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnightCuron
Quote:
So are Veterans BS3 now? That's not going to be pretty...Nice to see doctrines made it through though.
The BS3 is a confirmed misprint from a FW email response I'll see if I can get a hold of the email from the guy who asked but failing that I have sent my own question. Again Veterans are supposed to be BS4. You're paying extra points for a reason.

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Old 29 May 2010, 12:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to DarkKnightCuron Send a message via MSN to DarkKnightCuron

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnightCuron
Quote:
The BS3 is a confirmed misprint from a FW email response I'll see if I can get a hold of the email from the guy who asked but failing that I have sent my own question. Again Veterans are supposed to be BS4. You're paying extra points for a reason.
Excellent, thanks for the clarification.
Old 29 May 2010, 14:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

Dang, I'm glad I picked up the book! I've always wanted to play Elysian, but with the new 5th Ed codex, it appeared to be more viable with just taking squadrons of Valkyries/Vendettas and loading them up with Veterans.

Sucks about the Astropath... But great about the AGLs! FW is going to be getting a lot of my money once I decide how I wanna run my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2010, 21:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Great post Malus. +1
Old 06 Jun 2010, 07:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Any word on which Auxilary Grenade launcher the book refers to, as well as what the homing beacon does?
Old 18 Jun 2010, 11:11   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hi, I found this thread when googling around the internet for some questions I had considering the IA8 Drop Troop Armylist. Since I noticed you had encountered some I hadn't even thought about I included some of them when I sent a mail to the IA-team and today I got the following response:

All quotes are written by:
Quote:
Tris Buckroyd
Forgeworld
Q. Which rules apply to the Auxilliary Grenade Launcher? Is it SM:Codex rules? Prior IA rules?

Quote:
A. The A.G.L uses the rules from Imperial Armour Volume 3 which are as follows:
One use only weapon, can be fired instead of Lasgun. Range. 12” Str. 6 Ap. 4 Assault 1.
Q. Which rules apply to the Homing Beacon? There is no description of these upgrades in the book.

Quote:
A. The Homing Beacon allows any unit that Deepstrikes within 12” of the model with the Beacon to re-roll the scatter dice. The Beacon must allready be on the table at the beginning of the turn in order for a squad to use this rule.
Elysian Company Command Squad:
Q. The lack of an astropath equivilent is to me very odd in an army that counts so much on deep striking, is this intentional, if that is the case, why?

Quote:
A. Elysians Have the Homing Beacons instead of Astropaths.
Elysian Company Command Squad & Elysian Platoon Command Squad:
Q. How come only one Veteran in this squad can be equipped with an assault weapon compared to the Codex:IG?
Or is this because one trooper can be armed with a lascutter? Wouldn't it be more suitable (in that case) to include the lascutter as a special weapon option and increase the number to up to 2 per squad, seeing as how the elysians are well equipped compared to the average IG-squads?

Quote:
A. Although Elysians have better equipment than regular Imperial Guard armies they not able to carry as much as they are being flown in.

Elysian Veteran Squad:
Q. Is it intentional that veterans have BS 3 (when the normal Codex:IG veterans have 4)? This has a HUGE impact on their function and reliablity!
Is it intentional that the heavy weapon teams in these veteran squads have WS 4 and Ld 9 (which is more than the sergeant leading them)?

Quote:
A. Replace the stat line in the Elysian list with the one in the Imperial Guard codex.

Cyclops Remote Control Demolition Vehicle:
Q. The unit composition mentions 1-3 cyclops each with 1 Guardsman as operator, I assume this means that each cyclops has its own operator, true?

Quote:
A. Each Cyclops has its’ own operator.

Vehicles and Vehicle Squadrons (Vendettas, Sentryguns, Cyclops Remote Control Demolition Vehicle):
Q. You are non-consistant in your description of unit compositions. In the Drop Troop army list many vehicles that you can purchase more than one of (for a single FOC) are described as being in a vehicle squadron (tauros, tauros venator, sentinels) (and thereby has to follow the vehicle squadron rules in the IG-codex and the W40k Rulebook). However there is no such mention on the Vendetta Squadron - are they a vehicle squadron in games or are they up to 3 vendettas bought as a single Fast Attack FOC that can later act alone on the table? Can you also clarify how this works with Sentry guns and Cyclops?

Quote:
A. The Vendettas should have Vehicle Squadron as part of their rules. The Sentry guns and Cyclops follow the coherency rules for Vehicle Squadrons.
Q. The Ork Dread Mob army list also inludes many vehicle mob choices (such as dread mobs, killa kan mob, kopta, grot tanks) that all lack the "vehicle squadron" (which they in many cases have in the Codex:Orks) in their composition description, does this mean that such an army for example can include vast amount of grot tanks all acting indepenently?

Quote:
A. All of these vehicles should have the Vehicle Squadron rules.
Special Characters:
Q.
The A-Company Command Tauros mentions that it can be used in any Elysian Army as a HQ while the other special characters (Captain Xhyst and his Sword Force Command squad aswell as Captain Thanstad) does not have this mention, is it ok to use these special characters in a any W40k game as HQ choices in a Drop Troop army aswell?

Quote:
A. These other characters can be used in regular Imperial Guard armies.
Hope these answers are of some assistance

Thanks for helping out our members with this information. Karma awarded. - USAFTACP
xenobiotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2010, 06:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thanks man. I hadn't had any word from Forge World despite 2 emails.

The Homing Beacon instead of Astropaths ruling is a bit weak since they're completely different but I suppose work with what ya got. The news that the 2 foot captains are usable by regular Guard is pretty awesome.

Old 19 Jun 2010, 10:36   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Indeed, the lack of an astropath and the reason for their absence is troubling. One would think that the Elysians would have made better use of Astropaths than any other Imperial Guard army. And in conjunction with the Homing Beacons (and not replaced by them) they would have been invaluable.

Sadly, as you say, one must work with what is given.
xenobiotic is offline   Reply With Quote